Has any game ever made the jump from Kickstarter to mass market?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've definately seen Numenara places other than nerd stores, and have met a dozen or so people who have gotten into role playing games from that.

kalil

Explorer
I've definately seen Numenara places other than nerd stores, and have met a dozen or so people who have gotten into role playing games from that.

There is probably a significant regional variation. Around here Numenera didnt even make it to nerd stores. The only way to get a physical copy is private import.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
There is probably a significant regional variation. Around here Numenera didnt even make it to nerd stores. The only way to get a physical copy is private import.

I was wondering dring about the regional effects too. Back in the day I lived in central Indiana, and my FLGS stocked tons of small-press stuff out of Chicago, but very little from Seattle or L.A.

My FLGS where I live in Massachusetts carries the PF Primeval Thule book and Numenera (plus some other small-press stuff). But just an hour east of there, the FLGS carries neither of those but does stock a bunch of stuff ive never heard of.

Of course this is kind of my point, in a way. Kickstarter is a great way of providing specific products to a very specific audience, but I have doubts about its ability to get the products beyond the core devotees.

Which has always been a small-press issue. Butbi would have hoped that online presence would have alleviated it somewhat.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, KS does alleviate it somewhat by making it more known online than it would be otherwise. Whether or not it also puts more books in stores, idk. But it's not like online sales are less of an indicator of how big something is.

Personally I wouldn't count revised versions of games. So things like Feng Shui and Exalted don't count in my book.

The most successful Kickstarter of an RPG outside of revised versions of RPGs is probably Numenera. So I guess the answer to successfully Kickstarting a RPG is simply to be Monte Cook!

Remove ads