• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has lack of an insider account kept you from playing 4E?

Dausuul

Legend
dongshi said:

Reported.

To the OP: A couple of us in my group have DDI; those who do allow the others to use the character builder. But I don't think any of us would object to somebody building a character the old-fashioned way. I certainly wouldn't.

Dan'L

First Post
While I don't think this is at all a common occurrence, it makes me angry to hear.

I think my reply to such an attitude would be something snarky and along the lines that I would be happy to get a DDI sub and a working Character Builder, as long as someone would buy me a new PC to use them with -- because until CB is Mac compatible, it just can't happen here.

-Dan'L

Obryn

Hero
There are three of us in the group with a DDI account. The other players just use my account - we work on their characters before or after sessions.

-O

wolfpunk

First Post
No.

Admin here. Pithy phrasing, but this falls under the category of "threadcrap," don't you think? It doesn't matter to us at all what game rules you like, love or hate, but we ask that people not drop that opinion into unrelated threads where it adds nothing other than arguments.

PM me if this is in any way unclear. ~ Piratecat

Last edited:

unan oranis

First Post
I don't think it is weird to insist all characters are printed out via CB.

But that is super whack if they are not providing access to the CB for you, or will not input your home-made sheet into a laptop or something.

--

If you do have access to it but just don't wanna; have you considered that some players are kind of... fudgy?

I've known gamers who were top marks in every category except bookkeeping. And by that I mean extremely poor score in bookkeeping.

It is possible these other dm's are really insisting on the CB because they have one or more of these loosey-goosey gamers present, and it's not at all to do with your skills/ability to maintain a clean sheet.

unan oranis

First Post
regarding the actual question/topic:

If I did not have access to dnd insider, I would most likely not play 4e. I just can't go back.

I'd make some messed up mutant hybrid of 3.5 and 4. If I'm going to be drowned in fiddly bits they might as well be home brewed.

P

PaulofCthulhu

This sounds like a sorry situation. Not unexpected at the outset that it might happen, but that it's actually ocurring is rather sad. Something designed as a help, proving to be a hinderance to you.

As for your question as to whether it's a common occurence, all I could say is that it's not the case in our neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Pig Champion

First Post
For me, this is one of the problems with 4E. The way people view it, it's like because we get cool things like DDI and power cards etc that, that is all the game is.

I haven't come across any attitudes like this but I think it's not in the spirit of the game. Although it's a blessing in disguise, you have stumbled upon a jerk filter. I wish I had a gaming jerk filter.

Personally, errata is a non-issue. If I come across something I don't like for various reasons I'll change it there and then. I don't need a DDI account to tell me what to do. I hope you find similar DM's for your sake.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
We use DDI, and all the final sheets go through it, but may players just update it on their own with the books first. We could do it w/o DDI, but it does add significant convenience like HeroForge does for 3.x.

We generally follow the errata straight, so the CB is a big help here.

Remove ads