D&D General Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner died

tomBitonti

Adventurer

Dausuul

Legend
Well, he was at the helm for a good long while. He took over in 2008--thirteen years ago. From our point of view, Goldner has been the Overlord of D&D from 4E onward.

The impression I've had is that he was generally a pretty hands-off overlord. Although 4E was arguably shaped by Hasbro's "core brand" demands, it wasn't like Goldner was micromanaging the game--he just said, "This is the bar you have to meet if you want the money." And 5E has been allowed to pretty much grow on its own. I hope his successor doesn't feel the need to change everything up just to show who's in charge.

Best wishes to his family and friends.

darjr

I crit!
230CCF9D-C9E1-4089-A829-B73C53FD2937.jpeg

Jaeger

That someone better
The impression I've had is that he was generally a pretty hands-off overlord. Although 4E was arguably shaped by Hasbro's "core brand" demands, it wasn't like Goldner was micromanaging the game--he just said, "This is the bar you have to meet if you want the money." And 5E has been allowed to pretty much grow on its own. I hope his successor doesn't feel the need to change everything up just to show who's in charge.

His successor will absolutely change at least some things... Just to show who's in charge.

Whether or not those changes will effect WotC, and/or D&D, we won't know for a year or so.

Remove ads