D&D 5E Help me brainstorm a kingdom ruled by a golem

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Also, I think the Golem should be suffering from Pinocchio complex, with developing insecurities about the fact that it isn't "real". I'm thinking of how the Numnenoreans started to envy the elves and wanted immortality, and all the problems that caused.

jgsugden

Legend
A golem has a base intelligence of 3. As such, they make exceptional politicans.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Jokes aside, I'd look at this as more of a 'Wizard of Oz' scenario where the legend of the 'Golem King' exists, but in truth the golem is piloted by secret rulers that steal the throne back and forth by taking control of the golem. Perhaps a secret council exists and the members of the council vote on someone to control the golem for a set period of time. The PCs might be brought in when someone steals the method of controlling the golem and the person that is supposed to be in control doesn't want anyone else to find out it has been taken before it is used or the secret is revealed.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Couple of ideas:

It's not a standard golem. It could well be superintelligent. If it's capable of independent action, it could well be able to defeat all comers in combat. (In older editions they were immune to nearly all magic, after all.) Imagine one of the Transformers in a D&D world, and assume it doesn't have to worry about getting energon. It's easily more physically powerful than anything around.

With no biological children it will not be prone to the usual maneuvering that caused so much grief to real-life monarchs.

Hero of the people? Maybe 10 hedge mages raised it up from mine tailings through a ritual or something.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I like the idea that over the centuries the golem has developed something of a personality, even if it's just minor preferences for things. But it is EXTREME in its preferences. A rose once pricked the finger of a princeling... Because of this, NO ROSES shall ever be grown in the kingdom.

You might want to check out Age of Treason: The Iron Simulacrum for Mythras/RuneQuest 6- "You are a citizen of a great empire ruled by an unseen and immortal emperor through his viceroy, a magically animated statue known as the Iron Simulacrum."

My first thought was a gods of Lankhmar type situation. The people mostly manage their own affairs, and dread the rare situations when the Golem King takes it upon himself to get involved, because they know some sh*t is about to go down.

My first thought was a gods of Lankhmar type situation. The people mostly manage their own affairs, and dread the rare situations when the Golem King takes it upon himself to get involved, because they know some sh*t is about to go down.
That could make for an interesting scene.

The court has assembled for the weekly Briefing of the Regent Enduring, where the Seneschal of Writs presents to the golem the status reports from across the kingdom. Week after week, the seneschal reads the reports to the unmoving figure, waits the traditional two minutes for a response, bows, and then leaves. The collected nobles and courtiers spend the allotted three hours socializing, networking, deal making as they have since Their Majesties left. There is a constant buzz of conversation during this time; the respectful silence traditionally maintained during the report given the barest nod and often completely forgotten.

"... and this concludes the Briefing of the third week of Gemini, 47th year of our Majesties' reign. Your words, Regent Enduring?"

The quiet murmuring contiues. The laugh of Marquise de Meurtile as she flirts with the Baron van Linden is heard over the intense but quiet discussion of the three Marchers of the Southlands.

"ATTEND."

Silence, abrupt and total. It is as if the tapestries found a voice. That which doesn't speak has, and although their Majesties said that this would happen, it was a long time ago.

"CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD, ARREST COUNT TWINRIVER AND COUNT SESHTRA FOR SEDITION."

At first, nothing happens. Then, finding his voice first Count Twinriver takes a step forward. "What is this madness?" he addresses his fellow nobles. "Who uses this puppet to slander me?"

The grinding of metal echoes through the hall as the Regent Enduring turns their head to look at the Captain of the Guard. "CAPTAIN MONTROSE, BY YOUR OATH ATTEND. ARREST COUNT TWINRIVER AND COUNT SESHTRA FOR SEDITION!" The Captain, startles, strides towards the counts to place them under arrest. "COUNTS, YOU HAVE REVEALED YOURSELVES THROUGH GRAIN SHIPMENTS, IRON PURCHASES, TRAVEL OF YOUR KNIGHTS. YOUR PLANS ARE TRANSPARENT. YOU WILL REVEAL YOUR GOALS AND ALLIES UNDER QUESTION." The Regent Enduring turns its gaze to a group of adventurers invited to the Briefing through the favor of a noble patron. "ATTEND. TWINRIVER AND SESHTRA'S PLOT REQUIRES MORE THAN A SIMPLE UNRAVELING. THE CROWN HAS NEED OF AGENTS SUCH AS YOURSELVES. WILL YOU SERVE?"

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him

The court has assembled for the weekly Briefing of the Regent Enduring, where the Seneschal of Writs presents to the golem the status reports from across the kingdom. Week after week, the seneschal reads the reports to the unmoving figure, waits the traditional two minutes for a response, bows, and then leaves. The collected nobles and courtiers spend the allotted three hours socializing, networking, deal making as they have since Their Majesties left. There is a constant buzz of conversation during this time; the respectful silence traditionally maintained during the report given the barest nod and often completely forgotten.

"... and this concludes the Briefing of the third week of Gemini, 47th year of our Majesties' reign. Your words, Regent Enduring?"

The quiet murmuring contiues. The laugh of Marquise de Meurtile as she flirts with the Baron van Linden is heard over the intense but quiet discussion of the three Marchers of the Southlands.

"ATTEND."

Silence, abrupt and total. It is as if the tapestries found a voice. That which doesn't speak has, and although their Majesties said that this would happen, it was a long time ago.

At first, nothing happens. Then, finding his voice first Count Twinriver takes a step forward. "What is this madness?" he addresses his fellow nobles. "Who uses this puppet to slander me?"

The grinding of metal echoes through the hall as the Regent Enduring turns their head to look at the Captain of the Guard. "CAPTAIN MONTROSE, BY YOUR OATH ATTEND. ARREST COUNT TWINRIVER AND COUNT SESHTRA FOR SEDITION!" The Captain, startles, strides towards the counts to place them under arrest. "COUNTS, YOU HAVE REVEALED YOURSELVES THROUGH GRAIN SHIPMENTS, IRON PURCHASES, TRAVEL OF YOUR KNIGHTS. YOUR PLANS ARE TRANSPARENT. YOU WILL REVEAL YOUR GOALS AND ALLIES UNDER QUESTION." The Regent Enduring turns its gaze to a group of adventurers invited to the Briefing through the favor of a noble patron. "ATTEND. TWINRIVER AND SESHTRA'S PLOT REQUIRES MORE THAN A SIMPLE UNRAVELING. THE CROWN HAS NEED OF AGENTS SUCH AS YOURSELVES. WILL YOU SERVE?"
This is fantastic!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Is it still Int 3 Wis 11 Cha 1

Or go with a Doombot

"ATTEND."

Now this I like alot. Absolutely thinking of ways to yoink it now….

Attachments

• 689BC06E-9CE4-4343-8ABC-6BE94F6848B0.webp
    166.9 KB · Views: 41

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases