Help me build Zatoichi

BenjaminB

First Post
OK, for those who know, I want to build a nice Zatoichi style character with as few system hacks as possible.

Zatoichi is the main character is an amazing long-running Japanese chambara (historical swordplay action) film and TV series. He is a blind wandering masuer and gangster who also happens to be among the dedliest swordsman in the world with his Iai technique- a school of swordplay which is all about speed. Some Iai sword masters would have duels while kneeling before one another- fastest blade wins. The ideal is a draw-slash-resheath attack so fast the blade is resheathed before the oponent even falls.

Beyond this, he was blind. His other senses compensated somewhat, but he wasn't Daredevil.

In terms of fighting style in D&D terms, I think he would be Fighter/Rogue with a high Bluff & Hearing scores, and Blindfighting (at least) along with feats which allow him to go first (inproved init), make extra AoO (he favored a defensive style by which he only attacked if attacked himself- in fact, he almost couldn't attack because he could't see his foes, only react to them as he heard them coming in close).

He didn't have Blindisght, but didn't suffer penalties for being Blind in combat (a bit better than Blindfighting I think). Frankly, I'm a bit stumped.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

-Ben

Arc

First Post
If you can, pick up a copy of Oriental Adventures. The Iaijatsu Duel rules in it sound like what you're looking for, and the new Samurai core class is all about katana wielding. A new feat, Karmic Strike, allows you to counterattack your opponents if you take -4 to AC, and there are a couple of PrC that would work too.

Angcuru

First Post
Arc said:
If you can, pick up a copy of Oriental Adventures. The Iaijatsu Duel rules in it sound like what you're looking for, and the new Samurai core class is all about katana wielding. A new feat, Karmic Strike, allows you to counterattack your opponents if you take -4 to AC, and there are a couple of PrC that would work too.

Well if he's playing a Zatoichi-style char, chances are he's got Oriental Adventures or some such 3rd party similarity. If you're playing Zatoichi, you play him in a Japanese-style setting, or you need to be dipped in mustard and run through a briar patch.

Remove ads