• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

has anyone played/dm'd shadow run?

Tsyr

Explorer
Actualy, I had another thought.

Played Deus Ex, System Shock 2 (Without the space aspect), or Anarchy Online? Both of those are about as close as a computer game has come to Shadowrun (I'm not counting the SNES and Genesis shadowrun carts... I was very unimpressed with those)

Bull

First Post
I REALLY gotta get around to doing up a page or something for this sort of thing... Between answering "Is Shadowrun cool" and "What happened to FASA" emails... <laugh>

Ok.. First off, Shadowrun is very cool, IMNSHO. It's got a great world witha dynamic backstory, and the events and storyline progress as the books are published, rather than it beinga fairly static game.

No, it's not d20. As someone mentioned, there was indeed a sign at the FanPro booth at Gen Con last year that included the statement that "NO, we're not doing a D20 version". This was in response to a handful of WotC reps (And a few others) coming over and asking "When are you guys doing D20?" To be blunt, the d20 market is glutted with crap right now, and unless the product is D&D, it's not gonna survive for long.

A lot of good points have been raised about the overall style of the game. It's very freeform. You can play whatever you want. The setting is a nice mixture of Fantasy, with elves, dragons and magic, and Cyberpunk, with cyberware, hacking, and megacorps (Which are key to the entire Cyberpunk setting).

Combat and a lot of other stuff can get bogged down, but if you know the rules, it's not big deal. Mass combats don;t run any slower for it than they do for D&D, in general. Often, they can be far shorter, since SR is a bit deadlier a lot of times.

Overall, it's a great setting, and a good game to check out if you get the chance.

And for anyone that's interested and planning to be at Gen Con or Origins, I hav a team of GMs that handles the TOurnament and other SR games for FanPro. We'll be running a whole drekload of demo's and other games this year, plus doing something a little bit new that we're calling Shadowrun 101.

The core idea is that we get a handful of Experts (Freelancers and writers for the Shaodwrun game) to do a short seminar on each of the major sections of the Shadowrun rules, giving an example of play and fielding questions about the rules, helping both new players learn the game and giving exstablished players and GMs answers to rules questions or ideas for using those rules more effectively in your games.

Watch either the official Shadowrun Website or Bull's Place, my own web site for more details and information about Shadowrun at the conventions...

Bull

Scarab

First Post
I love Shadowrun - it's my favorite RPG and I have lots of stuff for it.

SR even has it's own Tomb of Horrors - the Renraku Arcology. <evil DM grin>

Yeah, the "Bucket O' Dice" system can bog the game down when you're rolling resistance for a troll with Body 18... but other than that I don't have any complaints at all about it.

SonOfLilith

First Post
I love shadowrun. It is not d20, and runs on all d6's. The one thing I really love about the game is the damage system. There are no Hit points. Instead, there is a damage meter that is exactly the same for each person, no mater how powerful. This way, a bullet hurts your average guy as much as the most BA metalhead in seatle. Also, there is no reserect spell, and since my players opted to play w/o magic (they like it better that way) no heal spell eather, so if you die, your dead, and if you get a bad wound, it's there for weeks. Right now my players are in an epic-style campain, and they are having tons of fun.

Rayston

First Post
Shadowrun Seattle : MUSH

Thats odd I recently posted about the Shadowrun MUSH I play on and then this post comes up. the post is at this link

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?threadid=3656

and said this

[OT] Shadowrun Seattle: MUSH
I know its WAAAAY off topic (heck its not even the right rules system)

but I still thought Id post my favorite place to game

Shadowrun Seattle: MUSH

I just thought Id spam out my favorite place to Play shadowrun to all
you guys.

shadowrun.dnaco.net 4201

Its a Shadowrun MUSH

for info on MUSH'es and all MU*'s for that matter you can go to

http://www.mudconnector.com

You can connect to the MUSH with just a simple telnet client but I
would suggest getting a real MU* client

a good one is available at

http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/

and you can find out more about this MUSH at

http://www.dnaco.net/~shadow

although I admit our webpage is admittedly a little out of date.

you can go ahead and email me directly at rayston@y... if you
have any questions.

But like they said before, no its not D20, and although I absoloutely love D20, I dont think shadowrun should be converted to it, I am apparently one of the few that LIKE the "bucket of d6's" system, I think it fits the setting.

Rayston

Scarab

First Post
Re: Shadowrun Seattle : MUSH

Rayston said:
But like they said before, no its not D20, and although I absoloutely love D20, I dont think shadowrun should be converted to it, I am apparently one of the few that LIKE the "bucket of d6's" system, I think it fits the setting.
Rayston

Yup, I love it too. I have a certain dislike for systems with linear difficulties -- with games like Shadowrun and GURPS you get a nice bell curve.

EOL

First Post
I'm sure this thread already has enough people who played Shadowrun many years ago, but in case it could use one more. I liked the setting quite a bit, the buckets of d6's was cumbersome, but manageable. In a fashion similar to RIFTS it often seemed to be trying to do too much all at once with a lack of cohesion between the seperate elements. Finally it didn't seem to level very well. Starting PC's were very similar to more advanced PC's.

All that being said I still look back on it with fondness.

Rayston

First Post
Levelling?

Have you played the Third Edition of shadowrun at all?

I played second for like one session, and first none at all, but I have heard that the levelling differences were largely fixed with the latest editions.

once again, if anyone is interested in playing Shadowrun again, check out Shadowrun Seattle: MUSH at

shadowrun.dnaco.net 4201

or at least check out our hopelessly outdated but still serviceable webpage at

http://www.dnaco.net/~shadow

Rayston
The guy wholl shamelessly plug to get more people to RP with.

Fenes

First Post
I GM a weekly shadowrun campaign, and have done so for 10 years. The setting has a few inconsistencies, but imho it is better balanced for high "levels" than D&D - a bullet from a gun is still deadly. The system itself is very flexible, but not well suited to sustain a drawn-out melee-heavy combat. Gunfights on the other hand... nothing like hitpoints there, if you have four more successes with your attack test than the target has on its dodge test and damage resistance test combined, your heavy pistol round just killed the target.
Magic, while powerful, is balanced against mundane, damage wise. You cast a fireball, the soldier throws a white-phosphorus grenade, and follws through with a few bursts from his assault rifle.

Our current PCs are running the shadows in Miami, working for the Mob, hunting pirates, dodging voodoo-masters, meddling in the affairs of a secret circle of mages, and trying to stay one step ahead of the loan sharks.

Remove ads