D&D General Has anyone seen this Wired article about using D&D to teach AIs?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Nice find!

I am not surprised and think it is pretty cool. My work with ITS (Intelligent Tutoring Systems) was nearly 15 years ago, but we had some tie-ins to AI, although very rudimentary.

NotAYakk

Legend
The "text adventure" AI gives me hope for having an AI that generates towns, NPCs and other details I can harvest, ideally from provided seeds and constraints.

Or even better, generates a west marches style map on which I can overlay an adventure.

Or even better, takes as input the skeleton of an adventure, and fleshes it out into a west marches style map.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I recall, the terminator John Henry was being taught role playing games by Matt Murch. He then learned how to roll a D20 and get a 20 every time...

“Twenty.”

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Sounds interesting. Having an artificially intelligent GM for D&D, etc, would certainly be a nice option at times. But I'll be much less enthusiastic when researchers start working on D&D player AIs.

murderhobo_exe.jpg

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
First they came for my bank's cashier, then they came for my car, then they came for my job.

Now they're coming for my role as DM? Where will it end? Time to wake up sheeple and rise up against the machines! ;)
I for one welcome our new robot overlords

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Interesting to hear that AI driven DMing is being explored but as the article indicated it is a long way off. AI can understand the structure of language but we've struggled to give them any comprehension of meaning or context. Knowing what the words you're spitting out actually mean is pretty key for any back and forth dialogue to make any sense.

Remove ads