D&D 4E Help a 4e N00B

James McMurray

First Post
And also, after every milestone (ostensibly, after every 2 encounters), you can use one more magic item daily that day.

But not if that daily is from an item you've already used that day (i.e. you can't reuse the same item. Your "daily slots" go up by one, but your items don't refresh).

deadsmurf

First Post
A big thing (ok two things) to remember when you're first starting up with your first 4E character - get your mind out of 3.5 mode - defences get bonuses from the better of two stats, reflex and AC both are sourced off Dexterity OR inteligence, Fortitude is based on Strength OR Constitution, and Will is based on Wisdom OR Charisma. It's usually important to have a decent stat in one of each category.
The other thing is that you add your TOTAL constition score to HP, and don't add your bonus each level.
These confused me, and other players in my group when we first started.

chris.crouch

Explorer
Some terminology changes that might catch you out:

1) "Saving Throw" means "roll a 10 or more on a d20" - nothing to do with Fort/Ref/Will

2) Fortitude, Reflex & Will are static defences like AC. You never roll your Fort, Ref or Will, the enemy just has to beat your value on their attack

3) Where attacks say for example "Str vs AC" or "Int vs Will", the Str or Will part is the modifier + 1/2 level. When the damage lists [W]+Dex or 1d6+Wis, the attribute modifier doesn't include 1/2 level.

Chris

DracoSuave

First Post
3) Where attacks say for example "Str vs AC" or "Int vs Will", the Str or Will part is the modifier + 1/2 level. When the damage lists [W]+Dex or 1d6+Wis, the attribute modifier doesn't include 1/2 level.

In fact, if you're rolling a d20 and ability mod, or it's a defense against a d20 roll, you add half your level, otherwise you don't.

I save time by writing my ability mods twice, once for the normal mod, and the other half-level adjusted for skill-checks and the like.

roguerouge

First Post
This is all really great. My DM wrote me to say that he's watching this thread with interest, as it will be his first time DMing this edition as well. Any recommendations for him, in terms of home brew or purchased modules?

Gort

Explorer
I ran Keep on the Shadowfell to start me off, and it was pretty good and straightforward. Pre-printed maps are awesome as well.

The only thing about it is that it is definitely a massive dungeon hack - there are lots of rather unimportant fights where you beat up some goblins who just happen to be in the dungeon - it can feel a lot like fighting for the sake of fighting. This seems to be a common problem with the WotC modules. If you're a fan of hacking tons of stuff to death you'll do well.

Otherwise, give the players more quest XP and drop some of the more pointless encounters.

Personally I've looked at various of the canned modules, but I am just one of those people that really LIKES to make up adventures, so I haven't run any of them. Plus I kind of think there is an overemphasis on combat in the ones I've looked at. If most of what players face is combat encounters, then they tend to start character optimizing for combat and I'd say things get less interesting myself. It can get a bit absurd at high levels.

I think the adventure and encounter building guidelines in the DMG don't really emphasize the need to create interesting terrain and environmental elements which allow for maximum use of skills in combat. You can get away with SOME encounters that are sort of old-style "Monsters in a Room" type stuff, but I'd only do that for fairly trivial encounters or just once in a while for the sake of variety.

DMs should NEVER (again unless there is a real story reason for it or its part of a tactical concept for an encounter) have the old proverbial 20x20 room with some Orcs in it and nothing else. The area will be far too small for a decent combat and it will just be a toe-to-toe boring slugfest. 4e combat is all about moving around, hiding, using skills to perform stunts, etc. An encounter area should thus be large enough for the combatants to move around and flank each other, etc. Ideally it should have some terrain that presents a tactical challenge, like the orc archers can only be gotten to if you take a long way around a side corridor, or climb ropes up to a balcony, etc.

Personally I think half of the encounters should be skill challenges, roughly. Some can mix both, so you would probably have more than 50% being combat as well. The skill challenges of course can't block progress on a failure, but they should either reward success with some extra benefit or result in some loss of resources like healing surges on failure. Make SURE the DM gets the DMG errata since the skill challenge math as printed was really completely out to lunch.

Mostly, 4e is supposed to be cinematic. It is like a simulation of an Errol Flynn movie or Raiders of The Lost Arc than anything else. When building encounters imagine you're making a movie set. Everything serves the story and all fluff is just skin deep, change it as you like.

Storminator

First Post
2) Fortitude, Reflex & Will are static defences like AC. You never roll your Fort, Ref or Will, the enemy just has to beat your value on their attack

Related to this: when you are at the table and making attacks, be sure to mention the defense you are attacking.

"17 vs Reflex for 9 damage" or "17 vs AC for 9 damage"

not

"I got a 17"

If everyone does this every time, the fights go a lot smoother.

PS

Jack99

Adventurer
This is all really great. My DM wrote me to say that he's watching this thread with interest, as it will be his first time DMing this edition as well. Any recommendations for him, in terms of home brew or purchased modules?

I would recommend making my own, the first level adventures available for 4e are among the weaker (ie those of higher level are better). However, if he wants something published to be inspired, you have Keep on the Shadowfell (dungeonhack), Sellswords of Punjar (Urban adventure) and Isle of the Sea Drake (Wilderness adventure). Of the 3, I think Isle of the Sea Drake is the best.

Sellswords and Isle are both by Goodman Games.

Cheers

Remove ads