• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you been disillusioned by Eberron?

Have you been disillusioned by Eberron?

• Yes

Votes: 61 16.8%
  • No

Votes: 231 63.6%
  • Other

Votes: 46 12.7%
  • Eberron? What's Eberron?

Votes: 25 6.9%

Timeboxer

Explorer
See the title. One of my friends mentioned to me that a lot of the people she knows have been disillusioned by Eberron when they used to like it, so I thought I'd take a straw poll of those of you who've actually messed around with it. Some guiding questions:

· How do you feel about the setting now that it's been out for about a year, and why do you feel that way?

· Are you as happy with it as you are Greyhawk and the Realms, the other two supported settings?

· Are you as happy with it as you used to be? Alternately, are you as unhappy with it as you used to be?

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I voted "other," because I didn't like Eberron to begin with and I don't like it now. I don't want trains in my fantasy. I prefer Greyhawk or an Elminsterless FR.

CronoDekar

First Post
I haven't been disillusioned by Eberron, but I haven't kept up with much of the recent source material either (Five Nations, Races of Eberron, many of the Dragonshards). So if there's something in there that's disillusion-worthy there, I haven't encountered it. If there's something I'm not a big fan of (say, the Umbragen), I just tend to ignore it anyway. And I still prefer it over Greyhawk and FR.

Megatron

Explorer
Marked for Death and Sharn really took a lot from the setting for me. The later adventures to a lesser extent just didn't live up to the ECS.

edit: don't even get my started on the games and their little additions to the setting, I really can't think of anything grandma-friendly comments.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I see no reason to like it less now than I did before, which is quite a bit. Nothing's changed, no secrets have been revealed to be less cool than I had imagined . . . this poll makes no sense. ;)

Felon

First Post
Seems the main arguement I hear for how much someone likes the setting is "it's a departure from tolkeinesque fantasy". The logic of "I'm tired of A. Since B is very different from A, B must be cool" doesn't wash IMO.

I've made attempts to get into it--I certainly like the art direction in the books--but enough with the warforged already. It seems like every Eberron adventure in Dungeon these days revolves in some way around a warforged. I'm tired of seeing them and their stupid little circle eyes. :]

Note that the poll is flawed. If I didn't like Eberron in the first place, I'm not disillusioned by any recent developments, so I vote "no". OTOH, if I loved Eberron and wasn't disillusioned by it, my vote is also "no".

Last edited:

Silverleaf

First Post
Never played in E. Generally I prefer more traditional med-fan settings, but sometimes a more progressive one catches my interest. ICE's Shadow World is one of those that I feel did the magic+tech thing convincingly. There are others, but they're few and far between.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Felon said:
Note that the poll is flawed. If I didn't like Eberron in the first place, I'm not disillusioned by any recent developments, so I vote "no". OTOH, if I loved Eberron and wasn't disillusioned by it, my vote is also "no".

I must admit that I normally think of polls as bait for a thoughtful response. But I think it's reasonably apparent that being "disillusioned" implies that you were "illusioned" in the first place. Alternately, there's "Other" or not responding to the poll, which I suppose is technically some sort of vote.

Magnet

First Post
I really like the ECS and Sharn. I was really disappointed by the three published adventurers, though. I haven't read the Five Nations, Races of Eberron, the Dungeon adventures or the novels, yet. I'm looking forward to all of them, though.

Remove ads