Have you ever written a standalone set of RPG rules?

Have you ever written a standalone set of RPG rules?

• No, never tried

Votes: 28 19.4%
  • No, I tried but did not complete

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • In the process of doing so

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • Yes, but only for my own use

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Yes, and tried but failed (so far) to get it published

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Yes, and self-published it (e.g. via Kickstarter)

Votes: 16 11.1%
  • Yes, and it has been published by a conventional publisher

Votes: 4 2.8%

aramis erak

Legend
I have written several. None of any consequence.

I have web-released several. I've gotten one person respond that they played it... and I know a dozen or more have read it.

I have not published any for money.

If I got positive responses from persons playing my designs, I'd put them up on DTRPG in new editions with art. (well, art better than my scribbles.)

Crusadius

Adventurer
No I have not. I think I want to. I think there is a system I would like to use. I think I know what genre it would be. But there it ends. Lack of time, an inability to turn the thoughts into words, all conspire against me.

zztong

Explorer
Back in the 80s my high school friends and I were inspired by the Escape from New York movie. I whipped up a game system and we played it for months. I wish I still had it, but haven't seen those sheets of paper in decades.

In the 90s I took up a club challenge to make an RPG for Blood Bowl where the PCs were Star Players on a Blood Bowl team and they undertook adventures during the time between matches. Again, we played it for months and had a good old time.

Psyga315

Explorer
For me it's because the rules that are already there aren't the best for RPGs or even Wargames.

For instance, Chainmail's rules are very dated and not easy to follow, so I made lighter rules, effectively a Retroclone of Chainmail.

I also made a PtbA game about hunting J-horror style ghosts because an RPG I played with that same topic (it's not Ghostbusters, don't worry) didn't feel like an RPG.

Remove ads