D&D 5E [Help] Ghost of Saltmarsh Adaptation

atanakar

Hero
I'm currently working on a new Modern AGE campaign. It will be set in 1898 and take place in France. I want to use D&D's U1-2 & 3 as the story arc. U1 is very easy to adapt to that era. But U2 and U3 have Lizarmen and Sahuagins as protagonists. I don't want to use fantasy creatures in this campaign. How would you transform them, and the plot, to make them work in the «real world» of 1898?

atanakar

Hero
Sahuagins could be Barary Pirates from North Africa. I bit late for 1898 since they were eliminated in 1830 when France conquerer Algiers. Still, I could decide my Earth as an alternate were this has not happened... yet.

Who do you see as Lizardmen?

Location will be La Guérande, the closest city to the actual salt marshes near La Loire river. Largest closest city is Nantes (80km).

dave2008

Legend
If there are no fantasy creatures they are just humans aren't they? Do you really need a semi-historical tribe/gang/group/affiliation? Not sure what your after really, and I don't know enough about the time or location if you want historically semi-accurate information. But they are just people correct?

atanakar

Hero
If there are no fantasy creatures they are just humans aren't they? Do you really need a semi-historical tribe/gang/group/affiliation? Not sure what your after really, and I don't know enough about the time or location if you want historically semi-accurate information. But they are just people correct?

Having read the adventures U1-2-3 is required. It's about the overall plot of the series. [edit] The lizardmen and the Sahuagins play a specific geo-political role.

dave2008

Legend
Having read the adventures U1-2-3 is required. It's about the overall plot of the series. [edit] The lizardmen and the Sahuagins play a specific geo-political role.
I am aware, but it will just be people filling that same role. Heck the band of unruley pirates could be called "The Lizardmen" or perhaps "l'homme lézard" is more apporpriate?

atanakar

Hero
I am aware, but it will just be people filling that same role. Heck the band of unruley pirates could be called "The Lizardmen" or perhaps "l'homme lézard" is more apporpriate?

I'm looking for a political, ethnic or regional, historical group that would fit the role of the lizarmen in the series. Just changing the name I can do without asking here, obviously.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You may have to move the campaign. The Lizardmen / Sahaguin are based in the Philippine Islands (Spanish-American War = nobody is in charge) and are messing with the China trade.

atanakar

Hero
For the lizard men I decided to use a secret cult of Cathar knights who survived the Inquisition. They pretend to be a cloistered monastery deep in the swamp. Because they fear raids by Barbary pirates looking for slaves they now have a hand in the smuggling of weapons in the region. They are arming themselves. People of Saltmarsh are weary of these weird monks who never visit the town. Some believe they may even be responsible for the abduction of a few children over the decades.

atanakar

Hero
I felt that the "natural" home for Saltmarsh was 18th century Cornwall. The original writer was British, and I think it was influenced by this movie: City Under The Sea.

We are discussing this on the Dragonfoot forum :
« For a real world analog of the area, the easiest fit would be Devon, England, because as far as I can tell that is what Browne and Turnbull used when making their maps. http://www.manorhouse-seaton.co.uk/images/roadmap2.jpg »

Dragonfoot thread :

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases