• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me Kill a PC

Zipster

Explorer
I know, I know, I'm the DM - I can at moments notice have Death himself appear and take away this PC; I can have him unwittingly anger a group of dragons and all sorts of other beasts in which survival would be impossible.

But, that doesn't sound fun, nor does it seem fair enough to fit my intentions. This is my first post here, by the way, I've been lurking for a while and decided to register recently. So far, I like what I see - but, that's all besides this point!

I'll be DMing in my friend's campaign in the near future; he's been running a 2nd Edition adventure set in a modified version of the Forgotten Realms. He has an over-arching story he is wanting to achieve, but is also looking to do some playing. This is all fine and dandy. The issue is that the DM has been playing while DMing also by having his character rather front and center. This, while problematic in some ways, has been dealt with and forgiven.

I suspect that his character, a pure fighter created with the Optional Rule books, has been meticulously crafted; as would be said here, I believe he has been min-maxed, but have not actually seen his character sheet (and, honestly, I like the Roleplaying and storycrafting aspects of DnD more than the system and mathematical aspects, so I probably wouldn't fully understand it if I saw it right now anyway).

Now, I have a very rough idea of how things will play out, but... well, recent developments have lead me to wish for some sadistic situations for this particular character to have to traverse. I'm working on situations which will, at the least, damage the characters reputation and bother the character at a very personal level, but... well, I can't help but feel I want to do more.

The very streamlined plot of the adventure is that a very powerful Psionic has heard of the character and has simply decided to prove himself better, and has put a lot of energy into humiliating this character. After a series of puzzles and challenges, the party will eventually come face to face with the mastermind (pun intended!) yet will not realize it; as the mastermind will appear to be the hostage of what the players will initially think is the mastermind: an Ulatharid who has been dominated by the psionic.

Now, in theory, I should have no problem killing this character. An Ulatharid can kill in 1d3 turns once it grabs it's target; it can turn a character feeble-minded with it's mind-blast. Yet, according to the Monsterous Compendium, it's max HP is 96 (hit die of 11 + 8)... and the party's ranger is capable of killing it in a single turn. Basically, the DM has really beefed up characters and has made life relatively easy for them. With access to teleports, words of recall, capes that enabling flying, and many other things, the group is certainly more potent than a normal group of level 13 people should be.

Add ontop of this the fact that people have, in the past, have tried to kill the DM's character and failed. When I talked to him, I mentioned that there would be severe risk in what I am planning to run, and wanted to ensure he was okay with that. His response sounded more like a challenge, "If you can kill me, then good job."

Originally the intent was to humiliate the character, now... I find the desire to at least debilitate him to be very strong. But. I want to do it fairly. I don't want it to be an impossible situation where there is only one gaurenteed outcome; I want to thoroughly outsmart him (which, since he has been gaming since the 80's, while I just began a few years ago, I lack experience to thoroughly plan for many things). So, if anyone has some particularly devious situations that are still within the realm of fairness (step-and-die traps are a bit unappealing) then I would love to hear of them.

If it helps, the party's dedicated healer is a Cleric NPC, whom I don't believe I'll allow to participate in the adventure.

Thanks for your time!

Dandu

First Post
Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

So, how many Explosive Runes can your mastermind afford?

Last edited:

Zipster

Explorer
I'm sure he could afford enough to use for many dastardly things. In fact... his primary method of communication was going to be via letters and notes - either found at the end of an area, or suddenly within a characters possession. I'm sure an explosive rune would make a good signature... =)

Dandu

First Post
I say you stock the room below the mastermind full of explosive substances and detonate them when the PCs arrive.

Empirate

First Post
That sounds like a very un-fun campaign to me. The player is humiliated at every turn by a DM-controlled menace for a while, then killed off, no chance of survival. Is that really how you want to structure a game, after this statement:

"I like the Roleplaying and storycrafting aspects of DnD more than the system and mathematical aspects"

???

How does your "plot", complete with foregone conclusion of the outcome, further roleplaying and storycrafting? How does it further anything but a petty, petty vendetta between player-DMs?

Really, you decided to kill a PC, go ahead and do it. Don't bother with asking how, with in-game consistency or whatever, since for the PC it doesn't matter anyway... pointless game is pointless.

As an aside, if you want to step in as DM and "master" the dungeon, i.e. the game, for a 13th level party with above-average power - then you should really get reading and understanding the game's mechanics right now. Not being able to understand a character sheet (I'm assuming you're joking, but still) is a serious, even crippling defect if you want to DM, best do something about it.

[/RANT]

Ragmon

Explorer
[Evil Way]
The usual solution to such problem would be Coup De Grace him while he sleeps ... then turn to the DM and say..."Its not about luck, its a matter of you going to sleep".

[Non-evil]
Or just tell the DM-PC, that he is unwanted and give him your reason...In game, our directly to the DM's face.
In game is more fun, its the only thing the DM wont expect.

- Funny how the only time the DM had a PC running was a 12-14 year old girl, and even then it was fun, and sort of weird cause he was good at role-playing her. :p

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
If the Mastermind is Psionic, how strong is this Fighter's Will Saves?
Various forms of Dominate come to mind. Don't kill him, control him and turn him against the rest of the party. Let battle ensue. Once you have control of the PC, ask for the character sheet so you have access to knowing what he can do.
Perhaps even allow the player to retain control of his PC, but he now HAS TO fight the rest of the party. It's now in the hands of the remaining party members to kill the PC themselves, or come up with a creative solution.
Establish enough back up plans to keep your Mastermind safe and remaining in control of the Fighter. He's been planning a long time for this, see that he's safe from being killed by the party members who would try to break the Dominate effect.

saskganesh

First Post
DM PC's are really NPC's. If you want to run a game tell him that he needs a new (and real) player character and not one who is "special" and had the deck stacked for him from the get go.

"He has an over-arching story he is wanting to achieve"

Is this story, one involving the DMPC as front and centre? In a multi-player game, there's a lot of unfun problems with this approach. I advise you not to do it.

Remove ads