• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harpoons used against dragons?

Lizard Lips

First Post
My players are going through Red Hand of Doom. They've realized they are up against many flying creatures (dragons, manticores, wyverns, etc.) and are trying to create tactics to even the odds.

Last game they constructed some harpoons, thethered them to unmovable objects with chains and used them to drag some manticores to the ground to pound on. I houseruled something on the fly and let them know the harpoon trick would work that night but I'd have to double check the rules if that was going to be a common tactics.

So, are there any existing rules for that?

IcyCool

First Post
There's actually stats for a harpoon in Complete Warrior, Frostburn, or PGtF, I can't remember which. You could check the rules on them for a start. Otherwise, you could treat them similar to a net.

frankthedm

First Post
Lizard Lips said:
So, are there any existing rules for that?
Yes there are and they are broken.

Harpoon Exotic ranged. 15 gp 1d8 Small / 1d10 / medium x2 crit, 30 ft. inc. 10 lb. PSW 107.

Harpoon: The harpoon is a broad−bladed spear forged with barbs. The shaft of the harpoon has a trailing rope attached to the control harpooned creatures. Though designed for hunting whales and other large sea creatures, the harpoon can be used on dry land.
If it deals damage, the harpoon lodges in an opponent who fails a Reflex saving throw (DC 10 + the damage dealt). A harpooned crea−ture moves at only half speed and cannot charge or run. If you control the trailing rope by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the harpooned creature can move only within the limits that the rope allows (the trailing rope is 30 feet long). If the harpooned creature attempts to cast a spell, it must succeed on a DC 15 Concentration check or lose the spell.

The harpooned creature can pull the harpoon from its wound if it has two free hands and takes a full−round action to do so, but it deals damage to itself equal to the initial damage the harpoon dealt. A character who succeeds on a DC 15 Heal check can remove a harpoon without further damage.

IcyCool

First Post
Yep, those are the rules I remember, but how exactly are they broken frank? Is it because they cause the creature to move half speed while harpooned?

IcyCool said:
Yep, those are the rules I remember, but how exactly are they broken frank? Is it because they cause the creature to move half speed while harpooned?

I wouldn't call it broken, but I personally don't like the fact that it doesn't list a specific break DC for the rope, or hitpoints and hardness for it. These things can easily be found elsewhere, but it would be handy. The rules are also silent on whether or not the speed limitation remains after the rope has been cut, but before the harpoon is removed. Just sloppy, IMO.

MarkB

Legend
I'd say that harpoons with chains attached to them (even mithral chains) would have drastically reduced flight characteristics compared to standard rope harpoons. And standard rope harpoons could easily be removed as an impediment with an application of dragon-breath.

pallandrome

First Post
also, since your PCs MADE these harpoons, they may not be put togeather well, especially if they had to subsist with "on hand" resources, like tying a rope to a spear and calling it a harpoon. Then again, you occasionally see a pc with craft:Improvised weapons +23 or some crazy crap, so who knows...

Remove ads