• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help me find a name for "warforged" in my campaign

atom crash

First Post
How about Armoured Souls?
Good call.

Because I've been imagining Archemaign with a definite Germanic influence (and its ally is definitely Nazi-like) I'm leaning toward calling them the panzergeist, a (very) loose translation of "armored soul" or "armored spirit."

arscott

First Post
panzergeist is really cool--Definately sounds Nazi-like.

The thing to remember is that there probably won't be an official name for these things for perhaps even 50 years. The gnomes will call them one thing (probably living armors, or some variation that represents how the experiment has been twisted, such as tainted armors). the Archemaign will call them something else (such as panzergeist). Soldiers in the army that uses them will probably give them some kind of dismissive nickname (such as cogs or clanks), and Soldiers in the opposing army will have some kind of sinsiter nickname (machine terrors, geardevils, armorbeasts, etc) The leaders of the two warring countries will probably have a more formal name for them (automata), or might take the lead of the Archemaign (for the allies), or the remaining gnomes/the party/the soldiers on the battlefield/however they find out (for the enemies).

Finally, at some point, these things are going to come up with a name for themselves, probably something that de-emphasizes both their machinelike state and war-influenced origins, while highlighting the similarities with the non-construct races. For that, I'd suggest the cousins.

DonTadow

First Post
I use "The Forged" for the war forged in my game. But that was before they rebelled against theri masters.

Now they are called "Cleansers of the Flesh". The civilians of the land find that name a little too "unfriendly" so they've nicknamed them after hte model number they have AMU-2222 is the most common unit. But Pcs have fought higher number depending on what viscious metal construct I can scrum up. (amu= artificial magical unit)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There should be many names, most of them derogatory.

Thud
Clank
Clunk
Scrap

Individuals should have nicknames, too:
Rusty
Bolts
Doorknob
Shiny
Scrappy

Cheers, -- N

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Didn't Dragonstar have a mechanical race called soulmechs?

How about: (c)rystal (o)perated (g)nomish (s)imulacrum or COGS? Unfortunately like many of our own words, it eventually degenerates into a slur.

Depending upon how they fight, the opposition might refer to them as Rippers or Fleshborers, etc. Possibly the first encounter is what gives them their name but I'm at a loss for any examples.

Remove ads