WotC Hasbro Earnings Call: WotC/BG3 carrying Hasbro

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
TBF, Magic card sets and D&D books are also different animals entirely. It doesn't seem Magic is getting room to breathe to have a decent metagamd build up.
Yeah. Back when you got a setting per year and then two supplements, you had time to play the main set, then set +1, then the full set. Then the next set came out. You also had the base set that M5, M6, etc. that came out yearly. If you added to that one boutique set like Marvel, D&D or Middle Earth, that would be more than enough.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And probably the last. I can feel it happening - Magic is heading for a cliff. They dug too deep in their attempt to "monetise" their product and hit the Arkenstone with the LotR set - its success looks shiny and impressive, but it portends DOOM from obsessive greed. Mark my words.
I tell you what, I am a pretty darn casual Magic player, butbI got a bunch of Adcentures I'm the forgotten realms stuff a couple years ago. I love, love, love Middle Earth, actually like the art and all they did for these cards...noped right out of even picking up tue Commander decks due to the price point.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. Back when you got a setting per year and then two supplements, you had time to play the main set, then set +1, then the full set. Then the next set came out. You also had the base set that M5, M6, etc. that came out yearly. If you added to that one boutique set like Marvel, D&D or Middle Earth, that would be more than enough.
Yeah, most people arenplugges into the metagame, but if the hardcore metagame chasers are exhausted then normals arengoojg to be keeping up.

I think Magic is too good a game to die from this (I think it is Chess or Backgammon levels of quality), but WotC seems to be setting themselves up for a hangover.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, most people arenplugges into the metagame, but if the hardcore metagame chasers are exhausted then normals arengoojg to be keeping up.

I think Magic is too good a game to die from this (I think it is Chess or Backgammon levels of quality), but WotC seems to be setting themselves up for a hangover.
A buddy of mine owns a game store and when I do draft, I just ask him for a quick run down on whatever mechanics are currently in use and some quick draft strategies. I don't even ask what the set is called anymore.

Sulicius

Adventurer
So I am seeing a lot of doom and gloom here; what makes it likely that there is a bubble about to be burst? What if by now there actually is an audience that can keep this release frequency going?

If I were to do a prediction, rather that listening to my gut, I would see decades of growth, and I would bet next year the revenue would keep increasing.

darjr

I crit!
So I am seeing a lot of doom and gloom here; what makes it likely that there is a bubble about to be burst? What if by now there actually is an audience that can keep this release frequency going?

If I were to do a prediction, rather that listening to my gut, I would see decades of growth, and I would bet next year the revenue would keep increasing.
The "about to burst bubble" is, I think, a constant. Sometimes it's correct. I'm not sure this time. Hasbros seems possible, WotC's and D&Ds probably isn't.

Remove ads