WotC Hasbro selling D&D IP?

Oofta

Legend
Cant really prove it one way or another. We don't know how many phb 5E has sold for example.
Bsh humbug! You're just afraid of losing all those sweet, sweet fake internet points.

We'd compare based on Amazon sales, there's a thread that's been tracking numbers. It's only one indicator of course, but one easily tracked.

Zardnaar

Legend
Bsh humbug! You're just afraid of losing all those sweet, sweet fake internet points.

We'd compare based on Amazon sales, there's a thread that's been tracking numbers. It's only one indicator of course, but one easily tracked.

And that's just one place. You can track a trend but not exact numbers.

How many phb have Amazon sold?

Oofta

Legend
And that's just one place. You can track a trend but not exact numbers.

How many phb have Amazon sold?
Similar to polling where you don't have to ask every individual their opinion, you just need a reasonable sample size. According to the thread, the PHB is #174. You can take that rank and go to a different website that estimates sales. The PHB has been selling between 6 and 7 thousand copies a month based on the ranking since it tends to hover around #200, give or take 15% or so.

So we have an idea going back to when that thread started in July 2022.

Zardnaar

Legend
Similar to polling where you don't have to ask every individual their opinion, you just need a reasonable sample size. According to the thread, the PHB is #174. You can take that rank and go to a different website that estimates sales. The PHB has been selling between 6 and 7 thousand copies a month based on the ranking since it tends to hover around #200, give or take 15% or so.

So we have an idea going back to when that thread started in July 2022.

So how many is that total though? We have numbers for previous editions.

What % of Amazon sales are the overall%?

See my point.

I expect the numbers to be higher launch year.

We"re not really gonna know that well for a few years and we see the new normal.

And what's successful more than 2014? 2023, peak 5E etc.

Stormonu

Legend

See my point.

We"re not really gonna know that well for a few years and we see the new normal.

Really, we don't even need to know actual sale numbers, following the rankings themselves ought to give us a glimpse how well it's doing. The 2014 PHB has been hovering about in the top #100 for X years - besides the thread on ENWorld, you can look back through Amazon's rankings for several years back. If the 2024 books didn't stay in the top #100 or so and dropped further down the chain consistently before those X numbers of years we know something is up.

I think we can have a fair idea using the Amazon rankings of where the new books stand about 6-8 months after all three have dropped. If not sooner.

Zardnaar

Legend
Really, we don't even need to know actual sale numbers, following the rankings themselves ought to give us a glimpse how well it's doing. The 2014 PHB has been hovering about in the top #100 for X years - besides the thread on ENWorld, you can look back through Amazon's rankings for several years back. If the 2024 books didn't stay in the top #100 or so and dropped further down the chain consistently before those X numbers of years we know something is up.

I think we can have a fair idea using the Amazon rankings of where the new books stand about 6-8 months after all three have dropped. If not sooner.

First year should be great though.

Without exact numbers it's always vague. We don't know how many books are the difference between 140 and 130.

Oofta

Legend

See my point.

The question was what impact will the release of the new edition have on the current edition. Tracking Amazon sales would give us a general idea of change in sales from 5E to the anniversary edition revision. As far as older editions, we know that 5E has outsold theem based on statements from WOTC so ... who cares? It's not relevant.

But I get it. You just don't want to put your fake internet points on the line with a prediction. :) And you're starting to take a joke way, way too seriously.

mamba

Legend
The question was what impact will the release of the new edition have on the current edition. Tracking Amazon sales would give us a general idea of change in sales from 5E to the anniversary edition revision.
they will go down immediately, why would I buy the old books over the new books when I am starting with the hobby

And then they will cease to sell as Amazon runs out of stock

see

Pedantic Grognard
All I know is that when 4E came out I was heavily involved with public games. We saw quick growth immediately after release, with a relative handful of old school players not making the switch. But over the course of a couple of years, it just died. The sales of the books reflected that as well (as did the previous couple of editions for that matter), there were decent sales immediately after launch and then it tanked. You don't get that if the internet bogeyman had scared people off.
In retrospect, I'm convinced what truly killed 4e was the "annual PHB" model choking off new player acquisition even harder than the old "release a splatbook for everything" model did.

I wouldn't have diagnosed things that way even as late as 2016. But 5e's totally atypical sales growth curve has convinced me that the One True Way is to structure the line so that after your fans say to a prospective player, "You only need the PHB," they don't automatically add a "but".

Remove ads