He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (no not that one)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah, I thought one of the more interesting ways to deal with the gap in time between the period these things came out that people are nostalgic for, and the present moment, was done by Cobra Kai, with the original actors now middle-aged and dealing with all those issues and a new bunch of kids doing the karate thing. But that of course involves actual people who get older; He-Man never has to get any older than you write him. (I never quite understood how comic books deal with Batman being around since the 30s...)
Thats why we got Terry McGuiness Batman Beyond.

According to one theory, taking into account the various Ages and reboots modern era Batman was born in 1963.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay i finally got around to watching this and its actually not bad - it is aimed at young viewers and is much more on the sci-fi power rangers tip but it works for what it is.

Its also better than the other reboot and they even got a better approach to the whole Adam falls and “We have the Power” thing

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I watched the Netflix preview with horror. But, it really looked cool for the actual target audience. And I have to watch the first episode at some point. My kid wanted to watch it and I said not until I’d check out if it is appropriate...

MarkB

Legend
I watched the first episode and it is good, for what it is, but whereas She-Ra is a kids' show with some broader appeal, and the other Masters of the Universe reboot felt like it was aimed mostly at adults who grew up with the original cartoon, this one feels like it's squarely aimed at kids.

Which is good, it's a kids' show, but I doubt I'll watch any more of it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Disclaimer: I've never been into He-Man. I knew the original series was a thing and New Adventures got stuck in my head despite the fact I can't remember even a fraction of an episode -just the transformation sequence-. So take this with a grain of salt.

I watched it in less than a week. Without even meaning to. I just felt curious and after a couple episodes I couldn't drop it. This is very well done, with a great plot and likeable characters. I know there was a lot of skepticism on the visual style and character design, but it works like a charm. Character feel vivid and move fluidly. Obviously it is kid-oriented, but it doesn't talk down to the audience. In fact there are times when things get quite dark.

So I'll be waiting anxiously for the next season to drop.

fba827

Adventurer
While I haven’t watched this I was considering it

based on comments I get the vague feeling that I might enjoy it as background noise to watch as I do chores around the house and not think of it as a he-man show just another light hearted cartoon of adventure! :). Which is not a bad thing at all as i enjoy adventure cartoons as I do chores :)

Dire Bare

Legend
My turn . . . .

The story and world-building is pretty good, takes the non-world-building of the original series and gives it a tad more depth. The visual world design is INSPIRING. I'd recommend a watch just to take in some of the landscapes and vehicle designs.

The character writing . . . isn't terrible, but mostly not great. That said, there's some fun lines and character moments. Mark Hamill's Skeletor takes some lines that shouldn't work, and makes them worth a chuckle.

The oversized weapons and exaggerated bodies really doesn't do it for me, but I found myself noticing less and less as the series progressed. Expanding the power-fantasy from He-Man to to the whole team, and then having Skeletor mirror that with the "dark masters" was probably the most important addition to the franchise.

I really liked how each "master of the universe" and each "dark master" had their own, real name, but then chose the more silly action-figure name for their powered up form. And, made a bit of fun out of it too! I also liked how each character's "normal" mode was interesting, but not over-the-top. Master-mode designs were fun too, but even more exaggerated . . .

fba827

Adventurer
Wait mark hamilll is skeleton in THIS too.. in addition to being skeleton in the other new he-man? Or am
I mixing up the two he-man series that have come this year ?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Wait mark hamilll is skeleton in THIS too.. in addition to being skeleton in the other new he-man? Or am
I mixing up the two he-man series that have come this year ?
Yeah I got confused by that too, soo went and checked - but no this version of Skeleton is voiced by Benjamin Diskin

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases