WotC Hasbro's CEO Reports OGL-Related D&D Beyond Cancellations Had Minimal Impact

Hasbro held a quarterly earnings call recently in which CEO Chris Cocks (who formerly ran WotC before being promoted) indicated that the OGL controversy had a "comparatively minor" impact on D&D's revenue due to D&D Beyond subscription cancellations. He also noted that D&D grew by 20% in 2022 (Magic: the Gathering revenues grew by an astonishing 40% in Quarter 4!) WotC as a whole was up 22%...

hasbro-logo-5-2013769358.png

Hasbro held a quarterly earnings call recently in which CEO Chris Cocks (who formerly ran WotC before being promoted) indicated that the OGL controversy had a "comparatively minor" impact on D&D's revenue due to D&D Beyond subscription cancellations. He also noted that D&D grew by 20% in 2022 (Magic: the Gathering revenues grew by an astonishing 40% in Quarter 4!)

WotC as a whole was up 22% in Q4 2022.

Lastly, on D&D, we misfired on updating our Open Gaming License, a key vehicle for creators to share or commercialize their D&D inspired content. Our best practice is to work collaboratively with our community, gather feedback, and build experiences that inspire players and creators alike - it's how we make our games among the best in the industry. We have since course corrected and are delivering a strong outcome for the community and game.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I have a sneaking suspicion that there are quite a few folks who are emotionally invested in the idea that their actions had a real and lasting impact.

I also think such people will absolutely reject any evidence to the contrary.

Hey, we aren't supposed to talk about politics.

Oh, wait, you're still talking about Hasbro. Never mind.

darjr

I crit!
I hate it when informed explanation spoils a perfectly good conspiracy theory.
It didn't explain the thing I was pointing out. See later, I quoted that date because it cut off the boycott from the quarter or the year.

Do NOT call me a conspiracy theorist again.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Didn't read entire thread.

I certainly believe that Beyond Cancellations had a "minor" effect on the bottom line.....but...

I absolutely believe that the cancellations sent a message as clear as a warning shot across the bow, that they then took "seriously".

cranberry

Adventurer
We don't need Hasbro or WoTC.

Everyone here has their imagination, or can buy 3rd party content.

And no one needs a fancy 3D VTT to play the game, and no one needs to buy cosmetics via micro transactions.

Iosue

Legend
And they insists on going "this is what we meant to do al along! All the rest was just a test/request for feedback/never meant to be sent out!" after getting caught and trying again with another OGL that was also terrible but more sneaky about it. The CC came when too many mainstream news started to report on it. (I would have guessed the DNDBeyond cancellations helped but now I'm not so sure. They might have been prepared to eat that cost.)
I'm not sure what the point is of continuing to litigate actions before the about-face, apology, and releasing 5e into the Creative Commons. At least in the context of, "Paizo/WotC did Bad Thing X, but now the situation is different," and how that affects people's actions going forward.

As for DNDBeyond cancellations, I wish someone could provide a GIF of the Joker saying, "It's not about the money. It's about sending a message." There's no need to prove beyond all doubt that the actual cancellations (many of which weren't even paid subscriptions, and of those that were, most of which were already money in the bank) actually hit WotC in the pocketbook (let alone Hasbro as a whole). The cancellations sent a clear message, and WotC acted in response to them. Even taking at face value their contention that 1.1 was already abandoned before the leak occurred, I don't think anyone has even contended that Kyle Brink's initial re-apology and putting OGL 1.2 up to feedback surveys were not direct responses to community pushback, which was clearly demonstrated by the DNDBeyond cancellations.
And they also keep up the notion in their FAQ that fan works — which includes podcasts and twitch and reddit — are theirs to mine without regard of copyright.
Fan works using their trademarked content, which otherwise the fans would not lawfully be able to use. I mean, Jesus, WotC is more open and permissive about their IP than any other publicly traded company and people are still not happy with the minimalist restrictions they do ask for.

That is a true statement that has nothing to do with the case at hand. As a matter of fact, it's a great example of exactly the kind of "using a true statement to imply something false" that WotC did.

What they said about grown is true (I assume). However their financial year ended Dec 26th, 2022, so their their 2022 numbers would not reflect the OGL controversy, or would reflect it for a very small percentage of the total days. Presenting that with news of their OGL "misfire" implying that there was no real financial consequence of the OGL issue is misleading.
This has already been explained. It's only misleading if you chose to view it as such or you don't understand their legal obligation to present events that they expect may impact their future.
If you have supported specifics about why it is not true I'd be glad to hear them, but not just hand waved away by "oh, people don't understand that so their conclusion can not be true".
I don't. But neither have you provided facts to support your case. Both are opinions based upon personal experience and views.

Remove ads

Remove ads