D&D 5E Healing Options Poll

Which healing option do you prefer?

• Core (short rest to spend HD, long rest to regain hp and HD)

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Core modified by the "slower" variants (specify below)

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Experimental 1 (short and long rests heal hp)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Experimental 2 (bloodied value, 5 minute rests, refocus during combat)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 8 19.0%

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would like Experimental 2 if it was changed up to be you can't heal above your bloodied value in combat.

And of course ritual healing to supplement slow healing. :angel:

Li Shenron

Legend
But, like I say, I don't actually expect to see this happen. HP-loss as meat-injury even though it really isn't, never was, and never will be, is too much of a sacred cow to be turned into such tasty, tasty, hamburgers. Oh well.

I don't think the reason is so much that it is a sacred cow, but rather that HP are just always easier than a wounds system.

3ed had its own wounds system in Unearthed Arcana, maybe the modules-based 5e can have such thing already in the core. I may not use it but I think it would be a good decision to have it there.

calprinicus

First Post
My ideal healing:
"The 4 pillars of good healing."

1) everyone has some mechanic or way to heal themselves a fair amount when needed. Healing surges were good. I would probably have lower amount (1/10 max) instead of (1/4 max). have them be a limited resource with weak heals, Give them more healing surges, no limit on when you can use them, and only limit how many you can use at one time or per round.

2) no rolling for heals EVER!. Make them a set number. No one wants to heal for 1 HP on a d8 or the like.

3) Healing spells are rare but powerful. Make that cleric of yours feel badass when needed. "Thank god we brought the cleric or I would have been wyrm food!".

4) Healing potions somewhere in between and fairly cheap. Meaning you only have a few and pretty much only going to use them in a pinch or need a better heal than a surge.

Breakdown:

AMOUNT OF HEAL:
LOW MED HIGH
SELF POTIONS SPELLS

GOAL:
Most parties can get along with just the self heals and potions just fine, however if you have a cleric along is a real asset in dire needs. When the cleric is added it might slightly reduce the reliance of potions, but not completely.

fjw70

Adventurer
Here is my idea.

First, ditch HD.
Second, all damage under the bloodied value is healed during a short rest.
Third, all hp damage is healed during an extended rest.
Fourth, in-combat and healing above bloodied without an extended rest must be done through magical means.

Simple and you would always have at least 1/2 hp for any enounter.

This would be a high healing option. For something a little less high change what extended rest means (I.e. an extended rest could be a week of light activity).

Remove ads