Harlem Unbound

redrick

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Harlem Unbound

I picked this up from my game store over the weekend, and while I will revisit this review once I've had the opportunity to read the book in its entirety, I want to say now that I have not been this excited or impressed by an RPG book since my childhood. The art is wonderful, unique and evocative. The book feels well presented and laid out. There is a ton of information about using Harlem as a backdrop for Cthulhu style horror, with setting background, new careers and monsters, information on famous harlem luminaries, and 4 adventures. Harlem Unbound encourages all players to take up the role of black investigators (to see Harlem from the inside, rather than an exotic other), and provides very helpful guidance for people playing characters of different racial backgrounds than them, with particular attention drawn to the realities of racism in 1920s (and contemporary) America.

I'll update this review when I've had a chance to read the book in its entirety, but my initial reactions are extremely positive.

Remove ads