• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me DESTROY the Forgotten Realms

Sinistar

I agree with Malakye. The realms has enough problems that you really don't have to unleash more.

I run almost exclusively in the realms. I only have one player who knows anything beyond what has occured in campaign. And whenever he asks if he knows a NPC the answer is always "no".

Now if you do want to take out the major NPCs, there is a simple and elegant way to do it that really doesn't have to change the world too much. Shar has been working up the "Shadow weave" and building her power base. Using the combined might of some of her own chosen, she summons something nasty that will attract all of the chosen to one place. Once they are there, she simply shifts them into the shadow weave. They are powerless to escape, and cut off from their power source. Of course it will take all of Shar's chosen to hold them as well, so you have both sides neutralized.

I personally think that if you are starting 3rd, there are enough terrors in a orc horde approaching Silverymoon that you don't need to drop a meteor on them.

Of course, meteors are always fun...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Three words:

Ia! Ia! Ia!

I pulled this in a campaign I'm running, and my FR will never be the same after Elminster became a gibbering mass of madness...

It's amazing what you can do to FR in general by switching the magic system over to a more gritty one. FR is quite magic-rich, so suddenly if all magic, say, can only come from evil outsiders, well...there's gonna be trouble brewin' in the realms...:)

Melkor

Explorer
First off, thanks for all of the input so far. Good stuff.

By 'destroying the Realms' I was looking more towards bad guys having taken over a majority of Faerûn, more than a total Apocolypse....but great
ideas folks.

Without having a significant knowledge of the Forgotten Realms - I'm trying to decide where to start the characters, and what to have them do that will lead up to City of the Spider Queen.

While they are doing this, certain evil powers will be on the rise (again, I don't know the Realms well, but I was thinking of having multiple evil groups on the rise. If I remember correctly, the main point of City of the Spider Queen is stopping some kind of magic eminating from an underground Drow City.....If the characters allow this to happen, it will just add to the chaos).

With that in mind, I have a few more questions:

Where should I start the characters ? I would rather focus on one area of the Realms, so that I don't have to read and keep track of the entire FR Campaign Book and the Silver Marches book. If I could focus on an area, it would help a lot.....It doesn't have to be in the Dale lands, but the characters will have to end up near them by 10th level for City of the Spider Queen.

What evil bad guys are around the area suggested ? (I only know of the Drow and the Zhentarim as the baddies in FR off the top of my head....How would they play in - if at all, and who else is bad in the area suggested) ?

Finally, how far would you suggest taking it ? I was thinking that a large chunk of Faerûn would be a warzone, but there would be holdout areas, areas of refuge, and parts of the continent untouched by war.

Thanks again for your input.

s/LaSH

First Post
Maybe I'm a little late here, but I had one suggestion...

Elminster turns evil.

Why? I don't care. He does. But being however many centuries old and smart, he's perfectly capable of pulling the strings to bring the whole contintent come crashing into flames while seeming to be a nice old man in a tower somewhere. Heck, maybe he's been evil all along and was just amassing power... that'd make a little more sense, I guess.

Anyway, I just liked the idea. I don't even know what the realms look like, but I do know this would be quite the change...

Hygric

First Post
Want to make the realms dark and nasty? Have the weave and mystra dissapear. Shar now takes over full time as a goddess of magic and the shadow weave becomes the norm.

Templetroll

Explorer
The FRCS has the Harpers with a schism, intensify that so they are sometimes in opposition. One group of the Harpers should oppose the Silver Marches as they try to civilize the area too much.

Have all of Elminster's relationships go sour. Just that many angry women with power can make things grim for El-boy at least. :D

Make old Many-Arrows a bit more successful wiht his orcs and that will put a damper on things.

Forget all the happy gods and goddesses and focus on Shar and Selune's tiff. Just make things messy at night. Those Shades can be fine foes, and let that desert just keep growing.

view the map of the North with a spiderweb overlay and just work plots along the strands of the web. Lead them nicely into the module.

DM_Matt

First Post
The following is pasted from the origional recruitmet for my Against the Storm pbp. There might be some useful ideas in it:

his campaign will take place in the Realms in 1380DR, but the origins of the dire situation facing the free peoples of those North is far older. Several years before, it was discovered that when the first humanoids arrived on Toril, elf-like creatures marooned in wrecked spacecraft after losing a pivotal battle with an enemy race, the Spirits of the land ruled over all life and land.

Some spirits welcomed the newcomers, while others sought their destruction. A great war ensued, and the newcomers and their allies were victorious, binding their vanquished foes into the dark side of nature, such as storms, predatory instincts, and volcanos. The victorious spirits, however, became the elder gods, such as Corellon, Tyr, Lathander, and Mystral. But the Earth Mother remained powerful, and became bitter at the betrayal of some of her children, and the binding of others. She plotted to destroy the newcomers and their offspring, free her children, and return the world to its natural state. She always had many worshippers, who usually worshipped in secret far from civilization. Eventually she became known to her followers as Tiamat (as per the original Babylonian Tiamat, not the MoTP one....similar to the canon Realms one), but she had other names and aspects, too, often devouring and replacing newborn gods, Shar being the most significant among them.

As Tiamat bided her time, species evolved and civilizations developed. The rise of the human magocratic city-states of Netheril was particularly bloody, as the Netherilese Arcanists sought to dominate all within their reach. The suffering of the goblinoids became so great that their god resorted to turning to Shar for aid. Shar caused to be born among the ogres a mighty and noble populist hero, not of common ogre stock, but an Oni (Ogre Mage) like those found far to the East. The god of the goblinoids was grateful for the gift, and favored the hero, whose original name is lost to history, granting him the prowess and charisma to unite his brethren against their human oppressors. While many of his raids were highly successful, and indeed were a catalyst to cause the Netherilese to create their flying enclaves and flee form their insecure ground territories, he knew that he could never truly achieve victory. Desperate, he allowed the demonic blood within him to get the better of his noble soul, and he bargained with the most powerful of the captive Spirits, the Spirit of Storms, absorbing some of his power and his evil, and even renaming himself Storm. He was eventually defeated, and the Arcanists who vanquished him reported that he had been slain, but in reality, they had bound him in what they thought was an eternal prison. Storm was far more powerful than they expected, however, as the Arcanists knew not the ancient evil that he represented. Slowly, Storm gathered more and more strength from the land with each passing storm, and over the millennia, he was able to gather enough of his former power to escape.

Meanwhile, as Tiamat watched her son grow mighty and free, she sowed dissension among the peoples of Toril. Even after Storm had freed himself and mother and son had set to releasing the other spirits and gathering allies, the world remained occupied with other problems of Tiamat's devising. Planar Rakshasa summoned by Tiamat's agents subverted rulers in the East, leading to war, strife, and confusion. The forces of good became haughty and invaded Sembia to reestablish the Elven Court in Cormanthar. A resurgent Sembia, ruled by a Spirit-posessed murderous dictator created large-scale war yet again. The Thayans and the Zhentarim were unusually active. Bane was reborn. One of Tiamat's plots nearly resurrected Myrkul. But it was all a distraction. She cared not for the outcome of the events that she engineered. For in the far North, Storm gathered an army, culled from goblinoids from throughout Toril, and some beings form the planes beyond. Combining the harsh, powerful discipline of his iron rule with the charisma of the hero whose body he still inhabits, he created the best-trained, best-equipped goblinoid army ever assembled, uniting Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Kobolds, Ogres, Oni, Wyverns, and other beasts, demons, and monsters, some summoned, some bred or created through magical experiments in one unholy horde.

When, aided by his part-freed brethren, he marched Southward, the forces of good, united by a somewhat ruthless group of worthies who called themselves "The Council" was unable to defeat them. Marching Southward, Storm divided his opponents, isolating Silverymoon, Evereska, and the Fey of the High forest under the command of the mighty druid Kurdin and the Turlang Treants, from eachother and from the other free territories.

A counteroffensive opened up the road to Silverymoon, and it was there that a great battle was fought. At Silverymoon, many of the mightiest beings in all Faerun converged, and nearly all were slain. In the end, the city fell, but so did tens of thousands of Storm's horde. Many of the Spirits were also defeated, but soon will return, as they cannot be slain by normal means.

After the fall and occupation of Silverymoon, Storm's forces, balking at the prospect of invading Evereska of challenging Kurdin in his home wood, were able to push on further south instead, until the combined forces of the North, fortified by reinforcements form abroad, managed to solidify their lines. Most inland city-states are now occupied by Storm's forces or ruled by Vichy-like collaborator states, but the Sword Coast, protected by the still-unmatched (but often challenged by the collaborator Luskanite Vikings) naval might of the elven fleet, and some nearby inland areas that the surviving metropoli of Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, and Neverwinter can protect, remain free.

Although matters are bleak, all is not lost. It is thought that the reason why the Council defended Silvermoon to the death is that someone(s) or something(s) was in the city at the time. Something that could save mankind. For it is thought that a researcher in Silverymoon, using information from her former affiliation with the Council (before a rather nasty falling-out), was working for personal, veangence-related reasons towards a method to destroy the Spirits, (Called "The Ancients" by most) and Tiamat the Earth-Mother once and for all. Perhaps those who survived may have recovered enough information to salvage her work. Or perhaps the mage, whose body has never been found, still lives. More importantly, however, it has been long-rumored that agents of the Council traveled through time to ancient Netheril, and brought back a child. It is said that this child was chosen by the gods to be the savior of mankind, and gifted with mystical powers and near-infinite potential. However, in the alternate time stream before The Council interfered, the child was killed before coming of age, and thus the will of the gods never came to pass. Perhaps in this reality, the child survived the battle, and still lives to claim her destiny.....

Angcuru

First Post
Come to think of it, the Realms were pretty much leveled about 130 years ago in MY Forgotten Realms. Bhaalspawn duking it out and all that. Cities razed, mountains moved, chickens eaten, you know the drill.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads