D&D 5E helmets?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I'd house rule it. If you're not wearing a helmet, you don't get the full effect of the armor. So if they aren't wearing a helmet, reduce the AC from that armor by 1.

Or maybe in a high fantasy heroic campaign, adding a helmet adds +1 to AC (maybe giving disadvantage to Perception).

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you prefer verisimilitude, or like the option for characters who should be wearing helmets to not wear them for aesthetics.

I personally prefer aesthetics. The players who want their characters in helmets have them wear them, and those who don't, don't.

I don't quite get the aesthetics comment though. Does that one come up in your experience? What I mean is, it's an RPG, not a video game. So it's not like Mass Effect where you might select the "don't show helmets" option so you can see characters' faces during cutscenes.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Simple House Rule: Wearing a helmet negates the first crit you are subject too - then it's broken and needs to be repaired/replaced. If you want to make it a bit more random, say it has a 1 in 6 chance of negating the crit, but still needs to be replaced afterward.

I don't quite get the aesthetics comment though. Does that one come up in your experience? What I mean is, it's an RPG, not a video game. So it's not like Mass Effect where you might select the "don't show helmets" option so you can see characters' faces during cutscenes.

It absolutely comes up. I like to really visualize what is going on in the world. What colors my character is wearing, his hair style, etc, all impact my play experience.

Kalshane

First Post
I know that there's at least one version of the game where equipping a helmet meant you were immune to critical hits, but that rule hasn't shown up in 5E yet, to the best of my knowledge.

The Baldur's Gate games did that. I don't recall coming across that rule in the PNP game, though. (Not to say it didn't exist.)

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Maybe, but I'd shy away from penalizing folks for wearing helmets. It might encourage player behavior in undesired directions.

Curious, what might be some undesired directions?

I guess there are different styles of helmets; I was thinking of full visored helmet.
Surely that would inhibit perception: sound muffling, lack of periphial vision, squinting through a slit.
Out of combat one would take the helmet off and have normal Perception.
In combat, it adds AC but reduces Perception (are characters doing many perception checks in combat?).

A conquistor morion helmet leaves the face and even ears free so wouldn't limit Perception but also wouldn't protect as well so I'm not sure how to work that with a +1 AC bonus.

A conquistor morion helmet leaves the face and even ears free so wouldn't limit Perception but also wouldn't protect as well so I'm not sure how to work that with a +1 AC bonus.
It seems like the easiest way to model this, if you wanted to make helmets way more complicated than shields for whatever reason, is to have them give a variable chance of negating a critical hit with a corresponding penalty. Like, a skull cap has a 2-in-6 chance of negating a critical hit but has no penalty, where an open-face helmet would have a 4-in-6 chance but gives disadvantage on sound-based Perception checks, and a closed-face helmet would have a 100% chance to negate a crit but gives disadvantage on both sound-based and vision-based Perception checks.

If you really wanted to make it work as AC, then you could require a confirmation roll on any attack that hits AC exactly, and scale the difficulty of the confirmation roll to the coverage of the helmet.

Wulffolk

Explorer
House Rule:
Any critical hit against a character has a confirmation roll against a DC equal to 10 + Armor AC (if wearing helmet) + CON bonus.

Wearing a helmet gives disadvantage on hearing for medium armor, and for hearing and sight for heavy armor.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
House Rule:
Any critical hit against a character has a confirmation roll against a DC equal to 10 + Armor AC (if wearing helmet) + CON bonus.

Wearing a helmet gives disadvantage on hearing for medium armor, and for hearing and sight for heavy armor.

I like the sense linked to weight of armor idea.

The confirm bit (I'm thinking that concrpt comes from befire 5e?), doesn't sense to what I would think it would be.
If my opponent critted, they roll a d20 again if I had on a helmet and have to get 10 + 18 (my AC) + 3 (my Con mod) or 31?

I still like the idea of helmet adds +1 because of simplicity; assuming somebody in a breastplate or chain shirt is wearing a helmet seems odd.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases