D&D General Have Githzerai always been jerks?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Jeff Grubb made several statements both in Dragon Magazine, as well as in two 2nd edition FR products that 2e was THE home of FR (not just "A" home, but "THE" home).

Admittedly, that can be taken a couple of different ways.

Regardless...

The most compelling statement comes from Dragon magazine issue #153 (January 1990) in the article "The Game Wizards":
I couldn't find anything on the Wizard's site, so I took my information from wikipedia: Dungeons & Dragons campaign settings - Wikipedia

Under the FR listing, it is listed as official only for 5e - but on closer inspection article does not list AD&D nor AD&D 2ed. With those Jeff Grubb sources you may want to update the Wikipedia article and preserve that knowledge.

However, the point under discussion was basically if the FR setting changes with edition meant that as a whole D&D always had changes to their official setting with edition. Basically, is setting change mandated by D&D edition change - must the setting have a timeline and the meta advance between bookmarks of edition changes. They were using FR as proof, and simply there were edition changes where the official setting had no timeline advancement. That FR was official for two of them instead of one is of interest, but doesn't really change the point.

Do you know what the official setting was for AD&D? That would be useful to update that wikipedia article.

digitalelf

Explorer
Do you know what the official setting was for AD&D? That would be useful to update that wikipedia article.

I think that up until about 1985, the default setting was World of Greyhawk; simply because almost every product, particularly the modules, up to that point were clearly set within WoG. So I think that "unofficially", the "official" setting for 1st edition was World of Greyhawk.

S'mon

Legend
I think that up until about 1985, the default setting was World of Greyhawk; simply because almost every product, particularly the modules, up to that point were clearly set within WoG. So I think that "unofficially", the "official" setting for 1st edition was World of Greyhawk.

The 1e DMG also references Greyhawk in the Artifacts section - albeit likely the Artifacts likely mostly came first, creating the Greyhawk lore.

digitalelf

Explorer
The 1e DMG also references Greyhawk in the Artifacts section - albeit likely the Artifacts likely mostly came first, creating the Greyhawk lore.

Yeah, many, if not most of the artifacts in the 1e DMG came from Original D&D (including stuff from the Strategic Review).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Jeff Grubb made several statements both in Dragon Magazine, as well as in two 2nd edition FR products that 2e was THE home of FR (not just "A" home, but "THE" home).

Admittedly, that can be taken a couple of different ways.

Regardless...

The most compelling statement comes from Dragon magazine issue #153 (January 1990)
Given that this quote comes from early 1990, two things need be noted:

1. TSR was still trying to distance itself from Greyhawk (i.e Gygax) at the time; claiming FR to be the game's official setting helped with this.

2. TSR hadn't yet produced/released the string of new settings that would ultimately become 2e's hallmark. I rather suspect that asking this same person the same question in, say, 1996 might have got you a completely different and much less definite answer.

Ovarwa

Explorer
NO! Ignoring non-core (I heart Rogue's Gallery!), you have the perfect run from 1977 through October 1985.

MM
PHB
DMG
DnD
FF
MM2
L&L (title is worse, and not new, but still doesn't suck, because it's DnD)
OA

Then, everything that sucked.
UA
DSG
WSG
MotP
DLA
GHA

See? It works perfectly. Oriental Adventures is THE dividing line. OA isn't perfect, but it was really good (esp. for its time).

You are far more generous than I! For me, DnD is the dividing line, after which the descent begins. FF wasn't bad, just lackluster. Eg, colored frogs of doom? Not as cool as colored dragons, not as iconic as demons or devils...

Just me.

(I prefer drakobolds to canikobolds, fwiw. Older is often not better.)

Anyway,

Ken

digitalelf

Explorer
I rather suspect that asking this same person the same question in, say, 1996 might have got you a completely different and much less definite answer.

I've noted elsewhere (on other forums), that these quotes from Jeff Grubb disappeared when he left TSR in 1994; just one year after the release of the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms revised boxed set.

Here is the quote from that boxed set:
Jeff Grubb said:
These articles that the Realms were suggested as a basis for an AD&D campaign, and eventually as the home for the AD&D® 2nd Edition game.

I love how he says "A campaign setting for AD&D" to "The home for AD&D 2nd edition".

But regardless, that is the last time that I could find that he or anyone else ever mentioned that the Forgotten Realms or any other setting were "official homes" of 2nd edition.

So, if it was, it didn't last long.

Voadam

Legend
Githzerai have even been jerks to other Githzerai from the beginning
Fiend Folio p. 45 said:
They have the same sort of political organisation as have the githyanki and are ruled by an undying wizard-king said to be of 16th/23rd level of fighting/magic-use who prevents githzerai progression beyond the 9th level of experience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases