• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! (gasp) drowning in D&D options... (urk) so many... can't focus... (cough)

TrubbulTheTroll

First Post
[WARNING: Alarmist, humourous sililoquy follows. Do not be alarmed or angered!]

[scene opens on lone D&D player face toward sky, front lit, black background]

PLAYER - Is Wizards spoiling the brand with this torrent of crunchy bits? With new PC races, feats, classes, prestige classes and other options steadily pouring forth, do I dare chance coming up for air?

Where once planetouched and tiefling and genasi were exotic races to be explored, they have become the flavor of the week (and that was many, many, many weeks ago)...

Where prestige classes were once selected after advancing in a core class, new core classes that blur the lines between the original classes are dominating the field. The same goes for feats, classes, spells, magic options, etc. 3.5 assimilated a lot of previously published material and then began the race again.

This isn't about picking and choosing the options I like. And this isn't about designing a game the way I want to play (oh, I know I can do that!). What this is about is a fundamental shift in what D&D as a game is. The D&D landscape is changing drastically every, every, EVERY month with a myriad of options that tease, tug and pull players & DMs in all directions.

I am being pulled along. There is no stable ground. Take the plunge. No chance to catch my breath. Gotta get that new book. Gotta read fast and get it into my game. And then get other new book. Can't breath. Being pulled. Need help. No chance to catch my breath. New. Book. [fade to black]

I have to ask: Are we being crunchy bits'd to death?

[Audience applauds]

Gundark

Explorer
um....yes

especially with prcs and feats....wAAAAAAy to many prcs. reminds me of OCCs in palladium/rifts...embarressed to admit I ever played that system....

Voadam

Legend
Gotta get 'em all. Gotta get 'em all!

Capitalist puppet. You are being exploited by the industrialist complex!

After the revolution you will be satisfied with the srd alone and you will simply play, not consume, on the commune.

Gundark

Explorer
um....yes

especially with prcs and feats....wAAAAAAy to many prcs. reminds me of OCCs in palladium/rifts...embarressed to admit I ever played that system....

Gundark

Explorer
um....yes

Numion

First Post
Say what you say, but all the options can also make for very funny gaming. Nothing wrong with core only campaign though, our last one was like that. This week we started our all-out campaign. Everything goes.

We had a blast. Our group:

Gray Orc Cleric (me)
Arctic Dwarf Rogue
Deep Gnome Fighter
Half-Ogre Barbarian
Drow Cleric

(At second level 80% multiclassed, IIRC)

Diversity made for a very fun session. I'm playing sort ofr Uruk-Hai from TTT movie, Deep Gnome is a bit like gollum, and the others are nothing like LotR.

Our previous, core-only, campaign was excellent as well, so it just goes to show that you can enjoy the game either way.

The key is to use the options to your advantage. The moment you can't do that, don't use them. But for those who are able to use the extra crunch without problems, its very useful!

TrubbulTheTroll

First Post
Numion said:
Say what you say, but all the options can also make for very funny gaming. Nothing wrong with core only campaign though, our last one was like that. This week we started our all-out campaign. Everything goes.

We had a blast. Our group:

Gray Orc Cleric (me)
Arctic Dwarf Rogue
Deep Gnome Fighter
Half-Ogre Barbarian
Drow Cleric

(At second level 80% multiclassed, IIRC)

Diversity made for a very fun session. I'm playing sort ofr Uruk-Hai from TTT movie, Deep Gnome is a bit like gollum, and the others are nothing like LotR.

Our previous, core-only, campaign was excellent as well, so it just goes to show that you can enjoy the game either way.

The key is to use the options to your advantage. The moment you can't do that, don't use them. But for those who are able to use the extra crunch without problems, its very useful!

Alas poor Numian... you failed to grasp the point. It was not about core rules or funny combinations or diversity. Now reread mine post once more - this time with comprehension as your goal! :)

Psion

Adventurer
[Warning: Serious Reply]

Just pick a small selection (say, 3-6) of books that define and support the flavor of the game you are looking for, and ignore (or entertain only on a case by case basis) all others.

Frex, in the second world game I was running, it was mostly the Second World Sourcebook, Unholy Warrior Handbook, and Arsenal in addition to the core books, with a few tidbits from other books.

In the 20th level game we are returning to, it's the Epic Level Handbook, Book of Vile Darkness, and Plot & Poison that will define the opposition, with a few spells & classes from magic books like Relics & Rituals.

I wouldn't have a problem with so much WotC stuff if they kept to the same standards of balance. Flavor is my own concern, however.

Furthermore, many splatbooks are not tested with each other, so it's a bad idea to let a character take feats from both DotF and MotW, for instance.

Remove ads