Have We Seen Half-Orcs Yet?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
dmccoy1693 said:
(Rule 1: You must talk like an orc.)

Orc1: "Excuse me, could you pass the cucumber sandwiches? I'm feeling rather peckish"

Orc2: "Certainly my good fellow. They are a perfectly spiffing example of the craft, don't you think?"

:)

What? How do your orcs talk then?

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
What? How do your orcs talk then?
Ok, I mean the way you speak must reflect your INT score. So if someone doesn't bother to put points in INT, they'd be at a 6. So they'd have to use Thog as an their speech inspiration.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I want full-blooded orcs as a PC race in the PHB! None of this sissy, half-breed stuff.

I also am planning on making orcs originally having been created by demons as the "perfect" slave race for destruction and ruin. While many orcs are perfectly content serving their demon lord, at some time in the past some orcs shook off the yoke of their demonic masters and began living by their own rules. These "free" orcs are still aggressive, violent, and brutal, but they aren't necessarily evil. However, the taint of their former servitude lingers, and many of the "fairer" races still harbor deep resentment of them.

EDIT - For racial talents, I'd give the orcs things like rage, cast-iron stomachs, intimidating presences, etc.

To get this idea, I pretty much ripped off pieces from the Night People of Blue Rose and the Orcs from World of Warcraft. ;) But I guess it isn't too different from the original Tolkein inspiration.

FWIW, depending on their origin story I'm making Tieflings the diabolical counterparts or orcs - that is, some time long ago a devil created/sired a devil-race. Some tieflings struck out on their own, but many others still serve their infernal overlords.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
dmccoy1693 said:
Ok, I mean the way you speak must reflect your INT score. So if someone doesn't bother to put points in INT, they'd be at a 6. So they'd have to use Thog as an their speech inspiration.

You don't have to be smart to speak eloquently. In fact, there's a real life disability that results in florid, expansive speech but IQ in the mentally retarded range.

Most real life not very smart people speak in a very conventional way, but with constricted vocabularies and prone to malapropisms. They don't speak like Thog. Two year olds and high school French students talk like Thog.

Sir Brennen

Legend
pawsplay said:
Most real life not very smart people speak in a very conventional way, but with constricted vocabularies and prone to malapropisms.
Ah, malapropisms. An albacore around the neck of the not very smart ;)

Reynard

Legend
Jonathan Moyer said:
I want full-blooded orcs as a PC race in the PHB! None of this sissy, half-breed stuff.

I hate the "orcs as klingons" mentality. What's wrong with having a race of engineered super soldiers bent on destruction and chaos?

Remove ads