Has anyone tried gaming via webcam?

broghammerj

Explorer
After having moved away from my two previous groups, starting a new job, and an expanding family, I really don't have time to go out and find a new group. Given the DDI game table release is about as eminent as the apocalypse I have to find an alternative to itch where I scratch.

I had the idea of sitting in with the old group via the webcam. Their end could focus on the battlemat during combat or on the DM during roleplaying. I was just wondering if anyone had given it a go.

primarchone

Explorer
After having moved away from my two previous groups, starting a new job, and an expanding family, I really don't have time to go out and find a new group. Given the DDI game table release is about as eminent as the apocalypse I have to find an alternative to itch where I scratch.

I had the idea of sitting in with the old group via the webcam. Their end could focus on the battlemat during combat or on the DM during roleplaying. I was just wondering if anyone had given it a go.

Hi!

I'm about to attempt the same thing... with a twist.

I have 3 players physically where I live and two more whom live far away.

We are going to start to play adding the two remote players via webcams.

It would be nice to see if anyone has recommendations as to what webcams to use.

Primarchone

Irda Ranger

First Post
Sure, PBVC - Play By Videoconference.

My group includes a player who has somewhat of a longish drive. When he doesn't feel like making the trip we use Skype. We have a MacBook set up in his normal seat at the end of the table. He see everyone using the built in webcam and we can all just look downtable to see him.

But it only works with two locations. I think if more than two locations were on webcam it would fall apart. That's been my experience with videoconferencing at work.

lrsach01

Explorer
Our group has had a person playing online for 10 years now. The best system for us is Skype. It has been rock solid although the preview camera image is really small and makes it a bit more difficult for us to adjust the camera for him so he can see our game board. The biggest problem he has is keeping track of the conversation when lots of people talk at once.

In the past, we have had others try to play online at the same time (including myself). Skype doesn't support more than one camera at a time in the same chat. For these times, we've had to go to Yahoo Messenger. The image isn't as good, but sound still works great and more than one person can play from afar. The problem with Yahoo is that it suffers in times of high usage (Mother's Day is ALWAYS a killer).

One other tip, get as small a tripod as possible so the camera can get really close to the board.

broghammerj

Explorer
Has anyone used Windows Messenger Live? I use this to communicate with my out of town parents and in laws. I am familiar with skype because my au pair used to call home to Poland but I have never actually tried skype. Mostly because it would take to long to explain to my parents how to install the program onto the computer.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Another vote for skype and a good set of web tools. We used skrbl (a shared whiteboard at skrbl: easy to share online whiteboard) to very good effect last week. We don't bother with cameras, just voice. And one player was doing typed chat only because his girlfriend was sleeping a few feet away.

Our players for that game are scattered all over (Texas, Vermont, Canada), so the online solution was a necessity. We haven't tried any of the "real" online game toolsets.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Our remote gamer has tried to use the webcam to game with us. We have had little success with it. Skype spikes our systems to 100% of CPU load (Skype, after 30 minutes, uses your system to help route calls...), audio on other apps is choppy... we just haven't had much success at all, really.

Nebulous

Legend

Our remote gamer has tried to use the webcam to game with us. We have had little success with it. Skype spikes our systems to 100% of CPU load (Skype, after 30 minutes, uses your system to help route calls...), audio on other apps is choppy... we just haven't had much success at all, really.

That's disappointing to hear. My brother lives out of state and we'd like to get him back into the game. We play a pretty regular table top game, and i'm not too keen on the interactive web stuff, although i do hear good things about them. (map tools, fantasy grounds, VTT. etc, well, not VTT yet)

Does anyone else have severe audio problems with hearing the remote player? How well can that player hear everyone else? And is there an easy way to pick up the camera to give that player a close up of the board? We play a pretty combat heavy campaign, so a good view of the battle board would be important.

Lastly, does an expensive camera give you much over a cheaper one?

Prism

Explorer
Hi

We have one of our remote players using a webcam based setup from his house and the rest of us are at another location. We have used both Skype and Windows live messenger which both work well. I have to say at the moment we are using Skpe as the voice quality sounds a little better (It pains me to say that with my job requiring me to be a MS fanboy!)

We use a pretty decent webcam on a stand at the side where most of us are, inc board and figures. We move the webcam a bit closer to the action during combat and back out for general stuff. Ideally having two webcams - one on the board and another the room would be ideal but neither of these pieces of software support dual cams. We may investigate conferencing software in the future such as GoToMeeting or Live Meeting.

Its certainly worth a try and although its not as good as having our mate in the room with us its the next best thing

Remove ads