• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me about Expanded Psionics Handbook

Hi people I need some help. ;)
I'm from Spain and the Expanded Psionics handbook 3.5 will be available in July (more or less)
I have a dwarf (from athas) 20th lvl psychic warrior with those psionics feats
and powers:
Speed of thought
Inertial armor
Inner strength *2
Combat manifestation
Hide power
Extend power
Deep impact

0 Catfall- Burst- Detect psionic
1 Hustle- Call weaponry- Compression
2 Animal afinity- Combat prescience- Levitate- Expansion
3 Claws vampire- Displacement- Improved biofeedback
4 Dimensional door- Polymorf - Inertial barrier
5 Ectoplasmic armor- Energy barrier- Adapt body
6 Shield of prudence- Ablating
I like play with he but my master demands me wait until the book be available
Can anyone post the modifys (if anyone) of these Feats and Powers?
Thanks for all :lol:

Ps Sorry but my english is soo bad :p
Oscar

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oscar, I hate to say this, but you're really going to have to wait. The number of changes are numerous, and the modifications aren't simple enough that someone can explain them here and have them be usable. Even if they were, posting such information in detail wouldn't be appropriate.

I think you'll like the changes once you see the book. The SRD will probably be up before July, anyways.

Maybe we can give you the quick version. I'll do the feats I remember (my book isn't here):

Speed of thought - +10' insight bonus to movement if you're focused
Inertial armor - now an augmentable power.
Inner strength *2 - improved, iirc. Less necessary now, though, because you get bonus PPs for high wisdom.
Combat manifestation - same
Hide power - Gone. You can hide powers for free with a concentration check.
Extend power - Less necessary now. You expend your psionic focus to use it.
Deep impact - as before, but you expend your psionic focus. sionic weapon is the pre-requisite.

Last edited:

reiella

Explorer
Actually, Inner Strength is gone.

The closest to it would be taken Wild Talent, which would only give ya 2 pp total and can't be taken multiple times.

Also, Weapon Specialization be gone for PsyWars.

I'll touch on some of the powers, since I'm here :)

Ablating : Now Dispelling Buffer, PsyWar 6.

Shield of Prudence is now just part of Precognition, Defense [augmentable], a 1st level psy war power.

Ectoplasmic Armor? Gone, Inertial Armor is now a 1st level power that scales.

Energy Barrier, now Enegy Conversion, a 7th level Psion power.

Adapt Body, now 5th level PsyWar.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Can you explain what the Psionic Focus is? How it works? Is it something you manifest? Something you have to buy (ie a money sink, like spell components)?

Particle_Man

Explorer
reiella said:
Actually, Inner Strength is gone.

The closest to it would be taken Wild Talent, which would only give ya 2 pp total and can't be taken multiple times.

Actually, the feat Psionic Talent is the new Inner Strength. 2 pp the first time, 3 pp the second time you take it, then 4, 5, etc.

Staffan

Legend
RigaMortus said:
Can you explain what the Psionic Focus is? How it works? Is it something you manifest? Something you have to buy (ie a money sink, like spell components)?
Psionic focus is a state of mind. Attaining focus is a full-round action that requires a Concentration check of DC 20, and once you have it you retain it until you go to sleep, lose consciousness, lose your last PP, expend it, or maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting. Basically, you can assume you start each fight focused but it's not as easy getting back a focus you expend during the battle. There's a feat that lets you refocus as a move-equivalent action instead of a full-round action - if you have lots of feats that require expending your focus, that feat might be a good investment too.

Speaking of concentration, the XPH is the one book I've seen that has made me consider Skill Focus as a feat, because Concentration is a darn useful skill for most psionic characters. In addition to the uses spellcasters have for the skill (defensive casting/manifesting, cast/manifest while hurt or distracted), psionic characters also use it to hide displays (DC 15 - no more Hide Power feats) and regain focus (DC 20).

Kaji

First Post
RigaMortus said:

Psionic Focus is Concentration based and it is easy to get "focused". It does not cost money. Once your focus is lost (usually the consequence of using some feats or powers), you need to get refocused to use another power or feat that requires a focus. If in combat, that might be difficult, or they may not be time. There are feats that support making this easier.

Kaji

First Post
RigaMortus said:
What are some things you can do with your psionic focus? Can you give me some examples?

IIRC, its pretty much tied to using either a certain powers or certain feats. One of the things it does that makes a psion different from a wizard, for example, is a wizard can stack metamagic feats on top of each other to obtain a high level effect from a low level spell. While augmenting does a similar thing for psions, its not quite the same. And meta-psionic effects usually require expending your focus, so you can not stack up those effects. But, you could apply a mets-psionic effect to a power that you are alreay augmenting, which would be much the same. It a cool flavor effect that changes the way you can manifest powers. It might stop you from using your favorite power every round during a combat, so when you get the books, watch for it when you build your character so as not be over-dependent on powers that require you to expend your focus. You should look for a balance, I think.

Remove ads