D&D 5E Help find a good alchemist base class not focused on bombs and/or influenced by Dr Jekyll or Frankenstein

Greg K

Legend
I don’t know what that is, but yeah Isaac Newton invented a lot of stuff and advanced other stuff, Paracelsus invented toxicology, alchemists invented optics, several tools still used in modern chemistry, and a bunch of other stuff.
Yes, they did more. Isaac Newton, however, is way after the period that I am interested in having influence the alchemist. Even the late 13th century when the first wearable spectacles were invented is later than I am interested Different strokes and all that.

Unwise

Adventurer
If you can relax some of your requirements, you can use pre-existing rules. I played a Dr Jeckyl character as a Moon Druid. He took the form of his alter-ego, a devil/orc hybrid that used bear stats. Then later giant gorilla stats. At higher levels it sprouted wings etc.

It is pretty easy to just refluff spells as steampunk medicine and alchemy. I found I only really used them out of combat anyway, as I relied upon my melee otherwise.

Goodberries / Cure Wounds = healing exilers
Enchance Ability = tonics
Acid Spray = literal acid sprayer in the arm of his coat
Entangle = sticky foam grenade

Remove ads