• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hello, I am lawyer with a PSA: almost everyone is wrong about the OGL and SRD. Clearing up confusion.

S'mon

Legend
This MAY be a reason it is taking WotC to respond. This is what they are after, but they had their own in-house people write it up.

Now, with all the attention, the lawyers (perhaps Hasbro has come in utilizing another side organization?) are actually trying to write a document that can hold up and yet do exactly what you are describing without the massive weaknesses the "draft" had in it's writing.

This stuff takes time and rushing it out the door or handing it off to your editor who has a degree in English just results in the fiasco we see unfolding already. If true, the lawyers are probably working at warp speed (comparatively) to write something that actually would hold up and give a SOLID case which can't be refuted or disputed in regards to the picture you paint.

They are in between a rock and a hard place and who knows how it will turn out. It may be they CAN'T figure out a way to write it to seal it all up nice and tight so other options will happen and will have to come out with something else or say something different.

IF this is the case, of course.

All they need right now is a press release. The obvious statement would be "We are not trying to revoke OGL 1.0. Sorry for the misunderstanding. We will be looking at revising some terms in the OGL 1.1."

They don't seem able to say that - or anything.

GreyLord

Legend
All they need right now is a press release. The obvious statement would be "We are not trying to revoke OGL 1.0. Sorry for the misunderstanding. We will be looking at revising some terms in the OGL 1.1."

They don't seem able to say that - or anything.

They could, but that may also open the hornet's nest even more. They ARE trying to revoke 1.0 in the above case. It's just that they aren't trying to revoke it in ALL cases, just those that could be applicable in tying games to use the new SRD (or 5e deriviatives) without the usage of 1.1 or whatever they come up with next.

Without knowing how it may be crafted yet (lawyers aren't done) it could be incredibly hard to put out a PSA without guaranteeing they won't be contradicting themselves in the future.

As I have said, I am not a lawyer but I did run the Legal department in one of my jobs and spent $10M+ a year.

What I learned is that you try and write the best contract in good faith that you can to dissuade people from taking you to court, but in the USA (I grew up in Canada where fighting in court is not quite the same as the culture in the USA) once it does go to court, you really do not know what you would face. We won a smashing victory in the USA only to have it reopened in Canada. I have been to arbitration hearing where we caught the other side in bald faced lies where the arbitrator still looked for a way to arrive at a more 50/50 split.

I also learned that if you have a settlement that is good enough, you just take it. Otherwise you lose hours to days to months of your life and still end up on at best a high percentage dice roll. My business advice to some of the publishers I know is figure out how big a number to present to Hasbro if you actually get them on the ropes. Why work for decades if you can get paid quicker?

Very few people are so focused on principles that they will fight to the death on this. Easy to say that but Hasbro is not offering you $10M to settle and go away.

From my risk adjusted gut feel, there is a really bad fact pattern for WoTC on the intent of the words we are arguing about here, but Hasbro has some pretty good lawyers and a budget to hire really good help. I have no idea what they actually have up their sleeves and I doubt it is terrible.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I think I've said quite a bit! I keep reiterating that (1) I don't think your certainty is fully warranted, (2) I personally don't comment on law that is outside of my jurisdiction for a very good reason, and find it beyond strange that you are so confident that your knowledge of Canadian law allows you to speak for "all jurisdictions," and (3) did not think it was appropriate for you to attack someone (incorrectly, I would add) simply for having an opinion different than yours.

For what it's worth, I tend to think that Kit Walsh is more credible in matters of United States IP law, contract law, and open licenses than anonymous people on the internet- and that includes you and me. :)
You are jumping in on a lengthy discussion where I have been careful to express, multiple times, that nothing is certain in litigation. I have said so both in this thread and in threads on the main page in which you have participated, too. I trust you saw those posts?

I have also mentioned above, indeed, one or two posts after those you took issue with, that framed the outcome as in terms of likely and unlikely. My point: we are not in disagreement about the concept of uncertainty in litigation.

That said, Kit Walsh did not attempt - in any manner - to delve into the highly unusual history - with facts that are at an absurd law school exam level - of the dealings between WotC and Paizo and the events that surrounded the publication of Pathfinder 1 under the 1.0a OGL. I assume that is very probably simply because she didn't know about them.

I phrased that it was utter nonsense that a court would accept, on a balance of probabilities, that WotC knew that had the power to de-authorize OGL 1.0a at a time when they found themselves competing with Paizo and driven from their leadership place in the marketplace, when all they had to do was make an announcement to de-authorize it and it was over. Well, then. They simply chose not to do it and that explains it best.

OR

That the OGL 1.0a was at all times understood to be irrevocable; that WotC itself had that understanding; that it had held out the OGL 1.0a to others on its own website explicitly saying so; that is had also said so through its corporate officers to other licensees and to those in the media; and, that because the OGL 1.0a was irrevocable THAT was why WotC never purported to "de-authorize" it in 2008 when it found itself competing with Paizo. Add to this, comments from former officers of WotC as to their intention before the OGL was even reduced to writing in terms of what Dancey had requested of counsel to prepare - and why.

Is the explanation the court will accept for this choice simply that they simply chose not do so, in the context of the commercial competition between WotC and Paizo since 2008 (and especially 2008-2014?) That is utter nonsense.

I don't have to be a "careful lawyer" to hold myself back from expressing that. I'm clearly not the judge -- but there's no way that is at all a likely outcome - and no lawyer, imo, would say it was. Kit Walsh didn't either. Again, I assume that was because she simply didn't know about those highly unusual facts and she was confining herself to an analysis of the language of the OGL 1.0a without reference to the conduct of the parties under that agreement over a course of decades.

Again, as @bmcdaniel notes in terms of interpreting this agreement, we go first to the words, but then if there is any basis for ambiguity -- the court looks to the conduct of the parties in how they conducted themselves under the agreement. Ambiguity will be all but certain to be alleged by the defendant(s). Contracts are not statutes - the intention of the parties is the most important consideration, and the evidence the parties treated it as irrevocable is frequent and explicit in this case. All of this unusual fact evidence is likely fatal to WotC's position.

As for who WotC will be having that fight with -- it is entirely probable that WotC would prefer to choose to have that fight with some other litigant other than the one corporate defendant who is best able to afford to fight them -- and who because of their unique history, has the best case, and the most to lose. All true.

However, as I also mentioned earlier in this [72 page?] thread, as the OGL 1.0a contract under discussion is the same contract Paizo relies upon to this day, Paizo would have a clear interest, and generally have a right (but no obligation) to intervene regarding that contractual issue if there is some declaration being sought under it or about it which could affect Paizo's interests. I think there is a good chance Paizo would do so if it felt it could to its advantage - but that's ultimately up to Lisa Stevens and Paizo's lawyers and nobody else but them. It is by no means certain, at all, that they would. I think we agree on that, too.

And yes, WotC could choose to settle its affairs under the OGL 1.0a with Paizo in a manner that was to the advantage of Paizo - and to the disadvantage of everybody else. I don't think it's helpful to go down that road and feed that "settlement conspiracy" here, but sure, it's possible.

pemerton

Legend
How would you propose getting hobbyists to create works, using 1.0a OGC, that you have monopolistic vtt rights to that is less complicated than making a new ogl?
I take it you are asking - how could WotC (i) get hobbyists to create works, which is 1.0a OGC, such that (ii) WotC is the only part with legal permission to use that work in a VTT context?

I think the answer to that question is It can't. Parties to the OGL v 1.0a have agreed to acknowledge WotC's copyright in the SRD and any other OGC it contributes into the ecosystem, have agreed to respect WotC's product identity as the OGL v 1.0a requires them to do, and have promised to license their own OGC on the same terms. Those terms include the granting to WotC of a non-exclusive royalty-free licence to reproduce the hobbyists' OGC.

For WotC to gain an exclusive licence to the reproduction of that OGC on a VTT, as far as I can see they would have to renegotiate the terms of the hobbyists' licences.

@Steel_Wind post #1358 sets out, in broad terms, the case for the strength of Paizo's rights under the OGL v 1.0/1.0a. No hobbyist is in the same position as Paizo. But they are party to a contract in the same terms as Paizo's. And I simply don't see where that contract confers an authority on WotC to unilaterally deprive licensees of the permission to publish their own licensed work, and to sub-license their own published work, wherever and however they choose to.

Even if, contrary to what I think is the best view, WotC were able to revoke the licence granted to those hobbyists, the upshot would be that (i) those hobbyists continued to enjoy copyright in their work but (ii) its derivative character, in relation to WotC's SRD, might mean that publishing it would infringe WotC's copyrights, and hence (iii) those hobbyists would no longer be able to publish their work. This would not give WotC a right to publish that work in the context of a VTT, let alone the exclusive right to do so.

(Of course, if those hobbyists become parties to the OGL v 1.1 then it's different. That would be them agreeing to new contractual terms.)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That said, Kit Walsh did not attempt - in any manner - to delve into the highly unusual history - with facts that are at an absurd law school exam level - of the dealings between WotC and Paizo and the events that surrounded the publication of Pathfinder 1 under the 1.0a OGL. I assume that is very probably simply because she didn't know about them.

Kit Walsh wrote a brief column. In it, she wrote the following:
As a threshold question, can Wizards of the Coast legally revoke their license? Other open licenses like Creative Commons licenses and the GPL are clear that the rights they grant are irrevocable. At the very least, this means that once you rely on the license to make something, you can keep making it and distributing it no matter what the copyright owner says (as long as you comply with the terms of the license).

The OGL does not say that it is irrevocable, unfortunately. It’s possible that Wizards of the Coast made other promises or statements that will let the beneficiaries of the license argue that they can’t revoke it, but on its face it seems that they can.

Some have pointed to the word “perpetual” to argue that the license is irrevocable, but these are different concepts in the law of licenses. Perpetual means that the license will not expire due to time passing, that’s all.

I would say that this is all accurate, in a brief statement, and correctly caveated. Certainly not worth ... well, you well not exactly kind, were you? You also spent some time misstating her qualifications.

In short, you were kind of being a jerk about what she wrote - and unnecessarily so. Just because you feel strongly about something doesn't mean you have to rubbish other people.*

I phrased that it was utter nonsense that a court would accept, on a balance of probabilities, that WotC knew that had the power to de-authorize OGL 1.0a at a time when they found themselves competing with Paizo and driven from their leadership place in the marketplace, when all they had to do was make an announcement to de-authorize it and it was over. Well, then. They simply chose not to do it and that explains it best.

Again, I have repeatedly noted that I do not understand (a) you insistence on using Canadian law for everything, and (b) why you keep using the standard for a temporary injunction as if it was somehow dispositive for litigation?

We have no idea if Hasbro would even move for a temporary injunction!

That the OGL 1.0a was at all times understood to be irrevocable; that WotC itself had that understanding; that it had held out the OGL 1.0a to others on its own website explicitly saying so; that is had also said so through its corporate officers to other licensees and to those in the media; and, that because the OGL 1.0a was irrevocable THAT was why WotC never purported to "de-authorize" it in 2008 when it found itself competing with Paizo. Add to this, comments from former officers of WotC as to their intention before the OGL was even reduced to writing in terms of what Dancey had requested of counsel to prepare - and why.

One thing I have learned, and I think most American attorneys will tell you, is that you rely on parol evidence and equitable principles (such as promissory estoppel) as a last resort. Actual practice in American courts (how the law is applied, even when the standards appear the same) is very different than Canadian or UK courts.

Is the explanation the court will accept for this choice simply that they simply chose not do so, in the context of the commercial competition between WotC and Paizo since 2008 (and especially 2008-2014?) That is utter nonsense.

This has no bearing on the contract. I appreciate that you feel strongly about this, but bolding and italicization doesn't make post hoc parol evidence more relevant.

Again, as @bmcdaniel notes in terms of interpreting this agreement, we go first to the words, but then if there is any basis for ambiguity -- the court looks to the conduct of the parties in how they conducted themselves under the agreement. Ambiguity will be all but certain to be alleged by the defendant(s). Contracts are not statutes - the intention of the parties is the most important consideration, and the evidence the parties treated it as irrevocable is frequent and explicit in this case. All of this unusual fact evidence is likely fatal to WotC's position.

You keep saying, "{I}n this case." What case?
You say that something is fatal to WoTC's position. What position?

One more time-

THERE IS NO COMPLAINT.
WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT ANY FINAL OGL 1.1 WILL STATE.
WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT LAW APPLIES.
WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HASBRO'S POSITION IS, OR THEIR THEORY OF THE CASE.
WE DO NOT KNOW THE FACTS ALLEGED OR THE CAUSES (and there will be more than one) OF ACTION.
WE DO NOT KNOW THE DEFENDANT(S).

I try to be careful; in my analysis- and that's when I have access to little things like, oh, a copy of the filed complaint! ;)

As for who WotC will be having that fight with -- it is entirely probable that WotC would prefer to choose to have that fight with some other litigant other than the one corporate defendant who is best able to afford to fight them -- and who because of their unique history, has the best case, and the most to lose. All true.

However, as I also mentioned earlier in this [72 page?] thread, as the OGL 1.0a contract under discussion is the same contract Paizo relies upon to this day, Paizo would have a clear interest, and generally have a right (but no obligation) to intervene regarding that contractual issue if there is some declaration being sought under it or about it which could affect Paizo's interests. I think there is a good chance Paizo would do so if it felt it could to its advantage - but that's ultimately up to Lisa Stevens and Paizo's lawyers and nobody else but them. It is by no means certain, at all, that they would. I think we agree on that, too.

Yeah, it doesn't work like that in the United States. You can't just intervene in a random case- which, again, we don't know what is being pled! I can't keep saying this but ... you're asking me to agree that Paizo would be able to intervene in a case, filed in another jurisdiction, against another defendant, with causes of action and evidence that might not apply to Paizo?

I'll pass on that invitation to agree, thank you!

And yes, WotC could choose to settle its affairs under the OGL 1.0a with Paizo in a manner that was to the advantage of Paizo - and to the disadvantage of everybody else. I don't think it's helpful to go down that road and feed that "settlement conspiracy" here, but sure, it's possible.

I wasn't talking about pre-suit settlement. I was talking about what happens, in civil litigation in the United States. Cases settle, and they do so for a very good reason. The reason I mention that is because some people keep saying that a court (ahem) is going to resolve this, without first realizing that in the United States, for most issues we have juries, and (in addition!) any action is unlikely to be resolved by a trial.

*As a reminder, the reason I got involved again was because you wrote the following:
I don't agree with the view of a civil rights attorney, no matter the law school she attended, on that topic. ... I don't care if Kit Walsh got a law degree from Harvard -- she is (most likely) either uninformed of the extreme historical commercial facts of how the parties acted under the OGL 1.0a from 2008 through 2014, or she's a civil rights attorney who is clearly out of her depth - and not a commercial litigator - whose opinion is not worth one red cent.

Asa a reminder, Kit Walsh is an experienced litigator, having previously litigated IP numerous IP cases in multiple jurisdictions for a well-known IP firm in the United States prior to joining the EFF. While she is, as you put it, a mere J.D. from Harvard, she also has a B.S. in neuroscience from M.I.T.- which personally I find much more impressive!

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Is there a distinction in the law between revocation of the license itself and termination of the license w/r/t a particular licensee?
I don't understand what you mean by "revocation of the licence itself." A licence is a private law arrangement - in this case, pursuant to a contract - between two or more parties. It has no existence except insofar as it obtains between those particular parties.

It seems to me I ought to be able to construct a license that is irrevocable but still provides for termination if a licensee breaches its terms.
That seems contradictory to me: clearly if it provides for termination it is not irrevocable. But not being irrevocable doesn't mean is revocable at will. In Australia, my contract of employment is not irrevocable - but that doesn't mean my employer can revoke my contract of employment whenever they feel like it. For instance, I have rights against unfair dismissal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads