WotC Hasbro selling D&D IP?

All I remember is, by the time I was aware of D&D, it was pretty hard to come by in my area. The local game store educated me on the troubles TSR was having at the time. I think it 95 or 96. I got my 2e revised phb at Walden Books. I couldn't find a DMG or a Monster Manual. The only other items Walden's had was the Forgotten realms grey box (the revised one) and the Under Mountain box (the second one). I was able to source a DMG and a Barbarian book (the brown player option book) from the local game store. Oh! I also bought a Players Case. It was a black plastic case made especially for clerics. I think it game with a players screen (had all the tables for thaco and such for clerics), cleric specific character sheets, and I think a mini (I could be wrong). I've never seen these ever again so if anyone had one please let me know. I have no idea where mine went, just disappeared. Later when Books a Million finally came to my town (99?) I did find a Planescape Monster book and the Raven Loft Domains of Dread book (which has WotC logi on it. That was the extent of the 2e stuff I could find at that time. I was really wanting adventures because I had no idea how to run an adventure and I wanted something to go by. It wasn't until a few years later 3e came out. Fun romp down memory lane.

Stormonu

Legend
Oh! I also bought a Players Case. It was a black plastic case made especially for clerics. I think it game with a players screen (had all the tables for thaco and such for clerics), cleric specific character sheets, and I think a mini (I could be wrong). I've never seen these ever again so if anyone had one please let me know. I have no idea where mine went, just disappeared.
I still have those and still use them from time to time - there was one for Rogue, Wizard, Fighter and Cleric. Came in plastic case with a D&D pencil, set of plastic dice, two miniatures (one male, one female), a "getting started" pamphlet, player's screen, character sheets and a pad with hex, graph and "blank" paper. And of course, stickers. The case could hold a PHB and a Complete book and had an interior tray (with clear plastic cover) to hold the dice, minis, pencils and spell cards (though you had to buy those separately).

I still have those and still use them from time to time - there was one for Rogue, Wizard, Fighter and Cleric. Came in plastic case with a D&D pencil, set of plastic dice, two miniatures (one male, one female), a "getting started" pamphlet, player's screen, character sheets and a pad with hex, graph and "blank" paper. And of course, stickers. The case could hold a PHB and a Complete book and had an interior tray (with clear plastic cover) to hold the dice, minis, pencils and spell cards (though you had to buy those separately).
Thank you! Reading the contents has stirred some memories back and I recall more about it now. I really hate I lost it. Might have to dig through ebay to see if some are for sale.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
Players Case

s-l1200.jpg

Priest's Player Pack
Priest Player Pack (2e)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Editition Priest's Player Pack New Sealed Rare

Remove ads