Help--Dysfunctional Party

Dimwhit

Explorer
This thread gets the award for post multiple posts... :)

Carebear, do the players get along, or is the disharmony among the party strictly a roleplaying issue. If it's strictly roleplaying, then you need to use your high-Charisma character to convince the party that the pirate's opinion needs to be valued a little more.

If the PLAYERS are unwilling, then you have problems on your hands.

One of my campaigns I play has a mess for a group. They don't get along, they lie to each other, etc. But that's only the roleplaying, the actual players get along great. So it can be frustrating, but fun at the same time.

the Jester

Legend
Sounds like the party needs a leader; sounds like your character should step up. Then, as leader, you can consult the pirate at will and implement his suggestions when they're worthy. It's the classic combo- he's the brains behind the pretty face (the bard).

I'm not sure why, but as I was reading this thread, I had the "Jaws" song in my head (thu thu thu thu thu thu THUDUDUH!)

What you have here, as others have pointed out, sometimes repeatedly, is a role-playing problem that can explose in a real-life problem, ie players getting frustrated because their characters get frustrated because of what the other characters do because of how the other players act.

(with a sentence like this, if I quadruple post somehow, I'm sure I'll rip a hole in the space-time continuum)

The bard should indeed step up as leader, and the pirates ideas should go through you. If the situation continues and it comes unbearable to you or some other players, you'll have to have a talk. Although the role-playing is very much appreciated, and the occasional ribbing is always welcome, perhaps group unity is more important (as it is a group game) than getting to role-play an obnoxious character.

AR

DM Toad

First Post
Well Carebear...I have encountered this situation a number of times over the years. On both sides of the DM screen.

There are a few things that I have learned.
- New groups need a 'breaking in' period, where group members get accustomed to each other in-game and out-of-game. It takes a few sessions for a new group to gel and find their 'groove'.
- There are many types of playing styles. Not all playing styles mix well.
- There is some fascination by players to roleplay 'uncooperative' characters.
- It is exceedingly difficult to keep in-game uncooperative play from creating out-of-game friction.
- If it is done well a level of 'in-game' friction is colorful and rewarding.
- Even in good groups there is an amount of out-of-game friction. Its just the nature of the game.
- Your DM is there to help and is necessary to direct group dynamics.

Here are a couple of things you can do. It sounds like you are playing in a relatively new group. This friction may just resolve itself in a few more sessions when the pirate saves the party's bacon a couple of more times and the members of your group start building a sense of group comradery.

As a player, I would first approach the DM with your concerns. If I were a DM and I heard that one of my players was losing interest in attending my gaming sessions I would rememdy the situation. Together you should be able to come up with a remedy. And the rememdy doesn't need to be drastic.

You can start by trying to remedy the problem in-game. Roleplay more attentiveness to the halfling. Roleplay a conversation where you show interest in the characters background, heritage, thoughts, convictions anything that brings an incharacter conversation. This will have the out-of-game affect of forcing the other members to listen to the person playing the halfling. It may not be combat related but it will start to get people involved.

The DM has a host of in-game remedies. Subtle or otherwise, to keep party dynamics in check.

If it continues to get worse, then you may have to summon the courage to bring it up to people at the table before a gaming session. Come prepared with how you feel and have a few examples of problem and always have a couple of ideas for solutions, great or small.

Rarely have I worked with groups that this can not be overcome. It almost always comes back around to better communication and building a group identity. Playing D&D is a skill in itself. An exercise in human communication and phsycology.

Ultimately though, its all about having fun. If you stop having fun and you can't get things worked out in the next few sessions. You just have to admit to yourself that this group is not what you are looking for and you need to find a different group that works better with your playing style.

Cordially,
DM Toad

Carebear2326

First Post
Thanks

SHARK said:
Greetings!

Well, Carebear, it sounds like you have your work cut out for you!:) In DM'ing my group, I always tell them, if they don't use tactics, then they will all die. Period. Now, even as the player, you, as the character, can step up and be the leader by demanding that the other characters pay attention and get with the program, or they will die. Your character doesn't have to go along with their stupid frontal attacks, and you can say this is what I think we should do, and do it; if they don't follow, you can still go off and do what you want, or at least not accompany them into a stupid death, and when they get slaughtered, it won't be because you weren't there, it will be because they were stupid and deserved to die!:) Hopefully, when the DM has them make up new characters, they will be lower level, meanwhile your character will be advancing, and be a higher level, and be in even a better position to not only lead, but also survive.

You have to be rough with some people, and demand that they get with the program and not be stupid! Remember to play your character with the intelligence and skill that is appropriate to your character! If this means that the rest of the party dies, then so be it! After they keep losing characters for their stupid actions, maybe they will get the point.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Thanks so much for the advice. Any advice for how to use tactics? My character is just a bard so me as a character, I really don't know many tactics. I think I will just maybe let them do the things they want because my character as a bard, there is no way that I can tell stories if I am dead. I will keep also in mind that my bard is Chaotic Neutral, so really doesn't feel the need to die to kill these orcs.

Thanks again for all the advice. I hope that things will go better tonight. In the meantime, I think I will just kinda try to have fun with a dysfunctional party in any way that I can.

Carebear2326

First Post

MarauderX said:
So what if he is an egotistical punk, he deserves it now after saving everyone. Whenever you get into a situation where the party is about to make a decision, have the halfling talk only to your high Cha bard, and use the bard to explain what you think you should do. If they are heavy into playing out their characters you should have much better luck to have the halfling's words coming from your PC's mouth instead of ever hearing it come from his.

As an aside, it sounds like the players don't really know how to play with a low Cha PC. Even liars and braggarts are trusted for their opinions once in a while, especially when proven correct time and again, and it's evident even in kids' cartoon shows. Besides, they don't have to like the halfling, but they can respect what he has to say about tactics.

I agree. To both me as a player & my character, it is very frustrating that they won't even aknowledge that he did pretty much save our party's bacon. He may be egotistical, but he really does have the best tactics in the party. I think I will probably have him talk to me before hand in private without the knowledge of any of the other characters. They from future things, even if I suggest it & say that it was from Bucky, the pirate, they almost always refuse to listen. Maybe if I just don't tell them as a character where the idea comes from, things might go more smoothly. My character has no problem with outright lying through her teeth just to get problems solved.

Again, thanks so much for the advice. I really needed it. I do hope that things go better tonight.

Carebear2326

First Post

Dimwhit said:
This thread gets the award for post multiple posts... :)

Carebear, do the players get along, or is the disharmony among the party strictly a roleplaying issue. If it's strictly roleplaying, then you need to use your high-Charisma character to convince the party that the pirate's opinion needs to be valued a little more.

If the PLAYERS are unwilling, then you have problems on your hands.

One of my campaigns I play has a mess for a group. They don't get along, they lie to each other, etc. But that's only the roleplaying, the actual players get along great. So it can be frustrating, but fun at the same time.

That is the wierd thing for me. The player groups themselves get along great in general, just in character, they do not get along at all. It is strictly a roleplaying issue. I did try that at our last gaming session, just trying to explain as diplomatically as possible that Bucky, the pirate, did have some great tactic ideas & that maybe we should listen to them more. They just totally blew me off & refused to even consider the option. I think today I will try to have Bucky talk to me about tactics in character without the rest of the party knowing that we discussed these things. My character has no problems embeleshing the truth a bit or just leaving out the detail that it was Bucky's idea. I will see how that works. I am also going to try & just have fun with the dysfunctional party. I have never experienced a party like this before, but I can always learn new things. I just hope that the game tonight goes better.
Thanks again for all the great advice.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Carebear2326 said:
I think I will just maybe let them do the things they want because my character as a bard, there is no way that I can tell stories if I am dead. I will keep also in mind that my bard is Chaotic Neutral, so really doesn't feel the need to die to kill these orcs.

If you really want to get into character you could tell lots of stories. Make up some history of how some ancient leader dealt with a tactical situation, and incorporate the ideas of the halfling into the stories.

I remember the Duke of Such-and-such once had to clear out a tower of Orcs. Oh, the tale is quite frightening and perhaps not for but the boldest of adventurers to hear, but allow me to share it with you now. It seems that once a frontal assault had failed the Duke, wise man that he was, decided to...

If the DM doesn't like you making up history for his world, tell him privately that your bard is making it all up and it doesn't matter if it is true, unless the other characters discover his deception. Even then, after a few successes, they may not care either...

Remove ads