• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone cancelled their D&D Beyond subscription as a protests over the OGL?

For me, my sub is paid until June (annual plan). We should know more about the OGL by then. Until this gets sorted out I won’t be buying more content but I don’t think there was anything I was super excited about in the near future anyway.
Same, except I'm paid through October. I'll likely cancel anyhow as @Ruin Explorer suggested since there's plenty of time and they get the immediate feedback.

I would like to copy some of the material out of it, such as the Dragonlance MC stat blocks. Does anyone know of any good clean templates out there for monster stat blocks?

Last edited:

Uthgar

Explorer
I am canceling my master tier account in march when it is up for renewal. I will tell the players to transfer to paper while we finish the adventure. After we are done we will be moving to a different system. We will be moving to PF2e but one of our players loves RuneQuest so we may try that first.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I use it for the game with my 13yo and his friends - several of whom have no books and are using the options I bought on it. If it was just my games with my friends (none currently going on) it would be gone.

Anyway, I will be bringing it up at tonight's game with them.

Ondath

Hero
I didn't have any Beyond subscriptions, but I still sent a mail to delete my account and gave the OGL going away as the reason. Thing is, I have A LOT of homebrew items (some of them published and open to the public) and I fear if they stay on Beyond they might be "automatically transferred" to OGL v1.1 and them existing under OGL v1.1 could be taken as a tacit acceptance of the new license in some way. I know it's slightly paranoid, but I just want to cover my bases and honestly Beyond doesn't matter to me that much since I'm a free user anyway.

Dausuul

Legend
I am canceling my master tier account in march when it is up for renewal. I will tell the players to transfer to paper while we finish the adventure. After we are done we will be moving to a different system. We will be moving to PF2e but one of our players loves RuneQuest so we may try that first.
You don't lose the benefits until your subscription period ends, so I'd strongly suggest canceling now, while Wizards is still contemplating how to deal with the situation and the message "We're losing subscribers!" will have maximum impact. It won't disrupt your game.

This is what I just did. Myself, I'm moving off DDB immediately, and I'm going to urge the rest of my group to follow suit; but those who aren't quite ready will still be able to use the benefits of my Master tier subscription until its expiration date.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The idea of renting content from a 3PP never appealed so I never paid them anything. I have deleted my years-old account and told them why.

No.

Watching this forum get itself into a lather over something 99.9% of D&D players don't care about or even have heard about is bizarre. Talk about an echo chamber!

It will be amusing if the supposed leak isn't even true.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Same, except I'm paid through October. I'll likely cancel anyhow as @Ruin Explorer suggested since there's plenty of time and they get the immediate feedback.

I would like to copy some of the material out of it, such as the Dragonlance MC stat blocks. Does anyone know of any good clean templates out there for monster stat blocks?

Many VTTs will import monsters from your D&D Beyond account to their platform.

fjw70

Adventurer
No.

Watching this forum get itself into a lather over something 99.9% of D&D players don't care about or even have heard about is bizarre. Talk about an echo chamber!

It will be amusing if the supposed leak isn't even true.
We will never know if the leaks were true if they change it prior to release. The boycott ideas is a way to pressure them to make those changes.

A boycott from me is pretty easy right now. I have nothing to give them money for anytime soon.

Remove ads