D&D 4E Help a 4e N00B

roguerouge

First Post
Okay. I've just finished a campaign in Red Box DnD (the one that doesn't go above 3rd level and Dwarf is a character class). Now, my Red Box DM is thinking of running us through something in fourth edition. In other campaigns, I've played or DMed 2e, 3e, and 3.5. I'm sticking with my ongoing third edition campaigns.

But, all I know about this edition is through the edition wars interwebs, so, in short, I know nothing. I don't own the books.

What one thing would you tell someone like me before they sit down to read the Player's handbook? Examples: What one expectation should I set aside? What's one cool thing to look out for? What's the AoO or THACO of this edition? What character class should I play and why?

James McMurray

First Post
What one thing would you tell someone like me before they sit down to read the Player's handbook?

[W] means "weapon damage." So if your weapon normally deals 1d8 and you have an attack that deals 3[W], you'll deal 3d8. It's very basic, but gets asked a lot because the powers frequently reference it, but they don't explain it until much later in the book.

What one expectation should I set aside?

Vancian magic. Except as a small portion of the Wizard class, Vancian magic doesn't exist.

What's one cool thing to look out for?

That depends on what you think is cool. I like the way this edition made movement and tactics an integral part of the game.

What's the AoO or THACO of this edition?

AoOs work the same as 3.x but simpler. Attack bonuses are like 3.x's BAB.

If you meant "what's confusing" I can't think of anything.

What character class should I play and why?

Whichever one's role and powers look fun to you.

Nurgle84

First Post
First thing about 4th edition: There are no editions before, forget them ;) No really, the rules are completely different. I am playing it half a year now as a DM and my players still refer to old rules that do not exist in 4th.

Second: THAC0 is now your to-hit bonus. Just add the bonus to a roll of the d20 and if you reach the appropiate defense, you hit. Speaking of defenses, there are 4 now. The old saving throws are now defenses. There are Your Armour Class, Fortitude, Reflex and Will. They all work the same way, attack roll versus defense. Hit if D20 + Bonus = Defense.

Third: Very important, optimizing your character is less important. Instead try to optimize the group. Grouptactics have become very important.

Fourth: Every class is cool. There is no class that can´t do fancy things. Fighters can now do their own "magic". (comprised of hacking and slaying, but without spilling blood on the audience, that would be rude :D)

Sixth: What class you should play? Give the Warlord a chance. He is like a fighter, with less AC and damage but he can dish out boni to the entire group, and he can heal. I like Warlords.

roguerouge

First Post
To clarify: by THACO and AoOs I meant to imply "notoriously confusing" rule or term, but help clarifying attacks is pretty much always appreciated.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It's a lot more fun for me to play than to read. Don't try to read all the powers; your eyes will cross. :)

I recommend you download the free Character Builder demo from WotC's site. It'll make heroes up to 3rd level, and it's a nice way to make a character and have the math done for you.

Obryn

Hero
What one thing would you tell someone like me before they sit down to read the Player's handbook?
As someone who greatly enjoys 4e, I'll echo Piratecat and say, "Don't read the whole thing." Unless, that is, you love reading what amount to spell lists. Reading the entire PHB seems like a very unpleasant way to spend your time. :)

The class descriptions will give you a good idea of how a class operates. I wouldn't read past the first 3 levels of powers for any classes you're interested in.

Examples: What one expectation should I set aside?
Saving throws are different. Conditions (apart from Slowed, most of the time) are, arguably, more important than damage for most classes. Also, small bonuses to-hit are huge. Large bonuses to hit are probably the best benefit in the game. Because combats last longer, a slight shift in percentages can make a huge difference.

What's one cool thing to look out for?
Interactions, IMHO. Try to figure out how a group of characters can work together as a team. As a very simple example, a Warlord's Wolfpack Tactics mean that their Rogue buddy will almost always be able to sneak attack.

What's the AoO or THACO of this edition?
I've been playing for long enough I don't remember... Sorry. :/

What character class should I play and why?
It depends on what you want to do. I'd look at one of four character classes (just personal preference)

Fighter: I think every group needs one. Seriously. Fighters are a lot more tactical than most other classes, and though you may get some damage envy, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Fighters control the whole battle. (As a note, use a shield. You'll be attacked a LOT.)

Rogue: Again, you have a lot of tactical options. You can do an astonishing amount of damage with a Sneak Attack, and you have a few options which make this potentially one of the most entertaining classes in the game. Both "builds" work - just be sure to pick up the attack vs. Reflex. :)

Warlord or Cleric: If you want to get into the middle of fights and boss people around, take Warlord. Tactical warlords are best if you have someone else who can do healing. Inspiring warlords are probably better if you don't. If you want to really dominate with healing and crush undead, Clerics are pretty amazing. If you go Cleric, concentrate either on your Wisdom-based attacks or on your Strength-based attacks. Don't try to do both.

Wizard: Yes, they get criticized a lot. They are not always the most powerful characters, but then again I don't think they're always played right. If you try to build a wizard like a striker - that is, concentrating on damage rather than on special effects - you will hate it. If you concentrate on effects, you will probably love it. Orb wizards are my favorite. Staff wizards are also excellent. Wand wizards, I'm less impressed with.

If you want interesting stuff to do, stay away from Rangers. If you want a very simple character, on the other hand, you can't lose with them. Arguably, they're the least-tactically-interesting class in the game - particularly the Archer ranger. They set up interesting tactics for everyone else, but you might get bored just rolling attacks and damage.

Paladins have some flaws, but if you are short-handed, they can do a decent job as a hybrid fighter-cleric.

Warlocks can be amazing, but IMHO they're kind of a fifth character, once you have all the other roles filled. Still, they're my favorites - they have more flavor than any other class in the game.

I hope this helps!

-O

there's already been tons of great advice. as a player and GM of 4e, i definitely agree w/ not reading every page of every class: your eyes will hate you for it, and most of it won't make any sense to you anyway.

me personally, i'm a real big fan of the paladin class, mainly b/c i think it's mechanically a more interesting class than other defender, the fighter. warlords are also very interesting, although i think they stink at the very early levels.

i don't know if you're the kind of player who likes to fill gaps in a group, but what do you know about the rest of the party? that might be really, really important. also, find out what books are/aren't in play: PHB1 only? PHB2 and/or martial powers? FR material?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
What one thing would you tell someone like me before they sit down to read the Player's handbook? Examples: What one expectation should I set aside? What's one cool thing to look out for? What's the AoO or THACO of this edition? What character class should I play and why?

The coolest thing for me on the player side is how the classes work well together. In 4e, all the classes are assigned "roles" that define how they are supposed to work together in combat. Defenders "tank" the bad guys...they absorb damage and protect other members of the party...leaders heal and buff others (but still can deal out lots of damage)...strikers deal out more damage than anyone, and controllers (of which there is only the wizard in the PHB) help cut down minions and shape the terrain of the battlefield to the player's advantage.

The coolest thing on the DM side is how easy it is to create or customize a monster and to run the game. Combat is very efficient with less bookkeeping and more action, giving us more time to roleplay.

I love all editions of D&D (including BECMI...the Rules Cyclopedia is a beautiful thing) but 4e is my favorite so far with regard to prep time and combat fun.

The only bad thing about 4e for me is that there are no simple class choices. My more casual players used to be perfectly happy playing fighters and now that's as complex an option as any. But with the Character Builder, it's not hard to generate a character and cards for the powers, and that helps.

The "AoO" or "Thac0" of the new rules is the Stealth skill in my opinion. Download the update to the Player's Handbook for the revised Stealth rule to save yourself some headaches.

Official D&D Updates

Last edited:

Remove ads