Help Design an Encounter with a Giant Eel

Stoat

Adventurer
My PC's have decided to hunt giant Eels, and I'm a little flummoxed as to how to set that up.

They're sixth level. They have access to a fair-sized boat and at least one ballista. I haven't statted out the giant eel yet, but it'll probably be an elite or solo. It lives in a coral reef a few miles offshore from a tropical island.

I'm open to any suggestions any of y'all might have to punch up the inevitable fight between Eel and Man.

Saagael

First Post
You might look at stealing some stats from the Astral Kraken in MM3, its a really good monster for the "sea creature vs boat" battle. Come to think of it, you might be able to turn the (updated) Purple Worm into an ocean creature. I'd look at making it a solo lurker and starting the battle off something like this:

Players are sailing in the early morning, fog still lingers around them. They hear the shriek of the giant eel and get goosebumbs. All of a sudden their boat thuds into something and stops. The players see a single large eel wrapped around the boat with part of its body looming high above them. They have to try and fight this single eel, and when they do a quarter of its hit points, it retreats to the ocean for a round, only to jump back out, over the boat, showing its full 50ft length.

The "real" fight would then commence. The eel could have ship-based attacks, like a ram attack that attacks all shipboard characters' reflex, and on a hit the character slides (stumbles) 3 squares and falls prone (gotta try and knock players off some how :devil:).

I'd also make jumping off the boat and attacking the eel in the water seem like a good idea. Maybe the eel hovers just out of reach of melee characters, so they can either use ballista, or try and jump in the water and attack it. Then you can give the eel some kind of "devour" ability like the Purple Worm to try and eat characters in the water.

I'd also suggest tracking the ship's hit points. Maybe give the boat 100 hit points, and every time the eel attacks the ship it takes 2d10+10 damage, so that after so many attacks, the ship starts to sink and the players are left fighting on the floating wreckage of their ship, trying to stay out of the water.

This also is a sneaky way of splitting characters' actions. You can allow players to make skill checks as standard actions to repair the ship. This keeps everyone from focus firing on the eel and locking it down real quick, as every round or two, a few players have to try and repair the ship.

Anyway, hope this gets your creative juices flowing. :)

Saagael

First Post
Could you make it electric, but to keep it a surprise, it can't use such abilities until bloodied? (That would explain why no one knew of that before.)

But that's precisely what they'd expect. They should be something completely wacky and out there... like a fire eel that makes boils water around its prey 'cause it likes a cooked meal.

ahayford

First Post
If and when your PC's slay the beastie, it could turn out to actually have been

1) Worshipped by a tribe of fish-men (or whatever is appropriate for your campaign)
2) The pet of a rather irate ocean giant, god, what have you.
3) Tasty

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The Dire Eel: A Phased Solo
The battle takes place as the characters are sailing off the shore of a tropical island, above a coral reef, looking for the eel. To find it, they need to make the following skill checks using an appropriate Investigation skill (such as Perception to see it, Nature to know its habits, or Athletics to swim down and look for signs of it, or Streetwise to chat with other sailors for hints). A character who fails can no longer make attempts, and if all characters fail before success, the eel finds them first...and gets a surprise round.
  1. DC 19: The party realizes that the creature is nocturnal, and the hunt must continue that night.
  2. DC 21: The party finds the remains of the eel's last meal: a Dire Crab, completely crushed and devoured. A further DC 21 Investigation check on the crab (something like Heal, Perception, or Nature) can note how it died: grabbed by one of the claws with carapace-piercing teeth, it was dragged from its lair in the coral, and stunned with some sort of singing blast, and constricted until it cracked. It's missing several limbs and a claw.
  3. DC 23: The nocturnal hunt in the clear waters of the reef finds a sign of the creature: the rest of the Dire Crab, laying outside a crevice in the reef. A further DC 23 Interaction check (something like Nature, Diplomacy, or Bluff) provokes the creature into emerging.
  4. Success!: The eel emerges, spoiling for a fight!
Essential Eel Stats (Solo Lurker): AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 20, Will 16; Attack vs. AC +11; Attack vs. Other: +9; Damage: 2d10+11; Phase HP: 58. Initiative: It acts after each party member acts.

The battle continues in phases:
Phase I: The Curious Eel (58 hp)
The eel swims beneath the water, investigating the ship and these unusual creatures, and wants to see if they are a threat, or food. It is largely immune to PC attacks while underwater (the water breaks line of effect), though the ballista on the ship can hit it (those proficient in the crossbow can add their proficiency bonus to ballista attacks, others are just rolling ranged basic attacks). The ballista deals 2d8+4 damage to the eel (no ability modifiers). A character can "delay" their attack to trigger when the eel surfaces to attack, but the eel's attacks are entirely underwater at this point.

On each of its turns, the eel attacks the ship. This causes the ship to shake violently (+9 attack vs. Reflex, no damage, but if hit, the character on falls overboard). Overboard characters are attacked more directly by the eel's bite(+11 vs. AC, 2d10+11 damage and the character is grabbed. They must escape or be missed, and make a DC 23 Athletics check to swim back to the ship, +2 to the roll for each square of movement granted by any powers used on them), who ignores the ship in favor of the struggling prey.

Once it takes some damage, it moves on to its next phase.

Phase II: The Angry Eel (58 hp)
The eel surfaces to attack the deck of the ship directly! It rears up and blasts electricity, attacking all characters on deck (+9 vs. Fortitude, 1d10+10 damage and the creature is stunned (save ends) if hit, on a miss: half damage, stunned (end of next)). The eel then goes back underwater, and hits the ship.

Every other round, the Eel spends underwater, hitting the ship as above. On its alternate rounds, the eel rises up and attacks a creature with its bite. At this point, until it goes underwater on its next turn, it is vulnerable to attacks. A creature hit by the bite on this round, and who does not escape before the eel's next turn, is dragged underwater when the eel returns, and must swim back to the ship as above.

Pase III: The Clever Eel (58 hp)
The eel blasts electricity again as above, and then submerges itself, and goes to constrict the ship itself -- it will be crushed in 3 rounds (after each of the PC's go, make a note of how the ship is getting worse). The eel is only vulnerable to ballista attacks during the first two rounds, and then is vulnerable to normal attacks. It responds by biting at any creatures who attack it.

After some damage, it gives up. If the ship gets destroyed, though, the eel begins trying to eat creatures in the water as above. The DC 23 Athletics check lets a character find a piece of floating driftwood long enough to catch their breath.

Phase IV: The Worried Eel (58 hp)
When this phase begins, the eel blasts a final blast of electricity as above, and then attempts to escape. The party can pursue it by making a DC 19 Investigation check of some sort (Nature, Perception...anything that could track the creature), with each check allowing the party to keep pace with the beast, making attacks. A failed check means no ballista attack is possible this turn. While submerged, it is immune to attacks that don't come from the ballista, as above.

If the ship is destroyed, the eel cannot be pursued directly, but can be tracked slowly with the same check.

After one round of fleeing, the eel hides in the reef itself. The party must now go in physically after the beast, making a DC 15 Athletics check to swim into and through the lair. Each failed check drains a healing surge from the character, as they begin to drown. Each successful check increases the DC of the next check by +1. Once they swim in, the beast attacks with its bite, but is also vulnerable to attacks. The lair is twisty and turny, however -- after swimming into it and getting attacked, the eel tries to hide in the lair, requiring a DC 17 Investigation check (as above) to locate the eel until its next turn. An eel that cannot be located, can't be attacked. On each of its turns, the eel will bite someone, and try to hide. On each of their turns, the party can attempt to find it (DC 17), attempt to swim to it (DC as above), and attempt to attack it (defenses as above).

When the eel is finally reduced to 0 hp, it releases another electric blast as a final insult, and then floats lifelessly.

Aftermath
The party, once the eel is dead, can haul its corpse back to the boat at a more casual pace, after surfacing and taking in some breath. The boat's crew can help them, and the eel might need to be cut up into pieces to be removed from its lair. If the ship is sunk, the party will need to swim to the nearest island, and many of the ship's crew will be dead -- possibly the losses from this will be a lot greater than whatever award they hoped to get from killing the beast.

This is my patented "phased combat," which I do for big epic solos who I feel work better as cinematic encounters rather than tactical ones. It's worked pretty OK, though keep in mind it deliberately makes a lot of abilities useless for a good chunk of the adventure and challenges characters who might not be very good at things to make skill checks to do things anyway.

wlmartin

Explorer
My PC's have decided to hunt giant Eels, and I'm a little flummoxed as to how to set that up.

They're sixth level. They have access to a fair-sized boat and at least one ballista. I haven't statted out the giant eel yet, but it'll probably be an elite or solo. It lives in a coral reef a few miles offshore from a tropical island.

I'm open to any suggestions any of y'all might have to punch up the inevitable fight between Eel and Man.

I would think of the Eel as more of a Hazard than a Monster in this situation.

It would be MUCH easier to design and you could build a Skill Challenge around it... where failures result in it attacking and successes result in it being attacked.

I am thinking a Kracken attacking a Pirate Boat, its tendrils are everywhere and the little peon sized sailors are trying to fight it... they are bugs to him.

that could work maybe

Infiniti2000

First Post
It's okay to make them electric. If the party plans for this, that's okay. Make their preparations matter. However, IMO eels aren't very physical regarding crushing things, so I don't really like the idea of it physically attacking the boat. Eels are very light and narrow and some can't even generate negative pressure, they have pharyngeal jaws. I definitely recommend using this real-world ability, which will seem awfully like the Alien movie.

Another ability could be part of the sliminess. Although most eels aren't really slimy, a lot of people think they are, and you can use this instead of the crushing powers others have suggested above. I guess it might function similarly, but instead of crushing the boat, the eel rubs up against it, spreading his caustic (to organics) slime. The slime is insoluble in water and needs to be scraped off. I'm sure there's another monster out there with a similar ability that could give you the stats to run this.

Remove ads