D&D 5E Have we misunderstood the shield and sword fighter (or warrior)?

ECMO3

Hero
For a DEX-based sword & board fighter, you also have the option of switching to a ranged weapon when needed]
The only weapons you can make a dex-based ranged attack with while wielding a shield are dart, dagger or net. That is all your options right there without taking an entire action to doff your shield.

Strength-based sword and board is way better when it comes to ranged attacks as you can use d6 thrown melee weapons.

I think the highest damage sword and board build possible is thrown weapon fighting style, sharpshooter feat and darts. Since Darts have Finnesse you can use strength for them, even though they are a ranged weapon. I believe they are the only ranged weapon you can use even do this on a strength build.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
The only dex-based ranged weapons you can use sword and board are a dart, dagger or net. That is all your options right there without taking an entire action to doff your shield.

Strength-based sword and board is way better when it comes to ranged attacks.

That's arguable. Those weapons have shorter ranges. Though the net is an interesting case because it is cheap and also requires the target to use their action to escape -meaning that they're not gaining an action on you in the event you need to use one of yours to re-equip the shield.

Dropping an item is a free action. Attach a lanyard to the shield so you can drop it for free when necessary and still have it attached to you.
(Honestly, that's a little weird to me, but 5e shields are very ambiguous concerning what type of shield they are. Bucklers? Shields with arm straps? Light? Heavy? With some shields, a shield sling makes sense. )

If you're at the range where longbows and such are useful, one action to re-equip isn't bad. Before that's even necessary, it may be that you have several turns of damage output without the enemy being able to retaliate at all.

Range 150/600 (longbow) vs 30/120 (javelin)

If I'm at a range of 30ft, I'm already effectively within melee range for a lot of encounters (as a lot of things have a movement speed of 30). I suppose there may be scenarios in which the target cannot get to you with movement, but, in that case, they're not able to engage me in melee anyway so I would stick with the ranged weapon.

Though, I would agree that the javelin is likely the best option for throwing.

I think it's somewhat strange that equipping a shield takes an entire action but equipping a weapon doesn't, but those are the rules.

Argyle King

Legend
Sure, if you were carrying a shield without actually ever using it for it's shieldy function...

How is that relevant to anything?

Whether or not an item was being used previously doesn't change the ability to drop the item.

Edit: I do agree that is weird, and (previously) I've mentioned that I think the shield rules are a bit odd, but that's how they are.

So, what's the difference between unequipping and dropping?
Dropping is just letting go of something (and it typically clattering to the ground) versus unequipping a shield being taking it off and stowing it on your person for future use.

Above, I mentioned putting a "sling" on a shield. More accurately, that would be using a "guige." A purpose for using one is to enable letting go of a shield to quickly free up that hand for other uses.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Okay, I drop my armor that I'm wearing. It's not unequipping it, it's just letting it go.

You can houserule as you want, but there's clear rules for this stuff.

Armor isn't an item which is equipped specifically to hands.

I agree that there are clear rules.
Unequipping takes an action.
Dropping an item held in a hand doesn't.

There's an argument for saying a shield is a special case. Though, I'd then ask what happens when a spell or attack forces me to drop what I'm holding...?

Argyle King

Legend
So as to not derail the thread, I'll concede to the idea that shields are a special type of item which cannot be dropped like other items can.

Even so, I've found that having a high dex tends to be more useful in a wider variety of situations.

Beyond that, the point of the thread is about "sword & board." It's odd to me that there appears to be a belief that it's less good. I think it's one of the better loadouts for a character.

Remove ads