D&D General Having your players roll their stats

Do you ever have your players roll their stats old school style?

• Always

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Never

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 48 41.7%

Laurefindel

Legend
I always have my players roll, but never old-school style. It’s a roll-array hybrid.

We usually all (DM included) roll 4d6 drop lowest X6. These become the available arrays for this campaign, including for the baddies with class levels. All the thrill of rolling with none of the inequalities. Works for us.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
This is where I say for the seemingly 1000th time in the last couple of decades on ENworld, "Stat Draft."

But sometimes I have returned to stat rolling or had the players roll the stats that end up in the stat draft pool.
even if i wasn't around when they were actually being posted in the stat draft thread was really interesting to read 'play out'

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This is where I say for the seemingly 1000th time in the last couple of decades on ENworld, "Stat Draft."

But sometimes I have returned to stat rolling or had the players roll the stats that end up in the stat draft pool.
Stat draft is the best, no question. Everyone on-board the stat draft train!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I DO NOT WANT my players competing for stats.

The players in my groups have always cooperated in getting the stats and since part of the stat draft process I have developed includes creating two sets you choose one from and the other goes into a pool (as a set) for folks to make replacement characters from, everyone gets a chance to make the character they want and it is in everyone's interest to make two decent sets since there is a chance those secondary sets will see play by you or one of your fellow players.

That said, it is not for every group, esp. for a group that tends towards being competitive with each other.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The players in my groups have always cooperated in getting the stats and since part of the stat draft process I have developed includes creating two sets you choose one from and the other goes into a pool (as a set) for folks to make replacement characters from, everyone gets a chance to make the character they want and it is in everyone's interest to make two decent sets since there is a chance those secondary sets will see play by you or one of your fellow players.

That said, it is not for every group, esp. for a group that tends towards being competitive with each other.
Yea, I mean, I guess I could see it being a problem if the players were all kinda optimization focused. But the great majority of my players are super chill. Any "competitiveness" was entirely good-natured ribbing.

Edit: To be fair, this was also in my classless 5e game, so nobody walked in knowing what to expect or having any pre-conceived notions of what they wanted. It might have been different if I had 3 players all gunning for Charisma because they wanted to be a sorcerer, bard, and warlock, for example.

Remove ads