Hello, I am lawyer with a PSA: almost everyone is wrong about the OGL and SRD. Clearing up confusion.

mamba

Legend
I just don't see how something can't be both at the same time under those definitions. If you could enlighten me as to why I might be mistaken in that regard, I would be very grateful.
Well, I cannot help you there then, I did that two posts up and apparently failed ;)

Let's turn this around, what is WotC's Open Game Content a derivative of?

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I'm sorry, but how pointless is this line of thought? Even if WotC is a licensor, who cares? It's licensed TO ITSELF. What, it's going to sue itself for violating the license? Since WotC is the licensor, it's not actually bound to the agreements within the license in practical terms since there is no one who can actually enforce that license. Well, again, WotC could enforce the license upon itself, but, since that's incredibly unlikely, who cares?

Well, I cannot help you there then, I did that two posts up and apparently failed ;)

Let's turn this around, what is WotC's Open Game Content a derivative of?
I've re-read your post to make sure this isn't a reading comprehension issue on my part.

I still don't get it. It appears to me that Open Game Content becomes Derivative Material of Open Game Content when it's effectively "plagiarized" under these terms, but it doesn't stop being OGC by virtue thereof. It would have to be both, going by the definition of Open Game Content in Section 1(d).

mamba

Legend
I've re-read your post to make sure this isn't a reading comprehension issue on my part.

I still don't get it. It appears to me that Open Game Content becomes Derivative Material of Open Game Content when it's effectively "plagiarized" under these terms, but it doesn't stop being OGC by virtue thereof. It would have to be both, going by the definition of Open Game Content in Section 1(d).
how about you answer the question I asked instead. Yes, chances are something can be both, all you need to do is publish your derivative material as OGC, but what is WotC’s OGC derivative of…

how about you answer the question I asked instead. Yes, chances are something can be both, all you need to do is publish your derivative material as OGC, but what is WotC’s OGC derivative of…
In the legal sense? Lots of things, most of it in the public domain though. In the context of this being Derivative Material in the context of this contract, it isn't. It's just Open Game Content.

mamba

Legend
In the legal sense? Lots of things, most of it in the public domain though. In the context of this being Derivative Material in the context of this contract, it isn't. It's just Open Game Content.
aha, so under the terms of the OGL it is not derivative material then, that was the point

This could still mean that I'm allowed to license my Derivative Material of their Open Game Content to anyone else though. And as I've understood it, Derivative Material does include verbatim copies of their Open Game Content.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases