WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That's overstating things significantly. How about a web series of updated classic monsters?
How dare they fix something that wasn't broken

Or a series of design diaries reworking favorites from the MM as alternative takes?

Any decision will be spun as political and/or culture war

Or a free set of VTT-appropriate tokens of "iconic" class artwork from across the ages for use on different platforms, maybe with a fun set of retrospective character sheets, updating Mialee to 5e, or presenting an NPC version of Emerikol the Chaotic.

VTT will be spun as money-grab precursor, despite being free, and the artwork will be criticized or used to compare to current artwork that will be spun as negative

The number of fan-pleasing, non-controversial, celebratory things they could do for the anniversary is massive

There is nothing which is non-controversial. NOTHING.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Put 5.5 in the CC, day 1.
CC has already been criticized as difficult to use for RPG context for third parties, and as far as I know has not been embraced by the third party creators. It will be criticized for not being in the other licenses, or simply spun as reminding people of the SRD fiasco and too little too late.

There is nothing that cannot be and will not be spun as negative.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
CC has already been criticized as difficult to use for RPG context for third parties, and as far as I know has not been embraced by the third party creators. It will be criticized for not being in the other licenses, or simply spun as reminding people of the SRD fiasco and too little too late.

Sly Flourish uses it. I have no idea about anyone else.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

VTT will be spun as money-grab precursor, despite being free, and the artwork will be criticized or used to compare to current artwork that will be spun as negative

So instead the CEO should go on record about how great he thinks AI is? That lesser controversy?

Scribe

Legend

I mean I guess if we are honest with ourselves, sure someone can always find that negative angle if they want. There are points however where that crosses over the line into "I reject your reality and substitute my own." kind of irrationality, and while thats all the rage in the 2020's, we thankfully can ignore those folks as deranged.

Not all criticism is valid, and thats coming from someone with a ton of irrationally biased takes. :ROFLMAO:

Pedantic

Legend

This is simply not true, and more insidiously, suggests that controversy of any kind is equivalent. It would be "controversial" if WotC released a Time Traveler class that fights with unique access to ray guns, and that entire discussion would be of significantly less significance than the use of AI artwork, or the presentation of race or gender in a new product.

None of my suggestions, even if they did produce some blowback from some portion of the committed online audience produce "controversy" in the sense meant here. I'm as likely as anytime to start the "look at this terrible monster design" thread, but I can see the difference.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Put 5.5 in the CC, day 1.
While I support that notion, I'm not sure how realistic that is—the corpos and lawyers are going to take their time going over a revised SRD to make sure they don't give away setting IP and such. I doubt that the time between finalizing the revision and the release of the books will be enough time for them to go over things. And that's assuming we actually get a revised SRD. 🙃

Remove ads