Help, give some recomendations of Dark Fantasy TTRPG

If you want something set in the "Dark Age" of the real world and totally different from all the D20-based systems, you can look into the various Dark Ages sourcebooks from White Wolf Games. It is not a current setting, but the Storyteller system is still a good one:

aramis erak

Legend
There is a game I just got, and looking through it on a skim, it has many of the elements needed for Dark Fantasy, including simple, memorable rules for being driven insane and/or to posession.... Neoclassical Geek Revival 2e (by Zzarchov Kowolski)...
I picked it up on sale cheap, but I believe the sale ended today. (for normal list for the print, I got POD shipped and PDF)
It's a new OSR game but not a clone.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

While the dispute may have died down a bit, how about this: for purposes of this thread, those who want to use “Dark” or “Middle“ Ages, “Medieval”, “Han Dynasty” or any other similar terms that have formal regional connotations more informally, just use dates. “13th century” or “from 800-1000AD” so as not to confuse anyone.

…or worse, raise accusations of ”bad faith arguing” or “disingenuous“ assertions. Because that often winds up getting Mods involved. Q.E.D.

Zagalf

Villager
Is it just me, or are most first posts: what game should I play?

Zweihaender is a very good call. I recall another game that let you collect souls, in soul points equal to the character levels of your opponents, and let you buff up your spells in exchange for physical damage. Does that count as dark fantasy?
I would like to know the name

Zagalf

Villager
Shadow of the Demon Lord is another obvious choice, and I'm kind of ashamed that I forgot about it. SotDL is basically the love child of Warhammer Fantasy and D&D 5e, with flairs of the Diablo game franchise.
I was reading about shadow , very cool game, and I felt it's very simple to homebrew

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I would like to know the name
I'm drawing a blank. But it's an easy enough module to use, and I would add another grit-rule to the list:
  • Taking physical damage reduces your physical attribute(s).
  • Defeated enemies contribute to your Souls pool.
  • Casting magic spells damages/depraves the caster.

Cypher system might be a good game for this, since it basically already does these. If you can handle some home-brewing, try plugging that module into Modos RPG.

Remove ads