Has lack of an insider account kept you from playing 4E?

Festivus

First Post
To me, the main benefit of the Character Builder is that I don't have to go through and revise all my skills, powers, basic attacks, etc. every time I level. (Edit: By this I mean, if it's an even level, increase it by 1... yeah it's not that hard to do by hand)

Plus, the Character Builder keeps track of things like retraining for me, a journal of my characters adventures, what experience, treasure, various notes (like what level did I take a feat or power as well as free form notes about the adventure), not to mention a standardized way to share my character sheet with just about anyone who asks:

[sblock]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Chadeaux Creeper, level 10
Halfling, Rogue
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Rogue: Rogue Weapon Talent
Background: Amn

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 13, Dex 20, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 25 Fort: 18 Reflex: 24 Will: 21
HP: 70 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +17, Thievery +17, Insight +10, Perception +10, Acrobatics +17, Bluff +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +6, Heal +5, History +5, Intimidate +9, Nature +5, Religion +5, Streetwise +9, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Lucky Skirmisher
Level 4: Slaying Action
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 8: Nimble Blade
Level 10: Durable

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike (retrained to Deft Strike at Level 3)
Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue encounter 1: Dazing Strike
Rogue daily 1: Easy Target (retrained to Handspring Assault at Level 2)
Rogue utility 2: Tumble
Rogue encounter 3: Bait and Switch
Rogue daily 5: Downward Spiral
Rogue utility 6: Ignoble Escape
Rogue encounter 7: From the Shadows
Rogue daily 9: Knockout
Rogue utility 10: Daring Gamble

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (7), Vicious Dagger +2, Bracers of Defense (heroic tier), Elven Cloak +2, Elven Boots (paragon tier), Challenge-Seeking Dagger +3, Gambler's Suit Leather Armor +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

It's really been quite helpful for me to track my characters.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
I haven't tried 4E yet for various reasons, with the main reason being that I'm quite happy with BFRPG as-is, even though reading through the test-drive 4E rules looked quite promising.

However, the fact that the default for playing 4E seems to be using a computer program to assist in chargen and levelling worries me as a potential future user; is the system so complex that computer assiatnace is recommended for its use?
It depends on what you're using, source-wise. :)

If you're running a book-based game, and not including anything from Dragon, IMO it's perfectly manageable with pen & paper. Heck; add in PHB 2 and 3, and the various X Power books, and you're still probably looking at 2-3 books, max, per character. Character Builder is still good for a shortcut - but it's far from necessary, especially with low-level characters.

If you're using Dragon material, your available material will come close to doubling. This will make it much less-manageable.

-O

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Look around you. Your internet's a subscription. Your TV is probably one or more subscriptions (cable/satellite, Netflix, TiVo, etc). Your video games are built with only so much replay value, so that you'll come back and buy more...

As a business model, having you pay once just isn't all that great. So, when the company has to measure their invested resources against all those other media and entertainments that have you subscribing and buying over and over... no, just buying a book really isn't good enough any more.

Yup its a business model that makes sense in this day and age.

But as was stated, many here on EnWorld entered the RPG World during the dark days for CharGen's. Heck we foamed at the mouth when we were teased about it in 2E. :D

But to the OP, I can say not having a DDI account has in no way shape or form kept me out of a 4E game. And neither has not having a single physical 4E book.
I'm currently in a 4E game and doing just fine. The DM helped me create a character for it using his CB. I've done just fine updating it via pencil after he printed it off. When I leveled he simply updated his copy of the CB file.
My group understands I'm not the largest of 4E fans. Somethings I like, many I don't. But we don't let it stand in the way of having a good time playing. We will be back to 3.xx soon enough.
(Yes I've since 'acquired' a copy of the CB and update, but that is just used for printing off a new sheet when I level up.)

Personally, much like EnWorld and its Subscriptions, DnD isn't so big a part of my life that I can really justify the expense of a monthly payment for the benefit of the software I could receive. It doesn't have an appeal level to break my wallet out of my pocket. If it somehow magically added in a CharGen for previous editions, I would most likely break it out in a heartbeat and grab up a paid for copy.

Requiring a subscription to me seems quite silly. Not so much an elitist thing though. Perhaps like others said, there have been issues in the group prior to your coming along. Perhaps its the DM's way of preventing 'illegal copies' of things appearing at his table.

Don't know what to tell you on it. Just go with the DM willing to work with you when your schedule allows. Don't sweat the small stuff, you just turn old and gray.

Remove ads