• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Harry Potter 4e

TheProphet

First Post
I agree. Unfortunately, the time I thought I could put into this last week and this week has been taken up by a larger RPG project. I'm going to need help on this.
We need to get to making up the spell list, first and foremost, I think. We need to convert the spells into levels, and figure out if they're at-will, encounter, or daily powers. Here's a complete list of every spell in all 7 books: HPL: Encyclopedia of Spells.
After spells, we'll write up the Wizard class, as well as the "Pacts" for each house.
After those, all we need to do is come up with the monsters and wonderous items, and we're good to go!

Khuxan

First Post
I agree. Unfortunately, the time I thought I could put into this last week and this week has been taken up by a larger RPG project. I'm going to need help on this.
We need to get to making up the spell list, first and foremost, I think. We need to convert the spells into levels, and figure out if they're at-will, encounter, or daily powers. Here's a complete list of every spell in all 7 books: HPL: Encyclopedia of Spells.
After spells, we'll write up the Wizard class, as well as the "Pacts" for each house.
After those, all we need to do is come up with the monsters and wonderous items, and we're good to go!

I respectfully disagree. I suggest someone mocks up one build of one class, with just enough low-level powers and no more. Then we can debate the direction of the class - e.g. would we prefer it to be skills-based, do we want power recharges, should potions be covered like alchemy, etc. I think it would be a real shame to convert all the spells, make the class and then realise the spells could have been better handled another way.

But I'm not the one doing the work, so advice is cheap :p

Narkaious

First Post
I agree Khuxan. While 4th allows for the best fit, I think there are a couple of things that should be handled differently. I like the idea of breaking down all the types(read classes) of magic into skills and using them like knowledges for certain things. I think Hermoine performing spells above her grade by making a "knowledge" check and burning an encounter or someother resource. So I think the first step would be deciding on these types of additions first. I like the idea of recharging but some mock-up spells would really be the determining factor for balance on that.

Narkaious

First Post
Bump.

I don't want this to die. I am at work and am still working on things but it might be awhile before any of it is ready to be posted

Virindi

First Post
So, I was looking through the PHB, DMG and MM, and realized that 4e is now the perfect opportunity for a fan-made Harry Potter RPG, using 4e rules. In 3.5, you had the problem of running out of spells, which went against the feeling of HP completely. Here is how I envision HP would work out:

You would have 4 classes: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin.

However, all four classes would draw off the same power list. There would be dozens of cantrips that could be picked up and learned, and rituals wouldn't take so long to cast, except for very important ones, such as the one that replenished Voldemort's body.

You would gain 2 levels before a school year was done, making characters just getting out of school 14th-15th level. At the paragon tier, they would choose a wizarding type of job as their paragon path, since at about 5th or 6th year you begin focusing on your future job.

Quidditch would be a simple skill challenge between the two teams, played back and forth until one of the seekers rolled a 20.

What do you all think? Would it be feasable? Who wants to help out?

I think this is a great idea. I think 4e would be a great edition to try this since HP is such a high magic type world. I hope this gets worked out and a sorta final draft gets released.

Hekate

First Post
First post!

I'm really hoping someone works on this, and I'd like to kick in my two knuts as well. My Potter-fu is strong, so if there's anyone organizing this, please contact me.

May I suggest that there be a list of the "standard spells" (the ones that are taught in school as part of the regular curriculum, like Lumos, Wingardium Leviosa, and Accio - most of them would be utility spells) and spells that are taught outside the regular curriculum (like the Patronus, Alohomora, Serpensortia, and most of the combat spells). There could be specialized "House" lists of spells commonly known to members of particular Houses. The really dangerous and/or useful spells are generally encountered out of class time, for some reason, so locating/researching/finding someone to teach you an advanced spell could be an important part of the game. From what I see of 4e, though, you don't really have to "learn" magic anymore, you just get the spells automatically when you level up. Back when I started playing (in the antediluvian era), you used to have to find another wizard to teach you spells and/or get them from scrolls and spellbooks - that was why spellbooks were so valuable - but that slowed things down after a while so that mechanic just went by the wayside. That would probably have to be reinstituted here. Someone like Hermione, with serious research skills, would be able to fish appropriate spells out of the huge but unorganized Hogwarts Library, learn them herself, and teach them to others. She might have a huge list of known spells, but have no more at-will, encounter or daily spells than anyone else. Alternatively, when you learn any spell, it starts as a Daily, then when you use it a certain number of times successfully, it becomes an Encounter, then eventually an At-Will. Thus each PC would develop an individualized "library" of spells which would vary from everyone else's, and their favorite, most used spells would be at-wills (e.g., Harry can do a Patronus at-will, but very few other people can - or need to - do it that well).

And while the charms, curses and jinxes are fairly easy, how would Transfiguration be handled?

Narkaious

First Post
Another question is how should potions be handled? The same as in 4e, a new sub-system, RP? I can see any number of possible solutions, but how do the people here want to handle it?

Khuxan

First Post
Another question is how should potions be handled? The same as in 4e, a new sub-system, RP? I can see any number of possible solutions, but how do the people here want to handle it?

I think Alchemy (from Adventurer's Vault) is the closest equivalent.

EDIT: Or the artificer, previewed in Dragon.

Last edited:

scarik

First Post
I don't think there's just one class.

I think there's at least 4 (1 for each role)

Hermione is clearly a Controller and Harry is a Defender while Ron is their tactician so he has some Leader characteristics.

Voldemort is a Solo Artillery/Skirmisher monster with Avada Kedavra as a Recharge power (Int vs Reflex, a Minion or Bloodied target is killed, otherwise Xd6 + Int and Dazed to represent dodging aside at the last second)

chimeforest

First Post
Harry Potter 4e?

'Ello everyone,

I just started reading this thread today, and I got to about Sept 27th and I got one of my creative brain-storm-zap things and immediatly started writing it down.

So, here is some of what I thought of. Anything between two question marks mean I am unsure what an exact value should be.

Harry Potter 4e

Class: Wizard
Class Paths: Gryffindor
Hufflepuff
Ravenclaw
Slytherin
Feats: Expedient Learing
Repetitive Practice
Research
Cross House Learning
Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player Paths: Chaser
Keeper
Beater
Seeker
Now to explain all that in more detail. Since I am not as familliar with Harry Potter as I once was, I will use DnD Spells as examples.

OK, First to explain Wizard Paths (or if you prefer 'Pacts').
Paths are which house the character is leans toward, and is not always the house they are placed into. For instance: Neville Longbottom. Neville was placed into Gryffindor,however he learns very much toward Hufflepuff, with how he acts and how he knows so much about herbology. Therefore I would place him in the Hufflepuff Path.

Each path gives you a couple bonuses and access to special spells.
Most spells are available to everyone, but some are reserved for special paths or people who 'multi-path' (lol). Such as Slytherin and the 'unforgivables'

Examples :

Wizard Path Gryffindor:
You Like to get into the fight and start courageously blasting your opponents away.
+1 to Attacks on Offinsive Single Target spells (like magic missile)
+3 to damage with Offinsive Single Target spells
You can use spells with the keyword 'Gryffindor'

Wizard Path Ravenclaw:
You have a higher degree of intellect and know that powerful spells placed in the correct spot will help your friends.
+1 to Attacks on Offensive Mulit-Target spells (such as Freezing Cloud ?or Flaming Sphere?)
+?2? to damage with Offensive Mulit-Target spells
You can use spells with the keyword 'Ravenclaw'

Wizard Path Hufflepuff:
You may not be as smart or brave as other people, but when it come to helping out you will never let your friends down.
Replace Ritual Caster with Alchemy
?+1 to the effects of potions made and hebology checks?
+1 to Healing spells you cast (Healing Word)
You can use spells with the keyword 'Hufflepuff'

Wizard Path Slytherin:
You know that true power belongs to those who are unafraid to use it. A weekened opponent is a good one. A dead one is even better.
+1 to effects of cursing and spells which inflict psychic dammage.(Eyebite)
+1 to sneak checks if you are doing somthing dastardly or evil.
On a sucessful hit you may decide to inflict +1 ongoing non-stacking damage (save ends)
You can use spells with the keyword 'Slytherin'

Well, those are what I have so far with Paths. I kind of just added some stuff to them as I typed. . . Oh well. Anyway, what these paths still need are some balancing out and deciding which spells are super special to which paths. and also which spells to adapt into HP from DnD, because I don't think there are enough HP spells to to go around . . . not to lvl 30 at least.

Oh, and one more note on this subject, I decided to use Alchemy for potion making, so eventualy there will need to be lists of potions that can be made and what is needed to make them . . . etc.

Ok, Now to the Second part of my BrainStorm: Feats

Expedient Learing:
You are incredibly gifted or smart, and you can learn spells beyond your years.
Learn a spell which is ?1-2? levels above your current Level.

Repetitive Practice:
You have Practiced a spell so many times that you now can cast it with less effort.
You can now cast a spell once more per day or encounter then you used to. You may take this feat mulitpule times, However you can not excede ?+2? times more with the same spell. You must already know the spell you chose, and it must be your current level or lower.

Research:
You have spent hours in the Magical Library, and just now found the formula that you need.
Add a Potion(Alchemy) or Ritual of your level or lower to your Potions or Ritual book.

Cross House Learning:
You have spend time with members of anouther house and learned a secret or two.
Learn a spell which is at least ?1-3? levels lower than you current level and which has a keyword of a different path then you.

These are the main feats which I have created (I will explain the Quidditch ones later). At first they started out as one feat, then I divided them into 3, then 4 feats. I made these feats to explain some of the questions brought up earlier in this thread. How does Hermione know advanced spells? : Expedient Learing. How does 'He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named' (lol) able to use the ?daily or encounter? spell 'Avada Kedavra' like crazy? : Repetitive Practice.

As for the Quidditch Player feat. I read the descrtption at the begining of this thread about quidditch, and it sounded a little . . boring (no offence intended). I thought it would be more fun if the players actually played out the game on a battle feild (or 'Quidditch feild') with peices and grids and everything. The players would take the feat and gain a path in quidditch (much like the class paths). Players chose a path, get a bonus or two to a skill and be able to use special 'quidditch powers' that belong to their path and also use 'powers' which all quidditch players can use.

When a player plays a game they use the 'powers' and make skill checks against their opponents. Powers would be things like 'Dodge Bludger' and 'Quick Turn'. Special Powers would be like 'Spot Snitch', 'Hit Bludger', 'Toss Quaffle', and 'Block Quaffle'.

Of course, flying would have different physics than walking, and I have most(some) of it figured out in my head, and I will descripe all the Quidditch stuff later, I hav'nt written that much down, and I need to do that now before i forget it, and my brainstorm vanishes.

Feel free to comment and ask questtions. Just don't be to critical, I just thought of all of this today in a matter of hours and it stills has a few, . . . ok, it have several holes in it XD.

I hope this counts as a 'Bump'. and I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors have I made.

Sincerly,
Chimeforest

Last edited:

Remove ads