D&D 5E Help find a good alchemist base class not focused on bombs and/or influenced by Dr Jekyll or Frankenstein

Greg K

Legend
Does anyone know of a good third party Alchemist base class with a hit d6, proficient in no armor, proficient with wizards weapons, and built around dealing with elixirs, poisons potions, powders, ointments, tinctures? Explosives are ok, but should not be the class focus which rules out many Alchemist bases classes that I have seen including the one by Mage Hand Press (in addition,many of the bombs in the MHP class were also wrong for my tastes and campaign).
I have also ruled out Tribaliity's Alchemist as subclasses did not meet my requirements.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Can't say I do. But I would be interested in your searches. I find that Alchemists are just defined as: "Potions, Poisons, and (lorewise magically distinct from, but mechanically just) Bombs I guess?" Which is a bit underwhelming to say the least.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's usually a good idea to start with what your class/subclass is inspired by, not what it is not.
This.

Do you want to base it on hermetic esoteric alchemical traditions, and include conjuring and binding spirits and elementals?

Do you want Thibaults Circle inspired alchemical sword fighters with a deep knowledge of anatomy, body mechanics, and geometry?

Do you want an advanced poisoner and item-based healer? Maybe with noxious gases, abilities to remove conditions fluffed as being via chemistry and stuff like smelling salts to end a stun?

Or something else entirely?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Haven't seen one.

Typically the fantasy alchemist in gaming in the adventure focuses on
  • Acid Bomb
  • Antitoxin Potion
  • Fire Bomb
  • Healing Potion
  • Mind Elixir
  • Philosopher's Stone
  • Poison Bomb
  • Speed Elixir
  • Strength Elixir
  • Transmutation Stone
  • Youth Potion
This usually boils down to bomber, healer, metal fraudster, jekyll, or frankenstien. Since D&D is fairly combat focused, most alchemist base classesI've seen boil down to throwing flasks, hulking out, ordering a monster, or straight up casting spells. It's rare to find pure healers. Since you are okay with poisons, many of the alchemist base class have poison options and just not make the fire bombs?

Greg K

Legend
I am fine with Apothecary, Poisoner, and even a subclass designed around greek fire/explosives, smoke bombs, flash powder, and even tanglefoot/adhesive bags/flasks (but not sunrods, electrical/lightning bombs, etc.). I just don't want a class built around bombs.

jgsugden

Legend
It sounds like you want a 5E wizard where the spells are reduced to a potion, tincture, powders, etc... I think you could do that with a custom wizard subclass with a 2nd level ability that allows you to cast a spell and place it in a device that allows for delayed delivery.

If you want to totally divorce them from spellcasting, I'd still use the wizard mechanics, but just refluff it.

Alteratively a sorcerer build might make more sense where they can only do a small number of potions that slowly grows. Instead of being the blood of a dragon, you could be infusing spirit into substances to create your magical concotions.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
It sounds like you want a 5E wizard where the spells are reduced to a potion, tincture, powders, etc... I think you could do that with a custom wizard subclass with a 2nd level ability that allows you to cast a spell and place it in a device that allows for delayed delivery.

If you want to totally divorce them from spellcasting, I'd still use the wizard mechanics, but just refluff it.

Alteratively a sorcerer build might make more sense where they can only do a small number of potions that slowly grows. Instead of being the blood of a dragon, you could be infusing spirit into substances to create your magical concotions.
I think I want something with concoctions/discoveries that recover on long and/or short rests- closer to warlock invocations than wizard spell levels. Mage Hand Press would have fine if the base class was not built around bombs (and many of the bombs including nuclear bomb were not what I wanted)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases