Help creating a Monk

Akhkharu

First Post
I will be playing a Monk for the first time and was wondering what feats would be good for them. Can use and of the core books.

Have the following scores for stats, place as see fit.
18 17 17 16 14 12

The character is a human 1 level Wizard, 6 levels monk.

Also suggested items would be great. Gold as 7th level character.

Thanks
Akh

Last edited:

Mordekai

First Post
Wow

I'd go with

St: 17 (+1 from 4th) = 18
Dx: 18
Cn: 16
In: 14
Ws: 17
Ch: 12

Focus on items that increase your stats, and maybe an amulet of natural attacks, plus any AC boosters you feel you need.

As far as feats go, I'm not certain, other than (almost-required for a Monk) Spring Attack. Maybe an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in one of the OA monk weapons, if allowed--the three-section staff or Lajatang will let you capitalize on your high strength, giving you 1d8 + 1.5*StMod damage on each attack, even flurries.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Wow

Mordekai said:
I'd go with

St: 17 (+1 from 4th) = 18
Dx: 18
Cn: 16
In: 14
Ws: 17
Ch: 12

Focus on items that increase your stats, and maybe an amulet of natural attacks, plus any AC boosters you feel you need.

As far as feats go, I'm not certain, other than (almost-required for a Monk) Spring Attack. Maybe an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in one of the OA monk weapons, if allowed--the three-section staff or Lajatang will let you capitalize on your high strength, giving you 1d8 + 1.5*StMod damage on each attack, even flurries.
Boy those are some high stats.

I agree with Mordy. High str is a must for a monk who is going to be in combat a lot. High Con is important too because they have less HP than the typical melee classes. Mordy's advice on weapons is good advice too.

Dodge is a good 1st level feat for monks because you need all the AC you can get. Mobility is good too, it helps you get in possition to flank and to soak up AoO to let other people get in unmolested. With that Dex, Combat Reflexes could be a good feat too.

--Core Spikey

MeanGenes

First Post
I'd say:

Str 18
Dex 16
Con 17
Int 14
Wis 17
Cha 12

For the 4th level stat raise, I'd go with wisdom or con.

For spells, you have to take True Strike and Shield (can't go wrong with a +7 to ac bonus).

If you're playing this character for long term, I'd check out Oriental Adventures and pick the feats necessary for the martial art style which boosts your unarmed damage. But for now, go with Power Attack (nasty when combined with true strike), cleave, roundabout kick (in OA), and maybe improved grapple.

UofMDude

First Post
What kind of monk are you going for? There are some really great feats for monks in the OA book.

Flying kick is a great starter. And there are some really great feats that let you use AoO for extra things (disarming people that hit you or even get off an AoO when someone hits you). Combat Reflexes is of course a must if you're going to use any of those. Improved Grapple is good too.

Personally, I think monks work best when you can use the special abilities and special attacks. This won't work too well against monsters with unarmed attacks though so it really depends on the style of campaign you will be running.

UofMDude

Zhure

First Post
my version

Wizard 1/Monk 6

I'd much rather take Sorcerer 1/Monk 6 if you don't plan on increasing your mage levels.

Str 18 (by 4th level)
Dex 16
Con 17
Int 14
Wis 17
Cha 12

Consider raising Wis to 18 at 8th level (raise your Stunning Blow saves and AC), then 19 at 12th level and take the Blind Sight Feat. At 16th, raise it 1 more point to 20 Wisdom, again for the stunning blow saves and AC. At 20th level, raise your CON to 18. This will give you +20 hit points by then.

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Pain Touch, Combat Reflexes. For future selections, think about Expert Tactician (9), Blindsight (12), EWP: Three-section Staff or Lajatang (15), Great Cleave (18).

I'd pick Three-section staff over Lajatang. The tri-staff folds for convenient storage and is probably easier for non-asian weaponsmiths to make.

The EWP and Great Cleave are the easiest to drop. They're both campaign dependent on utility, as the DM may not allow the first and the second might not come up as often. You might consider gaining some sort of MWP: Longbow/shortbow to get a Strength Bow.

Familiar: Bat. They're mobile, make great scouts, and have Blindsight.

Spells: True Strike, Mage Armor

While Shield is a fantastic spell, Mage Armor adds +4 instead of +7, it lasts 1 hour per level rather than 1 minute per level. It's relatively easy to get a Wand of Shield. Magic Missile is another good selection for a monk as they get no good missile weapons.

For cantrips, Detect Magic, Read Magic and Prestidigitation are probably the best. Mage Hand is a close 4th.

If you do stick with Wizard, use your Scribe Scroll Feat to write lots of scrolls of both your primary 1st level spells, but I can't stress highly enough how much easier your life will be with Sorcerer).

Magic Items: No specific list as I can't remember the gp value off the top of my head, but these are the things to try for.
- Monk's Belt, Boots of Speed OR Belt of Giant Strength, Boots of Striding and Springing
- Ring of Jump, Ring of Protection
- Vest of Faith OR Vest of False Life
- Brooch of Shielding Or Amulet of Natural Armor
- Cloak of Protection or Cloak of the Mountebank
- Goggles of Darkvision
- Helm of Teleportation or Hat of Disguise
- Bracers of archer or Ki Straps
- Wands: Magic Missile, Fireball, Shield

Hope that helps,
Greg

Psyduck

First Post
I disagree with a few of the other posts. Your highest score should be Wisdom before dex, as it helps your AC as well, but a lot of your bonuses rely on Wisdom. Stunning attack is one I can think of off the top of my head.

Nareau

Explorer
How long will you be playing this character? Will you be adding Monk levels? Or Wizard levels?

If you're going to pursue your Wizardly studies, you should make those Monk levels your first. By starting off as a first level Monk, you'll score an extra 8 skill points.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I would normally agree that you should make Wis your highest score. But in this case it hardly matters. It is only one level away to your next stat point. Choose based on whether you would rather have +1 to AC or +1 to hit (the other differences are a wash).

Consider picking up a cheap wand of mage armor and wand of shield.

Remove ads