Hasbro CEO: "D&D is Really on a Tear"

Sorry, that laugh was a result of clumsy fingers on my phone.

Nebulous

Legend
I'm more amused at the fact that the context of the quote clearly shows that to Hasbro D&D is directly equated with other games like Risk, Scrabble and Candy Land in terms of where it stands as a product. Which makes me imagine for a moment that just as there's a crew of 7 managing the D&D brand I now wonder if somewhere in Hasbro's corporate HQ there's a 7-man team working on the best way they can leverage Candy Land into a juggernaut, all the while glaring out the window in Renton's direction, grimacing in anger at the new high bar that has been set for ALL Hasbro titles this quarter.

Ooh, Candyland the Roleplaying Game....it's got potential.

Nah, forget updating the Realms, we have a whole sweet setting already ready to roll out! :)

Grainger

Explorer
They said the pop-a-matic was a gimmick. They said it was a rip off of a classic, Parcheesi. They said all the cool kids wanted the card based movement of Sorry.

Well my friends they were wrong. Trouble is back. The one true move-your-guy-around-the-board-to-home-base is getting it's props from the Hasbro investor call, and that can only mean good things for the future.

Yeah, 5e wasn't exactly in very good company in that statement, was it?

Agamon

Adventurer
I wonder how long before we can get a "no support" sub-board. It might be better for everyone if the no support supporters could have a place to commiserate together, rather than post their lamentations in every other thread here...

Agamon

Adventurer
Risk, Scrabble, Trouble, Life, Candy Land, CLUE. Are you saying this is bad company?

Those games are pretty much rites of passage in the US.

Us board gamers are trying to change that to Catan, Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, just to show people that games can be fun instead of mindless drek. ;)

ZeshinX

Adventurer
I wonder how long before we can get a "no support" sub-board. It might be better for everyone if the no support supporters could have a place to commiserate together, rather than post their lamentations in every other thread here...

The lamentations are just as valid as the cheerleading. Segregating them serves no purpose except to close the mind to variety and different views.

Disagreements are just as excellent as agreements. Seeing a flood of super fun happy comments can be just as exhausting and tiresome as ultra poop gloomy ones. The mix keeps it lively.

Just my take of course. ;)

Yeah, 5e wasn't exactly in very good company in that statement, was it?

Risk, Scrabble, Trouble, Life, Candy Land, CLUE. Are you saying this is bad company?

Those games are pretty much rites of passage in the US.

Risk - first published in France in 1957 as La Conquête du Monde, bought and released as Risk by Parker Brothers in 1959.

Scrabble - first published in 1938 as Lexico, sold and renamed as Scrabble in 1948, purchased by Hasbro in 1986.

Trouble - first sold in 1965 by Milton Bradley.

The Game of Life - originally created in 1860 by Milton Bradley, the modern version of the game was published in 1960.

Candy Land - first published in 1949 by Milton Bradley.

Cluedo / Clue - First published as Cluedo by Waddington's in 1949, simultaneously published in the United States as Clue by Parker Brothers.

The average age of the above list of games is 51.2 years. All of the above are still in print, and while there have been tie-in editions, spin-offs and variants for all of them, the rules for each all still virtually the same today as they were when they first saw print.

So here's an interesting question - if you were in charge of putting out an evergreen edition of Dungeons and Dragons that was intended to modestly sell the same core books for at least 51.2 years, what would your release schedule look like?

JeffB

Legend
Us board gamers are trying to change that to Catan, Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, just to show people that games can be fun instead of mindless drek. ;)

Board game badwrongfun snobbery?

I've had alot of fun with those games, especially with my kids. :shrug:

Agamon

Adventurer
Board game badwrongfun snobbery?

I've had alot of fun with those games, especially with my kids. :shrug:

Now, now, no need to take my winky-faced post as dour seriousness.

I do not doubt you would have fun playing games with your kids and didn't mean to imply you couldn't. My bad.

Remove ads

Remove ads