D&D 5E Help a rogue with her special item wish list

Flareanthia

First Post
Hello everyone :)

I have posted a thread before, and I was so happy with how many people took the time and actually gave me really helpful replies and material to build on! So I'm being greedy now :D And making more threads since I've seen just how helpful yall are:

I just started playing in a really awesome campaign, by a new DM running groups simultaneously in the same world! It's really fun, and he has an interesting system; My DM has a journal page set up where each party and each player can put up certain items, a wish list.

I have never come across this before, and I have no idea what to put in it X3

We have played 4 sessions in our group so far, and I am no closer to knowing what I can wish for. I don't want to ask for something too powerful, since we were told that ridiculous requests will stay as just requests, and I don't want to leave my wishlist being wasted either, can you help a rogue out?

The background is that I am a Swashbuckling Rogue, Triton race from Volo's guide to monsters, and my allies and I are on a seafaring adventure! But I can't come up with anything good...

The only items I've been able to think of is a rapier with a light property (that way I can use it with a dagger, hooray!), I've asked for a lucky blade, in the form of a dagger, and I've asked for a chain shirt with a bonus to AC (I have a medium armour feat, and so I don't have to be ultra squishy).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! If you don't know what to recommend for my rogue, just go ahead and shout out whatever magic items you like! Seriously as you can see from my own tiny list, I'm stumped. So please, be creative, I know you pros will come up with way better stuff than lil ol' me could :3

As always, thanks in advance!

Hey. Those are modes requests. Ask your DM if he is ok with you using rapier and dagger in conjunction. Its no big deal. A medium armor with extra AC is cool. A mithril armor may ve even better.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I like Utility Items. Especially for Rogues. You may like one of these:
Slippers of Spider Climbing
Immovable Rod
Gloves of Thievery
Hat of Disguise

Wave. If that is too powerful an item, a Trident of Fish Command. Fits a bit less with rogue and more with the triton / seafaring setup. Also see if the DM would be willing to allow a finessable one so you can sneak attack (the trident is frankly a sub poor weapon so this isn't as big a deal as it sounds).

Or if ranged combat is more your think, talk with your DM about some type of awesome magic handcrossbow (or even pistol) to play up that inner pirate. Or a hook hand (treat as dagger), perhaps with a hookshot type of chain (that grappling hook video above comes to mind).

If your DM isn't the type to make magic items, other good options include the foldable boat box thing, gloves of thievery, a ring of elemental control, or ring animal influence.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Are you looking for weapons or useful stuff? I find most weapons to be pretty dull, so I can't help a lot there. Dancing swords are super cool though, especially for a swashbuckler.

My go to for an inventive, versatile item that you can have tons of fun with is a set of three immovable rods. The immovable rod is in my opinion the single best new magic item added to the game in the last 20 years. For a quick-thinking character, just about nothing is going to be more fun. It's diminished a bit if you only get on (or two) though.

Aside from that, a cloak or ring of invisibility is always handy, or an item that boosts your Charisma somehow - being invisible helps sneaking around, but if you go the opposite route it's always cool to scare somebody off with your fancy swordplay (intimidation check, hence Charisma boost).

Also, check out the ring of the ram. It's another flavorful, cinematic kind of item.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I have a halfling thief with a dagger that returns when thrown. It also has a spell usable 1/rest (Misty Step). It is not that powerful but comes in handy. I like the returning property more for game play than it breaking the system and the 30ft teleport spell is handy for situations other than combat as well. In more of a seafaring campaign I could see this on a trident or spear and be cool as well.

Remove ads