Has anyone tried gaming via webcam?

Troll Wizard

First Post
After having moved away from my two previous groups, starting a new job, and an expanding family, I really don't have time to go out and find a new group. Given the DDI game table release is about as eminent as the apocalypse I have to find an alternative to itch where I scratch.

I had the idea of sitting in with the old group via the webcam. Their end could focus on the battlemat during combat or on the DM during roleplaying. I was just wondering if anyone had given it a go.

For us it works great, we got one player right now in Japan for a 1 year as a english teacher. We play at my house in Leesburg, Virginia

We use Skype for the video and audio.

The video cam (logitech - USB) is setup to capture the battlemap, he has no problem seeing the minis and squares to provide detailed move orders for his character.

I use a $14.88 large mic I bought at Best Buy so everyone at the table (4'x8') can speak, and a set of 20W speakers - both are connected to my ASUS laptop.

My connection is Verizon FIOS with 8 Meg speed, so there is no lag in video or voice. Actually everyone was surprised how sharp and clear the voice was and voice lag was barely a second. Just have to be careful not too many people speak at the same time.

Also I have no CPU issues with Skype, I simultaneous run IE, MS Word, MS Excel since my adventures, combat charts, etc. are all run on the laptop and "wirelessly" (about 20’ from the router).

lrsach01

Explorer

Our remote gamer has tried to use the webcam to game with us. We have had little success with it. Skype spikes our systems to 100% of CPU load (Skype, after 30 minutes, uses your system to help route calls...), audio on other apps is choppy... we just haven't had much success at all, really.

We've been using Skype for about 2 years now with out problems... EXCEPT for the time we tried to use the laptop running WinXP and only having 256 megs of RAM.

Ranger REG

Explorer
After having moved away from my two previous groups, starting a new job, and an expanding family, I really don't have time to go out and find a new group. Given the DDI game table release is about as eminent as the apocalypse I have to find an alternative to itch where I scratch.

I had the idea of sitting in with the old group via the webcam. Their end could focus on the battlemat during combat or on the DM during roleplaying. I was just wondering if anyone had given it a go.
Isn't that like taking LARP to a whole 'nother level?

I've been thinking about this. Let me know how you pulled it off.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I really do not understand why more people do not use KLOOGE WERKS.

It's a great piece of software. It's relatively cheap for the DM and free for the players. Combined with Skype, it works quite well.

SuperGnome

First Post
I really do not understand why more people do not use KLOOGE WERKS.

It's a great piece of software. It's relatively cheap for the DM and free for the players. Combined with Skype, it works quite well.

Klooge isn't free for the players unless the DM buys licenses, just to clarify. I actually do use Klooge (currently to play, but i have run games in the past) and find it fantastic.

I found this thread because I too am thinking about working in a webcam to my tabletop game. I don't want everyone at the table looking at screens, I want them just playing D&D old school. Paper, books, dice, etc... That rules out klooge in this case for me at least. The webcam would fit in for an avatar of sorts of those who can't make the drive for whatever reason. It would result in a near transparent remote player. We all talk, look at the battlemap, and play. Heck, the remote dude(s) can point a cam at their dice when they roll!

As for cams:
I have a couple cheap cams that work... well, cheaply I guess. Some other options are Logitech Quickcam Orbit AF or Creative Live! Motion. You can actually remotely control these via the web (the Logi requires 3rd party software like the free eyespyfx). The Logi is apparently far superior for image quality, and works great in low light. The Creative is subpar for the price, but apparently includes remote control software. You then could have the remote player looking around the table, zooming in, etc... I love that idea, but the price of admission is rather high.

elion

First Post
would like to join a group

Hi guys,

Im actully a swedish guy but I ould liek to join one of your group and play by webcam, I have played so many RPG since I was a kid and now it is hard to find a group here so Im trying my luck overseas. So, Im open to any kind of Rpg game with a fun group, please send me an email.

elielilemasabachtani@hotmail.com

if I may join a group,
kind regards
THeo

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases