D&D General Has the meaning of Roleplaying changed? my own thought.

Jay Murphy1

Meterion, Mastermind of Time !
I don't think roleplaying has so much changed as I've changed. I'm an adult now and play a much better game then I did at 11 years old. When DnD came about, or say Traveller, the roleplaying, the quality of a game being played was pretty sophisticated right out of the gate when being played by adults. All the complaints of DnD being a tactical skirmish game or combat is boring I think reflects a young person's experience of playing a sophisticated game as a kid. You just are not that plugged in to potential inherent in the medium as a 11 year old. Not that you don't get it, you just lack the ability as a child to play a mature, sophisticated, multi-layered game. If the person isn't a very self-reflecting person and able to honestly assess their ability (you know be critical of themselves) childish approaches carry forward. Not that is bad or wrong, but folks who have matured their ability to play will seek out others who have reached a similar degree of sophistication.

The veneer that a roleplaying game was a game for children didn't exist in a 30 year old in 1974 who would be playing with their friends. They probably wouldn't be writing many questions in to the creators on how to do things with the rules provided either. Hopefully older people wouldn't have the same self-esteem issues common in kids which would prevent a high level of sophistication in their play. Though it seems childish behavior does stick with some gamers into their later years. If I argue that B/X combat is boring because you may not be interesting and are being boring and it has nothing to do with game rules the first reply is usually someone but-hurt that I dare call them as playing it wrong. When really it is just a direct statement that no one knows everything and if you can get over yourself you could significantly increase your ability to have dynamic play regardless of game system used.

Things have changed a lot. But one thing has not changed: how many people bombard the Game Designers with questions. It was a big, huge thing from day one.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The pattern I see, and that has been verified by others, is that new players can come in with a lot of creativity and verve, just form the idea of roleplaying. Some of this will be a good fit with the game. Some of it will not. (And in recent years, it may be inspired by certain streaming games..thought the pattern is an old one).

On the other hand older , experienced players often don't get to caught up in the certain aspects of role-playing. They may now how the game works and what they want the character to do in that context. But a certain effort is often just not there.

nedjer

Adventurer
Telling your players they are infants to railroad them in the metagame is a table full of dice with no players round it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Though it seems childish behavior does stick with some gamers into their later years.
And this is a good example of what you describe, bot this sentence and some of the tone in your overall post.

It‘s perfectly possible to respond much as you did in the rest of your post, but you HAD to stick a big ol’ caltrop in near the end. You want grown up behavior in the hobby, make sure yours is part of the improvement program.

Be better going forward.

Jay Murphy1

Things have changed a lot. But one thing has not changed: how many people bombard the Game Designers with questions. It was a big, huge thing from day one.
I remember that. I always looked for questions of Read Magic. I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to use it per the description. Moldvay mind-****** me on that one.

Mod Edit: Language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Murphy1

And this is a good example of what you describe, bot this sentence and some of the tone in your overall post.

It‘s perfectly possible to respond much as you did in the rest of your post, but you HAD to stick a big ol’ caltrop in near the end. You want grown up behavior in the hobby, make sure yours is part of the improvement program.

Be better going forward.
Please don't take being direct as hostile tone. You read to much into that. I'm just being clear instead of wishy-washy.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Not that you don't get it, you just lack the ability as a child to play a mature, sophisticated, multi-layered game. If the person isn't a very self-reflecting person and able to honestly assess their ability (you know be critical of themselves) childish approaches carry forward. Not that is bad or wrong, but folks who have matured their ability to play will seek out others who have reached a similar degree of sophistication.

Eh. I think that as I've grown older, I've probably become less sophisticated. As soon as people are old enough to know better, they usually don't know anything at all.

Sophistication is often just the name we give to the narrowing of our imagination.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Please don't take being direct as hostile tone. You read to much into that. I'm just being clear instead of wishy-washy.
Mod note:
Danny here was speaking in "mod voice" color. That means:
1) He was giving you a kindly nudge that things weren't coming across well, and you should consider adjustment.
2) You don't argue in the thread about it.

Also note: The thread you are copying here got closed for a reason. You should count yourself as lucky that this discussion didn't just get summarily closed and a warning issued to you for ignoring a moderator directive to stop discussion on the topic.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I don't think roleplaying (sorry "Roleplaying") is inherently good or bad. I also think that just because it changes with time, it doesn't mean it's better or worse. I mean, I like to role play my PCs, but I have no particular delusion of it being incredibly sophisticated. I invoke certain mannerisms, catch-phrases or styles, and do my best to have a different perspective. But I'm still me underneath the patina, the facade. It's just me acting like someone else.

So I don't think most people have that much more "depth" as they age. Obviously as an adult you have a different perspective on some things, but I've played with younger kids that really let their imagination go and were better at getting into the moment than many adults.

End of the day I don't think it matters much, the only thing that matters is if the group is having fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases