• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you seen this monster?

The_Fan

First Post
While I like what I've seen of 4e so far, I think I will compile a list of monsters that were left out:

Missing (probably will appear later):

Frost Giant
Cloud Giant
Metallic Dragons
Tyranosaurus
Raptor
Triceratops
Iron golem
Clay golem
Nightcrawler
Nightwing

Missing, presumed dead (probably won't):

Rust monster
Yrthak
Blink dog

Missing in action (referenced in the book, but not shown):

Primordial Colossus

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
I disagree on the Rust Monster/Blink Dog. Those suckers got traction. :p

Edit: Especially if you roll them into a single nasty critter.

Korgoth

First Post
No T-Rex, eh? Any carnosaurs at all?

Still miffed about the Frost Giant. I'll probably get over it.

No Rust Monster? That's too bad... maybe MMIII will be "goofy monsters" with Rusty, a playable Flumph, etc.

Kaodi

Hero
You will see the rust monster again. They are, after all, probably one of the most difficult sacred cows to kill. I mean, come up, you hit 'em and they eat your weapons!

( Edit: Not sure how I managed to say up instead of on, but I will leave it in for whatever measly comedic value it possesses... )

MindWanderer

First Post
I'm pretty sure Rust Monsters and Disenchanters are gone for good, at least in any form that we'd recognize. They might give you penalties, but they won't destroy your gear.

Blink dogs will need a significant reflavoring to make us want to kill them. They were Good, after all.

Looks like some demons and devils didn't make it. I don't have the books, but I recall seeing a list of demons that lacked a Nalfeshnee.

Nebulous

Legend
I'm not really bothered by some of the iconic monsters missing. If you REALLY really need one, you can make your own in a pinch, or just take a similar monster and swap some attributes. 4e monster design is easy like that. Most likely, you can just fight some other stuff in the monster manual and wait a year until the next supplement. Or maybe there will be a 4e Tome of Horrors that fills in the gaps.

Edit: I'm disappointed that gear-nerfing rust monsters might not be in the game at all. I thought they were cool. Can't remember actually ever using one in play though, maybe that says something.

Remove ads