D&D 5E Has anyone ever run an Arcane Age (FR) campaign?

Davelozzi

Explorer
I've recently been digging through some boxes of old D&D stuff in my basement and was looking at some of the Arcane Age supplements that came out late in the 2e era for Forgotten Realms. Netheril: Empire of Magic and Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves detailed those two ancient (by present day FR standards) cultures back in their respective heydays, and included (limited) rules for time travel.

Anyhow, I was just curious if anyone ever got any good mileage out of them, either with a time traveling campaign or with a campaign that was entirely set during one of these historical eras?

For my part, I ran a Realms campaign when I was young where the party's main focus was unearthing lore of ancient Netheril, but that was back when almost nothing in the way of details had ever been published. The campaign was set around 1357/1358 D.R. and while I thought about the campaign eventually taking them back in time to the height and/or fall of Netheril, we never made it that far, and by the time these products came out in the mi/late 90s, that campaign was long since on indefinite hiatus so I never used them as anything other than reading material.

note: I didn't post this in the 2e/old editions forum because even though these products came out then, for the purpose of my question, game edition is irrelevant, it's more about the subject matter. Mods can feel free to move it if need be.

dagger

Adventurer
We did an Arcane Age Myth Drannor one...

Basically we used the magic spell thats in one of those Arcane Age box sets (can't remember which one) to go back in time. Our goal was to prevent the fall of Myth Drannor...this was AD&D 1e (with some 2e mixed in). It was so long ago I don't remember all of the details but I know Myth Drannor was still destroyed. :)

Remove ads