Help Me Create My Homebrew - Skill System

shadow

First Post
After some absence from gaming, I've decided to come back to work on my homebrew that I have been toying around with for several years. I was originally planning/playing it with straight 3e rules. However, with all the d20 options available and the release of 4e, I decided to completely redo the rules system to make it better fit my vision. Essentially, I am doing a high fantasy world where magic is rare, but powerful (I am using Green Ronin's True Sorcery). Since I am redoing classes and races, I thought that I might as well redo other areas of d20 that I feel could use improvement...

That brings me to today's thread - the skill system. I always had some problems with the skill system in 3e/3.5e as it stood. I works fine on lower levels, but I've found that it tends to break down at mid-high levels. There are a number of problems inherent in it.

One is the escalating DCs that the DM is required to come up with to keep players on their toes. By 12th level, a character with max ranks in a class skill automatically suceeds tasks with an average difficulty (DC 15) and difficult tasks (DC 20) 75% of the time - without taking into account ability modifiers. By the time a character reaches high levels most tasks can be accomplished without even rolling. To compensate for the problem I have noticed DMs just assigning higher difficulty to tasks and because they are "epic" difficulty. (This is a swim check of DC 35 because you are in a raging "epic river".) Of course, I like the idea of characters getting more skilled and even doing "epic" feats with skills when appropriate; the problem is that the it becomes too much of a "easy or impossible" at higher levels.

The second problem I have with the d20 skill system is the idea that a roll of a 1 is always a failure. That idea is apparently there to keep some element of chance in a system that otherwise would give high level characters an automatic sucess on certain skill checks. The problem is that no matter how skilled high level characters get, they still have a flat 5% chance of failure with every skill check.

The final problem is that at higher levels there is a very high discrepancy between class skills and cross class skills. Class skills get to absurdly high levels, while cross class skills (assuming they are maxed out) are only half as high. This leads to characters who are experts at one area, but impotent in other areas.

Sorry about the rather long rant, but I wanted you to understand where I am coming from in regards to the skill system. With that said, I would like to know if anyone has experimented with a modified or alternate skill system, and how it worked. I don't want to go too far astray from d20 - I want a system that will mesh with the rest of d20 rules. Could anyone give me some advice about or ideas about a skill system that addresses the problems that I
mentioned above.

Edheldur

First Post
The second problem I have with the d20 skill system is the idea that a roll of a 1 is always a failure.
Uhm... no. Quoting from the SRD: "Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the d20 is not an automatic success, and a natural roll of 1 is not an automatic failure."

The final problem is that at higher levels there is a very high discrepancy between class skills and cross class skills. Class skills get to absurdly high levels, while cross class skills (assuming they are maxed out) are only half as high. This leads to characters who are experts at one area, but impotent in other areas.
Actually, I hate that too. In my actual campaign, cross-class skills cost 1 skill point per rank, although their max ranks is still limited; and if any one of a character's classes has a skill as a class skill, it's always considered a class skill for him.

I also adapted the concept of Skill Groups -as presented in Iron Heroes- to make a more compact list of skills -kinda like the 4th Edition list- and so far it has worked great. It gives characters way more options without increasing a class skill points per level, and creating high level characters is way more simple this way (no more counting how much does a skill rank cost depending on when did the character bought it).

Last edited:

Kerrick

First Post
I'm with you, shadow. That's why I overhauled the skills system about six months ago. this is the result.

To summarize:

All skills cost 1 point; class skills grant a one-time +3 bonus.

Synergy bonuses are gone - the DM can choose to assign a +2 bonus on a case-by-case basis based on complementary skills, per the aid another rules.

The skill list is cut down a bit - many skills (hide/MS, disable device/open lock, etc.) have been combined.

I took some of the less ludicrous "epic use" DCs and incorporated them into the system, adjusting the DCs as necessary.

This system also incorporates a couple sub-revisions - the Craft skill, new Perception (Listen/Spot) rules, expanded Knowledge, language rules (written and spoken), and expanded Perform.

I've modified the skill system too, basically 4e-ing it.

I've grouped a lot of skills (I have 20 now, but they cover every 3.5 skill). You are either trained in a skill (your base skill bonus becomes your level + 3) or untrained (your base skill bonus becomes ½ your level). Some skill uses are still Trained only.

My skill list is:
Acrobatics (DEX) (Balance, Escape Artist, Ride, Tumble)
Arcana (INT) (Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device)
Athletics (STR) (Climb, Escape Artist, Swim)
Bluff (CHA) (Bluff, Disguise)
Concentration (CON) (Concentration)
Craft (INT) (Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Forgery)
Dungeoneering (INT) (Knowledge (dungeoneering), Survival)
Heal (WIS) (Heal, Autopsy)
History (INT) (Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility))
Intimidate (CHA) (Intimidate)
Intuition (WIS) (Sense Motive, Assess Opponent)
Legerdemain (DEX) (Disable Device, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Use Rope)
Linguistics (INT) (Speak Language, Decipher Script, Create Cipher)
Nature (WIS) (Handle Animal, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Survival)
Perception (WIS) (Listen, Search, Spot)
Perform (CHA) (Perform)
Profession (WIS) (Profession)
Religion (WIS) (Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (the Planes - ie where the gods reside))
Social (CHA) (Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (local))
Stealth (DEX) (Hide, Move Silently)

I've ditched skill-boosting feats (except from Skill Focus). Characters must use a feat to gain training. 1st-level characters automatically gained training in a couple of skills (depending on the class).

AR

shadow

First Post
Uhm... no. Quoting from the SRD: "Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the d20 is not an automatic success, and a natural roll of 1 is not an automatic failure."

Ooops...you're right about that. The funny thing is that the group that I played with used the "1 is a failure" houserule so long, I started thinking that it was an official rule. The fact still stands, though, that I have a lot of problems with the d20 skill system.

Angrydad

First Post
I've modified the skill system too, basically 4e-ing it.

I've grouped a lot of skills (I have 20 now, but they cover every 3.5 skill). You are either trained in a skill (your base skill bonus becomes your level + 3) or untrained (your base skill bonus becomes ½ your level). Some skill uses are still Trained only.

My skill list is:
Acrobatics (DEX) (Balance, Escape Artist, Ride, Tumble)
Arcana (INT) (Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device)
Athletics (STR) (Climb, Escape Artist, Swim)
Bluff (CHA) (Bluff, Disguise)
Concentration (CON) (Concentration)
Craft (INT) (Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Forgery)
Dungeoneering (INT) (Knowledge (dungeoneering), Survival)
Heal (WIS) (Heal, Autopsy)
History (INT) (Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility))
Intimidate (CHA) (Intimidate)
Intuition (WIS) (Sense Motive, Assess Opponent)
Legerdemain (DEX) (Disable Device, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Use Rope)
Linguistics (INT) (Speak Language, Decipher Script, Create Cipher)
Nature (WIS) (Handle Animal, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Survival)
Perception (WIS) (Listen, Search, Spot)
Perform (CHA) (Perform)
Profession (WIS) (Profession)
Religion (WIS) (Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (the Planes - ie where the gods reside))
Social (CHA) (Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (local))
Stealth (DEX) (Hide, Move Silently)

I've ditched skill-boosting feats (except from Skill Focus). Characters must use a feat to gain training. 1st-level characters automatically gained training in a couple of skills (depending on the class).

AR

First of all, what happened to Jump? It's not listed in the Athletics skill or anywhere else that I noticed. Second, why do you have some skills from the 3.5 list bunched into two of your new skills? Escape Artist is now a part of Athletics and Acrobatics? That makes no sense to me. Athletics should be Strength based, Acrobatics is Dexterity based, so Escape Artist should only be in Acrobatics.

I like the idea a lot, some skills get absolutely no use in my 3.5 game, but at the same time I understand why they did it this way. Just because you're good at hiding from people doesn't mean you're also good at moving quietly. It's all about the simulationist in me, but I can see why some people might condense skill lists for simplicity.

Remove ads